Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

Madison's unis could use a makeover too.

And don't get me started on Carolina Crown's choice of uniforms of late ( haha!)

I agree. If I was a youngster interested in joining a drum & bugle corps, I wouldn't consider Crown because off the ridiculous costumes that they are forced to wear.

I agree. If I was a youngster interested in joining a drum & bugle corps, I wouldn't consider Crown because off the ridiculous costumes that they are forced to wear.

As a youngster, I'd dare say I'm not the only one my age who thinks they look pretty cool.

• Like 4

Just hoping they take a step back and ditch the idiotic costumes from this year and return to a real Crusaders uniform.

After reading so many positive comments about the corps uniform change, what specifically was "idiotic" about the 2014 uniforms (not costumes)? My personal opinion was that it was very dark, but then that was the point of it that allowed alignment visually with the program design. I think an unexpected by product of the intended darker uniform design, was that they hindered readabilty/clarity of many visual drill elements in many sets and more particulalry in set transitions. I think to the degree that what may have gotten cleaner (and yes the drill DID get cleaner, just not enough) didn't read clean from the press box. At least sufficiently enough to gget credited for achievment.
  • Like 1

If I were a youngster today...now 40 years too late...I would LOVE to march Crown. Loved their costumes.

As much as I loved my Garfield uniform from 70-72, I also recall in particular attending th,e Princeton U P-rade in 1970, and seeing the disdain on the faces of the students there as we set up our arc wearing those marvelous uniforms. Given the times, wearing military-looking was hardly the thing to do for the average young person,k as much as I loved them.

• Like 1

An inperson viewing, from the field and especially from the box, would have changed your confident statement I suspect.

When horns were up, no red was apparent at all. I agree with 7567 that the uniform not only deprived any credit for visual improvement but actually added to the cluttered feeling, particularly in those drill situations that were front-forward on side one. Just like shows need a variety of musical emotions in successive balance to keep the audience and judges engaged, so does the visual. A show that was in the dirt as its theme (windmills considered) doesn't need distractions making it more dirty, but contrast so that one sees the highlights and depths.

Edited by xandandl

I also recall in particular attending th,e Princeton U P-rade in 1970, and seeing the disdain on the faces of the students there as we set up our arc wearing those marvelous uniforms. Given the times, wearing military-looking was hardly the thing to do for the average young person,k as much as I loved them.

The Princeton U. crowd of 1970 that had distain for what your Cadets were wearing had ranks chock full of privleged, draft dodging, hippies with dirty feet, scraggly unkept hair, and garrish looking " costumes ". So you'd have had a right back them to look at them with equal distain.... or at the least laugh at them, if they were showing you and your Cadets Corps distain in your crisp uniforms.. Plus, its mostly these Ivy Tower, Ivy Leaguers that showed you and your Cadets Drum Corps distain in 1970 that years later as the Ruling Class ran the US Fed deficit into trillions in deficits, and needed the rest of us to bail out the other ones in the Banks and on Wall Street as well. Many of them are a joke, and now with many of 'em into their late 60's, they are still a joke....... an old joke. Just sayin'.

Edited by BRASSO

The Princeton U. crowd of 1970 that had distain for what your Cadets were wearing had ranks chock full of privleged, draft dodging, hippies with dirty feet, scraggly unkept hair, and garrish looking " costumes ". So you'd have had a right back them to look at them with equal distain.... or at the least laugh at them, if they were showing you and your Cadets Corps distain in your crisp uniforms.. Plus, its mostly these Ivy Tower, Ivy Leaguers that showed you and your Cadets Drum Corps distain in 1970 that years later as the Ruling Class ran the US Fed deficit into trillions in deficits, and needed the rest of us to bail out the other ones in the Banks and on Wall Street as well. Many of them are a joke, and now with many of 'em into their late 60's, they are still a joke....... an old joke. Just sayin'.

The point is....what looks ridiculous to one may not be to another, and what we may consider classic may be ridiculous to others. Personally, I love Crown's costuming the past two years, and IMO drum corps in general should continue to push those boundaries to true show-costuming versus old style standard uniforms.

• Like 2

The point is....what looks ridiculous to one may not be to another,

Exactly... and I said so above too, ie " uniform likes and dislikes are a personal taste issue ". What you ( or me, or others ) like in uniforms, others think are ugly or whatnot... and vice versa. Obviously, in the example above, your Cadets uniforms were held in " distain" by some... while others would say the ones that held your Cadets uniforms ( your words.. in " distain ") had clothes on their backs that others thought as ugly or distainful, or " ridiculous ", or whatnot too..

Edited by BRASSO