Opinions on Uniforms for 2014--helped or hindered?

There's some bit of it that feels like a fad and there's something about how the activity is evolving that feels like many are loosing their identity. Not just in look but in sound as well. I like that BK have a new look. I don't think it'll stand the test of time like the original dots will, but i hope they keep it for a few seasons. I have a ton of respect for Troopers and BAC who've managed to keep a solid look with some shifts every couple years and Cadets and Cavies who've kept their look forever. I miss the Crown purple they had from 1996-2002.

• Like 2

In order to bring some observations and make sharing this passion,

The design of uniforms for Show and Marching Bands, Drum & Buggle Corps refers to :

- identity (code of colours, emblems, logotype,...)

- sometimes history, (emblems, reference to traditional uniform entirely or inspired from details of it).

- in another way, the uniform designed can be inspired to link the show and the choice of creativeuniform.

Ther are certainly many ways to built a design project, it depends on board of rules established between consumer and designer.

Design a uniform is also the expression of creative sensibility, it doesn't exist just one solution.

Obviously the extended approaches and kinds of styles, all drum corps try to built their identity.

Year by year, they became recognizable. Design is a complete serie of researches in forms, colours, materials, visual effects.

But from the point of view of functionality, it stays a question of comfort, ergonomy for users and musicians during their performances.

Design is the adequation between these parameters.

Enter drum and buggle corps, all present something special, Boston Crusaders decide to insist on emblem of Lion, tthe design explores graphism and iconography, using gradient colored effect which brings something modern.

It is an exemple between modernity and history. It is very nice.

In another approach, Cadets decide to maintain constance, the same uniform as a brand signature.

It refers to traditional uniform, maybe to Cadets of Westpoint Academy.

Cavaliers maintains forms, code of colours, with very recognizable uniform.

Madison Scouts plays on simplicity, an enter White uniform contrary to past with typical dark green, with just Lys flower on the side as ionographic reference to Scouts emblems and Madison Scouts logo. It is well succeeded.

The point in which I would like to insist on, is the necessity to earn in harmony between uniforms of musicians, and the ones of color-guards.

Even if the color-guards's uniform often depends on choice of Theme (of the Show), and the choice of accessories too (colors of flag, for example, for a sequence), it must exist a kind of coherence.

Pacific Crest, Spirit of Atlanta, Blue Stars and Carolina Crown work on graphic effect in visual caption, it is another approach of design. The conception of uniform doesn't consist to duplicate the same uniforms for all bands, but create something original in accord with parameters evocated before.

For example, the design of head-covers presents more solutions and adaptations. Coats, Troussers and Shako or Helmet are worked together to create a coherence between us.

Blue Knights have played on concept of "levitation effect", between blue of skyline, which brings someting arean feeling, and modernity by gradient colored-effect.

From general pint of view, design of shoes is not always elegant. For this kind of activity, it would be question to associate the esthetism and elegance of city shoes with ergonomy of sportswear.

In fact design a uniform is always a kind of challenge using creation, sensibility and innovaton or it could be just a link between tradition and innovation.

The Academy plays on costum of Nineteen century and uniform which brings an interesting result.

Mandarins and Blue Devils plays on forms and gradient colored effect which bring modernity, but they keep some distinctive elements, details which make the difference.

Bluecoats present an original uniform, but I like too the one before with short coat, both are succeeded.

It is very elegant. They plays on complementary colours with color-guards between blue and orange.

Music stays the most important but when the visual effect is succeeded, it gives results very surprising. In fact all elements are important.

I have not see all the show unfortunately just extracts, and for build an opinion of each one on the field, we need to compare, to see again and again.

All bands performed with passion and it is the most important. They offered very high quality show.

Musically;

Well, the design of uniforms for Show and Marching Bands, Drum & Buggle Corps refers to :

- identity (code of colours, emblems, logotype,...)

- sometimes history, (emblems, reference to traditional uniform entirely or inspired from details of it).

- in another way, the uniform designed can be inspired to link the show and the choice of creativeuniform.

Ther are certainly many ways to built a design project, it depends on board of rules established between consumer and designer.

Design a uniform is also the expression of creative sensibility, it doesn't exist just one solution.

Obviously the extended approaches and kinds of styles, all drum corps try to built their identity.

Year by year, they became recognizable. Design is a complete serie of researches in forms, colours, materials, visual effects.

But from the point of view of functionality, it stays a question of comfort, ergonomy for users and musicians during their performances.

Design is the adequation between these parameters.

Enter drum and buggle corps, all present something special, Boston Crusaders decide to insist on emblem of Lion, tthe design explores graphism and iconography, using gradient colored effect which brings something modern.

It is an exemple between modernity and history. It is very nice.

In another approach, Cadets decide to maintain constance, the same uniform as a brand signature.

It refers to traditional uniform, maybe to Cadets of Westpoint Academy.

