Building Left Hand Chops

(Intended for drummers, but there's always a good discussion on DCP :cool:)

For those of you who either don't know me or forget me (my bad; haven't been active on here for WAY too long), I'm a snare drummer. I'm planning on going for a corps for the 2015 season (still don't know which one yet). But I'm faced with the dreaded traditional grip left hand weakness. I'm right handed, so that doesn't help.

I need to build some pretty major chops in all of my left hand, but I mainly want to focus on the index finger and building strength there. Does anybody have any tips/tricks/exercises etc. for building the left hand?

• Like 1

(Intended for drummers, but there's always a good discussion on DCP :cool:)

For those of you who either don't know me or forget me (my bad; haven't been active on here for WAY too long), I'm a snare drummer. I'm planning on going for a corps for the 2015 season (still don't know which one yet). But I'm faced with the dreaded traditional grip left hand weakness. I'm right handed, so that doesn't help.

I need to build some pretty major chops in all of my left hand, but I mainly want to focus on the index finger and building strength there. Does anybody have any tips/tricks/exercises etc. for building the left hand?

you might get more in the percussion threads. Just a suggestion . Good Luck

Yes, this is what we did when I marched to build left hand chops. All the exercises you know, start with the left hand leading off, and your goal is to match the quality of sound you have with the right hand leading off. It feels weird to start with the left, but do that a lot. Alternate one time right, one time left so you can hear the difference. It helps. Other than that, hours of drumming, but leading with the left is something that works.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

Yes, this is what we did when I marched to build left hand chops. All the exercises you know, start with the left hand leading off, and your goal is to match the quality of sound you have with the right hand leading off. It feels weird to start with the left, but do that a lot. Alternate one time right, one time left so you can hear the difference. It helps. Other than that, hours of drumming, but leading with the left is something that works.

Agreed. Also, if the sticking of the exercise is single handed and switches between left or right (think 8s as am example) after a defined pattern or number of notes....try doubling everything on left compared to the number of strokes on the right. 16 on left and then 8 on right etc.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Oh, I have some GREAT suggestions...

First, practice more.

Second, practice more.

Third, practice more but start with your left hand.

Fourth, practice more.

(If I knew you and your practice practices (see what I did there?), I'd push you to practice more and, oh yea, practice more.)

Wait, who is this again?

:tounge2:

• Like 2

Oh, I have some GREAT suggestions...

First, practice more.

Second, practice more.

Third, practice more but start with your left hand.

Fourth, practice more.

(If I knew you and your practice practices (see what I did there?), I'd push you to practice more and, oh yea, practice more.)

Wait, who is this again?

:tounge2:

So harsh on your kid :smile:

I practiced on a soft pillow that made me use my wrist, not bounce the stick. This built it up pretty strong. Play in front of a mirror, too, so you aren't dipping your shoulder or leaning.

• Like 1

Anthony, remember that speed is not the most important thing at the beginning. You're essentially teaching your muscles new movements. Using a mirror is a great suggestion. Posture is important. Basically, it's just woodshedding that makes one better.

Go to Facebook's DCI Snares Group. Kevin Donka, former Bluecoats alumni and 2013 DCA Snare Champ, has put up a BUNCH of music (grids) and videos for the aspiring drummer.

Edited by wallace

One thing I have my students do is to play a simple double beat/syncopation type of exercise, but try to accent the 2nd note of the pair.

Sent a pm.

K Donka is a great idea.

There is no shortage of exercises certainly, the only one that works is the one you actually use. We can offer suggestions, but it will come down to the ones you enjoy playing, those that are fun, or it could be the ones you hate, but you love to do them because you know you'll become great.

There are some basic concepts you can use to formulate your own effective exercises.

Say you want to work on rebounding with the left hand. Think of running - starting with short bursts, then gradually extending out longer.

The shortest rebound is two notes, or double beat. Always consider sound - even beats.

Next is three, triple beat. My opinion - the triple beat "bug a dut" is the one rhythm that impacts the greatest number of things you'll play.

I'd sit in front of the tv and bug a dut as long as Garfield senior would allow.

Next do four. etc.

Edited by c mor