Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

You are forgetting what most I know think is Classic BD 82 and 86. Just saying.

I don't think my list contains the only great shows, but you have to understand something. I'm from the Boston area and I remember 1980 and have not forgiven BD for defeating 27th in finals. While the Legacy DVD does not capture either of those shows all that well (ironically Spirit and Bridgemen look great), both were on fire that season. I saw BD at CYO Nationals which many believe was their best performance of that year, but missed 27th's topping BD at DCI East which many believe was 27th's best show ever. I wanted 27th to win so bad. So admitting I enjoyed a BD show this year is huge for me, almost like wearing a Yankee's cap instead of a Red Sox hat, giving up my Irish heritage and having tea with the Queen, or pronouncing the "r" sound at the end of my words. While I am not a BD fan, I am not a BD hater and 82 was a great show, though I cannot deny 86 was amazing too.

This show is in my top 5 BD shows, too early to know if it'll be in my top of all time category.

Although I can't get it out of my head and have been turned into a Fellini fan because of it.

Of course, The Blue Devils are one of the best drum corps in the world, and have been since the 70's.

Undeniably true, but it appears that you misunderstood the OP's question posed for us.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

To me this show was the perfect integration of Production Value, traditional drum corps, excellent all around execution, demand when needed and effective. This show was so accessible, entertaining, and well executed, that they still would have won if Crown took brass and Cadets took guard. The fact that the design staff hit a home run with the production and all the captions were as strong as they were is like catching lightning in a bottle but it certainly added up to an amazing finals weeks run.

Sure it does not have the balls out demand of a mid-90s show or the in your face music of the 80s, but when you break it down it had these elements in segments that matter on the sheets now. Use of electronics was well integrated and not forced. I felt it BD and Coats did it equally well but with completely different approaches.

I may prefer the balls out and more esoteric shows from the 90s but I cannot deny that this is a different era and how Felliniesque has set a new standard for show design (e.g Star '93) and performance level (e.g BD '94) in all captions. My favorite years were 1990-1995 from an overall perspective but shows are different now and are being judged/rewarded differently as well now. Good, bad, or indifferent is an entirely different discussion but what we saw this year from BD will stand the test of time.

• Like 3

YES.....Since 1975 they have been the body of consistency. From 1994 they had 10 gold's, 6 silvers, 4 bronze. They are not one of the greats, they are the BEST in the business.

Yes, but where would you put this 2014 BD Corps version in relationship to all the other Corps in DCI history, ?.... as this was the OP's question, not " what Corps is the best in the business" since the beginning of DCI ( undeniably, also the Blue Devils )

Edited by BRASSO

Brasso...I would rank the 2014 as the best. This was a very competitive year from the top 5. The fact that BD went undefeated is amazing. Not only undefeated but dominate. A 2.5 spread at finals from 1-2 is unreal. The talent they attract is the testament to their ability to perform well and the staff to guide them. Will it last...probably not at this level every year but as long as they keep this going, I don't see them falling anytime soon.

It does have "moments" that will end up in future montages - the first thing I think of is the snares on the tables - that image I think will live for a long time. I'm guessing that due to the score, this one will always be in the discussion of "greats" now.

Mike

Brasso...I would rank the 2014 as the best.

Thats what the OP wants to know from us too! Thanks for sharing.

It will be known as a great BD show, too soon to tell if it will be an all time great

Dont know if it has an obvious hook that many of the greats have

Clean city and a phenomenal sounding hornline from beginning to end.

• Like 1