Cavaliers maintains forms, code of colours, with very recognizable uniform.

Madison Scouts plays on simplicity, an enter White uniform contrary to past with typical dark green, with just Lys flower on the side as ionographic reference to Scouts emblems and Madison Scouts logo. It is well succeeded.

The point in which I would like to insist on, is the necessity to earn in harmony between uniforms of musicians, and the ones of color-guards.

Even if the color-guards's uniform often depends on choice of Theme (of the Show), and the choice of accessories too (colors of flag, for example, for a sequence), it must exist a kind of coherence.

Pacific Crest, Spirit of Atlanta, Blue Stars and Carolina Crown work on graphic effect in visual caption, it is another approach of design. The conception of uniform doesn't consist to duplicate the same uniforms for all bands, but create something original in accord with parameters evocated before.

For example, the design of head-covers presents more solutions and adaptations. Coats, Troussers and Shako or Helmet are worked together to create a coherence between us.

Blue Knights have played on concept of "levitation effect", between blue of skyline, which brings someting arean feeling, and modernity by gradient colored-effect.

From general pint of view, design of shoes is not always elegant. For this kind of activity, it would be question to associate the esthetism and elegance of city shoes with ergonomy of sportswear.

In fact design a uniform is always a kind of challenge using creation, sensibility and innovaton or it could be just a link between tradition and innovation.

The Academy plays on costum of Nineteen century and uniform which brings an interesting result.

Mandarins and Blue Devils plays on forms and gradient colored effect which bring modernity, but they keep some distinctive elements, details which make the difference.

Bluecoats present an original uniform, but I like too the one before with short coat, both are succeeded.

It is very elegant. They plays on complementary colours with color-guards between blue and orange.

Music stays the most important but when the visual effect is succeeded, it gives results very surprising. In fact all elements are important.

I have not see all the show unfortunately just extracts, and for build an opinion of each one on the field, we need to compare, to see again and again.

All bands performed with passion and it is the most important. They offered very high quality show.

Musically;

• Like 2

Most of the uniforms worked for me. A few notes:

Cadets: cummerbund change was not that effective. I understand the why, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

Crown: can't say I love the uniforms, and I loved their crème colored uniforms of a few years back. One poster even stated it was a reason not to march with Crown, but I would not go that far. For one thing I absolutely loved the show and I think a corps' potential placement is more important than uniforms for most people auditioning.

Blue Knights" really nice, Blue Stars: needs more blue, less.

BAC: My understanding is that the uniforms were meant to convey a darker feel, which is why the red in the uniforms was not a bright fire engine red, but the overall opinion was that the uniforms were a bit too dark. My guess is that next year, the red will be a bit more prominent if for no other reason than to highlight the "Waldo" design o the front.

Madison: I'd like to see a more traditional uniform from you, but you took too much flack for uniforms this year and quite frankly, if you had your usual uniforms this past year, your color guard would not have stood out.

Mandarins: I'd like to see more orange from you.

• Like 1

I am curious to hear what people thought of the uniforms this year--did you think some of them helped the corps or hindered them in some way. Here are my opinions on a few

A fan's take on a uniform is entirely a personal taste matter.

Also..not a single Corps scores or placements this season ( or any season for that matter) has a single thing to do with what the uniforms worn on the field are. We all can be pretty confident in saying that DCI judges Beth Fabrizio, George Oliviero, ,Jeff Prosperie, Lo, Miller, Torchia, Jones, Kristensen, et al etc don't care a wit whats worn on the field in uniform when they put down their scores after a Corps performance.

Edited by BRASSO

A fan's take on a uniform is entirely a personal taste matter.

Also..not a single Corps scores or placements this season ( or any season for that matter) has a single thing to do with what the uniforms worn on the field are. We all can be pretty confident in saying that DCI judges Beth Fabrizio, George Oliviero, ,Jeff Prosperie, Lo, Miller, Torchia, Jones, Kristensen, et al etc don't care a wit whats worn on the field in uniform when they put down their scores after a Corps performance.

I disagree. The uniform can affect how clean movement is read on the field or perceived from a higher vantage point. I loved Crown's uniform last year, because the stripe on the leg made their movement vocabulary more effective. It didn't have the same effect this year in my opinion.

Uniforms, color choices, head gear, flags, equipment choices are discussed in critique.

Yes, fans will have their own preferences as will the judging community, but to say that the uniform has no effect on how a corps is viewed and or judged would be false.

• Like 1

I too agree that uniforms have an influence, perhaps not always consciously. Having judged, been at many judging association meetings, having instructed, listened to tapes and going to critiques these matters are discussed, sometimes off the record.

