Opinions on Uniforms for 2014--helped or hindered?

Call me a sucker for consistency, and tradition. I miss when the corps had one consistent style, and the guard changed their look according to the show.

That being said, I am tired to seeing corps in entirely different looks every year. Yeah, I get it, its design from the field to the show, to the very last feather in the plume. Its still a waste of money to me and it takes away identity that the corps worked for (insert number) of years to create.

I appreciate that Cadets keep their same unis every year. Yes friends, you heard it here, I enjoyed something about the Cadets that wasn't only from the 1990s. I appreciate that Troopers and BAC have a consistent look, even if they change bits here and there.

I dislike the idea of Crown changing every year. This year was especially grossed out by their unis.

I dislike that so many feel they need to have new unis every year to compete. Be you, and stop trying to be something you're not.

I'm talking to you Crown, Madison (even if you're in my blood), Phantom, and the rest... PUT, IT, BACK to the way it was. BE YOU. Stop this Star crap where you think you need a new look every darn year.

ok. thanks for (hopefully) listening. *steps off soapbox*

• Like 1

Select Wins:

Blue Devils - Really great. Modern and interesting, but also suggest a jazz club. The neckline was a little sloppy looking, but overall it was a very effective look. I personally loved the guard costumes. They were sleek with good contrast and just a suggestion of naughtiness. The colors really did a lot to set/help the mood.

Cavaliers - Best of the '84- on look with some of the streamlined taper from the last one thrown in. Just the right balance. I never liked the ones of the past few seasons, as it looked like they were wearing a Cavalier t-shirt, or a cheap Halloween costume that has a picture of a Cavalier uniform on the front, as opposed to the whole thing. Now they righted the wrong and having the sash on the back again makes a huge difference. It was all accented with the, hands down, best use of color by the guard of anyone. Great, great silk choices, which really set different moods and provided surprising impact points and contrast. LOVED the guard costumes. Really well detailed and the use of different shades on different people made for wonderfully rich block forms.

Select Fails:

Crown - What was a huge win in '13 was ruined by bad color choices which cut everyone in half and made them look short, with floating little black dot feet. The great vertical orange stripe was replaced with a low-contrast sparkle, and the infamous My Ding-A-Ling Dangle fig leaf of modesty, which didn't even do its job. Somehow, removing the feather from the hat made everyone look like they were wearing daddy's giant oversized headgear. All this combined with a guard also dressed in too much eye-popping color, and silks which picked up all of the same shades, and it was just color, color everywhere. Somehow it all managed to add very little effect. Back to the drawing board for '15.

Phantom - Went from fringe-y dazzling lampshade to bizarre S&M Aztec priest. Enough said. I don't care what they do next year, but I pray on my stone pyramid that it is simpler and classier than this.

Edited by NakedEye

I'd like to see phantom go back to uniforms such as the one they wore in 2003. Or go all black like 1996.

What particularly stood out this year was crown. I liked the color choice and the purple guard uniforms, but the stripe in the pants was hardly visible this year. I also though their hats were a major step down. I'm not sure why they eliminated the feather (I think bright blue feather would have really looked good) and I think the flexible material in the hats made them look sloppy. The gaps in the hats where the feather had been in 2013 was different in every hat because the material bent and folded together or apart. I think if you had the hat style from 2013 with the 2014 colors it would have looked great.

I would assume you wouldn't have a feather in space! Might get bits stuck everywhere! :-)

Select Wins:

Blue Devils - Really great. Modern and interesting, but also suggest a jazz club. The neckline was a little sloppy looking, but overall it was a very effective look. I personally loved the guard costumes. They were sleek with good contrast and just a suggestion of naughtiness. The colors really did a lot to set/help the mood.

I agree - I'm not sure how or why that happened, but it did look kind of odd up close.

Mike

I think the Academy has figured it out. They have classy, distinctive, traditional-yet-unique uniforms that create an unchanging image for the corps, yet they can make a subtle color change with the ties and gloves that makes each year unique without as big of a change as, for example, Crown. Not sure what I think of the ribbons on the hats, but I like how they use them. Anyone agree?