Communication, whats it all about?

Gald to see you mention Bushwackers ,about the only show this year I dislike ,I dislike all the narration ,the theme of there show and the way it ends leaves me flat ,that's got to be the time for a beer n hot dog show this year .

I wish I had an answer to the question, Jeff, and wish I'd have asked that to the people who talked to me about it.. The best thought on it I can give you because I wasn't privy to the whole thing is that it frankly gives more weight to effect, that's what everyone wanted, and it was a vehicle to do so that everyone liked.

John's previous comment about the fact Effect can cover more then "BAM! POW! ZOWIEEEE!" is also salient. Can I 'communicate' to people in other ways than taking a 2 by 4 and smacking them with it? Maybe, tickle them with a feather? Give them a hug? Doing something silly to make them smile and laugh? Give someone a big sloppy kiss!? (God help them if I did that!) I certainly hope I can. The early 90's Bushwackers really worked hard to get people to think on a far deeper level about that issue and idea in DCA, and I think for the better.

"Variety" is usually a buzz word on most effect sheets for a reason. :satisfied:

again...all of that is part and parcel of your everyday GE sheet. That's why this "caption" has remained such a mystery. And it HAS called placements

Be sure to check your mail for your invitation to the Bushwacker Banquet.

Gald to see you mention Bushwackers ,about the only show this year I dislike ,I dislike all the narration ,the theme of there show and the way it ends leaves me flat ,that's got to be the time for a beer n hot dog show this year .

• Like 2

Thanks to all who have chimed in, and from what I can tell, it will still remain a mystery to what "communication" means.

Although I am going to watch how the comm score correlates with overall placement.

See you all soon

Edited by ajlisko

See? Perfect example of why it's so cool DCA has so much variety! I get why you don't like it, but I just gotta say Bush's is my 2nd favorite show this year. Sure hope I get to sneak away from souvie row to see them at finals .

• Like 2

Effect is dependent on the communication with and engagement of the audience.

The judge is to understand that it is the sum of all elements of effect that create the most successful and entertaining performance. The are to evaluate each sub-caption independently while recognizing the significant interrelationship.

They are to reward the entertainment value of the design, performers, and the combination of all factors visually and musically that communicate with and move the audience at any given moment and throughout the program.

As we all know, there are three sub-captions:

1. Communication and engagement

2. Composition effect

3. Performer affect

As far as the communication and engagement sub-caption goes:

COMMUNICATION & ENGAGEMENT

Establish the Connection (Who, When, Where, and How)

Develop, Explore, and Sustain the Connection (Throughout the Performance) Resolve and Fulfill the Connection (Conceptually and Emotionally)

Consider all elements of design and performer effect within all elements of the corps and performance. It is the sum and blend of elements that communicate clearly, and connect with the audience.

To what degree did the corps:

Engage the audience

Demonstrate effective level of communication with the audience

Display and emotional intensity

oh in my forthcoming review do I have comments to make about this

Effect is dependent on the communication with and engagement of the audience.

The judge is to understand that it is the sum of all elements of effect that create the most successful and entertaining performance. The are to evaluate each sub-caption independently while recognizing the significant interrelationship.

They are to reward the entertainment value of the design, performers, and the combination of all factors visually and musically that communicate with and move the audience at any given moment and throughout the program.

As we all know, there are three sub-captions:

1. Communication and engagement

2. Composition effect

3. Performer affect

As far as the communication and engagement sub-caption goes:

COMMUNICATION & ENGAGEMENT

Establish the Connection (Who, When, Where, and How)

Develop, Explore, and Sustain the Connection (Throughout the Performance) Resolve and Fulfill the Connection (Conceptually and Emotionally)

Consider all elements of design and performer effect within all elements of the corps and performance. It is the sum and blend of elements that communicate clearly, and connect with the audience.

To what degree did the corps:

Engage the audience

Demonstrate effective level of communication with the audience

Display and emotional intensity

Very clear and concise.

I think the confusion (thus the question at hand) is prone to arise if there is no audience that can give a full spectrum of viable "tastes"; or a reasonable size audience that would offer a genuine sampling of the variety of different "tastes" one may find in an audience.

If one is performing symphonic selections to an audience of symphony aficionados, you're golden. Start performing the "Best of Lawrence Welk" to that same audience, you're toast.............and vice versa.

What is engaging entertainment to one audience individual (or group of).....may not be to another.

All that and 62 cents, still only gets a senior cup of coffee at McDonalds.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have chimed in, and from what I can tell, it will still remain a mystery to what "communication" means.

Communication is a mystery to the one guy in DCA who is best at talking directly with the crowd? Color me amused. ;-)
  • Like 1