For instance, a percussion judge will sometimes comment in critique his opinion that the uniform is cumbersome and affecting playing performance. (Cymbal players, battery, bass drums, and pit are all subject to this critique.) Visual judges of all subcaptions will comment, sometimes on the tapes, about clarity of focus, sense of cleanliness, and impact to the box of the forms, flow, and execution/design. Why do you think that some corps have elected to get rid of the side stripe on the pants beyond cost of production (eg. SCV, Cadets, etc.) I have even heard a noted World Class brass judge comment that the particular uniform style constricted the ability of the horn player to breathe his best due to the stress on parts of the body causing constrictions,etc.. Guard judges will discuss more than just whether Blue Devils dropped 3 pieces of equipment at Finals to get a 20. The uniforms add to the impression, to the performance, and to the impact. Otherwise corps would agree to do rainy day shows in tee shirts or tank tops and basketball shorts.

• Like 1

I too agree that uniforms have an influence, perhaps not always consciously. Having judged, been at many judging association meetings, having instructed, listened to tapes and going to critiques these matters are discussed, sometimes off the record.

For instance, a percussion judge will sometimes comment in critique his opinion that the uniform is cumbersome and affecting playing performance. (Cymbal players, battery, bass drums, and pit are all subject to this critique.) Visual judges of all subcaptions will comment, sometimes on the tapes, about clarity of focus, sense of cleanliness, and impact to the box of the forms, flow, and execution/design. Why do you think that some corps have elected to get rid of the side stripe on the pants beyond cost of production (eg. SCV, Cadets, etc.) I have even heard a noted World Class brass judge comment that the particular uniform style constricted the ability of the horn player to breathe his best due to the stress on parts of the body causing constrictions,etc.. Guard judges will discuss more than just whether Blue Devils dropped 3 pieces of equipment at Finals to get a 20. The uniforms add to the impression, to the performance, and to the impact. Otherwise corps would agree to do rainy day shows in tee shirts or tank tops and basketball shorts.

Uniforms have been discussed for decades already. You are right. I even remember back in the 80s and early 90s Mary Denniston

( rest her soul )spending whole critiques discussing uniforms and the issues or plus of a uniform . I dont think a judge will determine a like or dislike of a corps based on WHO is wearing WHAT uniform BUT as to wheater something works or doesnt it happens often. every visual judge will make comments.

Edited by GUARDLING

I disagree. The uniform can affect how clean movement is read on the field or perceived from a higher vantage point.

If true, this would logically mean then that the DCI judges have vision problems. As far as we know, the judges don't have vision problems ( although on 2nd thought. perhaps they do... which means DCI should perhaps have periodic tests for their judges that also include hearing and vision testing abilities). There is a lot riding on the judges getting it right in their scoring. I think we can all agree that if judges are having vision issues regarding the reading of movements on the field, that its, not a " Corps uniform issue ", its much more of a " judge vision issue" ".

Edited by BRASSO

Incidentally, one of the highest scores the North Star Drum Corps received in the '76 season was when they went out with a mishmash of borrowed uniforms from competitor Corps at the World Open after a fire destroyed their uniforms enroute to Lynn, Ma. from shows in the midwest.

The Cadets have pretty much had the same uniforms for well over half a Century. None of their placements over the years ( from the mid 20's in placements some years to 1st in other years ) had much of anything at all to do with this uniform, nor their Guard's uniform.

One look at the uniforms from all the Corps from 1st to last at the Quarterfinals this season, and we find most of them have had uniform changes, and all of them guard uniform changes over the last 12 months alone. Yet few of them changed much at all in their placements year over end. Jersey Surf went thru the single most changed uniform choice style of any Corps in recent memory. Their current 2014 unis look nothing like their Bridgemen trubute uniforms... their placements.. up or down... didn't change at all however. Zip.

Crown percussion scores have been an achilles heel for them for a few seasons, yet they have gone thru multiple changes in uniforms for their Percussion section.

It doesn't matter WHAT BD wears in uniforms, or Guard costuming. They will score high. Yet, the Mandarins Pacific Coast, Academy, etc have uniforms as appealing, if not more so, than does BD, imo.

Does it matter what duds Crown has on when the brass plays ? Of course not. Star of Indiana changed uniforms often. Did their 2nd place in '93 with the judges have anything at all with the fact their unis were different than the Cadets ? I don't think so. Spirit's choice of unis for 2014 had nothing at all to do with their scores and placements this season, imo.

It doesn't matter what the G7 Corps wear in competition. Nor what the non G7 wear in competition. Anybody that thinks scores and placements are effected by what the Corps wear these days in DCI are just kidding themselves, imo. The notion that these DCI judges, many of whom have been judging thru decades, and have seen it all regarding uniforms and costuming over the decades, are effected by a Corps uniform choice in their scoring and placements doesn't know many of these judges. Now, having said all this, if these judges, some long in the tooth now, some might believe could be having age related hearing and vision issues, then thats a separate issue altogether....not a " Corps uniform issue " having any possible effect on scores and placements.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1