MADISON SCOUTS 2015

In my opinion, Madison product pales in comparison to what it could have been, both thematically and relative to other shows they've done previously. It's "almost" a bit of everything that was great in their past, but someone picked music that wasn't quite as good. That design team can do a LOT better, and hopefully they will. They're great designers.

In my opinion, Cavies have dropped the ball this year design-wise; they've taken a step back visually. Brass-wise, they're better than they have been recently. Percussion and guard aren't doing as well as they have recently. I'm wondering if different program coordination would help them. They certainly change about every other position in the last decade...

In my opinion, Phantom took a bit of a safe route this year with their theme. Percussion isn't standing out. Guard is nice. Brass sounds good. The whole show is pleasant, but nothing intense. Competent performance, but I'm not sold on the arrangements. This is another case of a corps redoing stuff that they've done before, but this time the arrangements don't compare to those old Wren arrangements.

I feel that all three of these corps should have been given a better product, but Madison has better future potential.

If things remain constant at Phantom, they'll stay around where they are...

Cavaliers need to do something, but they are clearly designing for higher placement that Madison.

I happily admit to fanboying over Madison, but I do have to agree - while the style of music is uniquely Madison, and I hope to God they do more of it, these aren't necessarily tunes you're going to be humming all fall. (Heck, I *still* can't get Run Boy Run out of my head and I've only seen it twice.)

But I don't know if I'd say Phantom and Cavaliers have that much of an edge in the "content" department. Madison has some *very* dense passages from the brass, and I'd say, unscientifically, that they're asking members for as much body movement as the other corps. Looking from afar, it's pretty clear the three corps, despite the massive stylistic differences, are pretty on-par with each other.

Come on - this is fun! When's the last time Madison was in a dogfight for a top 7 spot? That's progress! :)

Mike

• Like 3

no, just making observations and offering opinions based on education and performance/teaching experience, but good for you for continuing to make references to me about the Cavaliers.

Anyway, can't wait to see the corps tomorrow night!

You're not the only one with education, performance, and teaching experience. I don't normally expect to hear or read "ewwwww" when talking about any group, especially a top corps, yet I've seen that from you a couple of times. ...and I have friends in the Scouts as well as Cavies, so I don't like ripping into either corps. I was at the preview camp with Scouts tri-tone uniform reveal; didn't say "ewww" to that mess. Lived in and love Madison, but I also love my corps and they're doing decently all things considered, and certainly not "ew". Obviously there's a bit of a rivalry coming through, but I have nothing but love for both corps , and I plainly see what's going on and I call it like I see it. Have fun at the show!

I happily admit to fanboying over Madison, but I do have to agree - while the style of music is uniquely Madison, and I hope to God they do more of it, these aren't necessarily tunes you're going to be humming all fall. (Heck, I *still* can't get Run Boy Run out of my head and I've only seen it twice.)

But I don't know if I'd say Phantom and Cavaliers have that much of an edge in the "content" department. Madison has some *very* dense passages from the brass, and I'd say, unscientifically, that they're asking members for as much body movement as the other corps. Looking from afar, it's pretty clear the three corps, despite the massive stylistic differences, are pretty on-par with each other.

Come on - this is fun! When's the last time Madison was in a dogfight for a top 7 spot? That's progress! :)

Mike

True, and I'm rooting for them. So much potential. Next year pick some winning music. Cuban sound good to me. I'm rooting for them, but I expect their fans to be classy like the alumni I know and love.

I really really really want Madison to do an all Spanish/Mexican show.

Well at least people are talking again on this thread!

Well at least people are talking again on this thread!

Its nice to see the Scouts closing in on the 2 corps ahead of them rather than falling further behind.

So in modern drum corps does the theme need to be dark and deep about hell, demons and the occult practices or secret societies to be considered modern?

In a modern drum corps, if you can read the show in one viewing and enjoy it, its not deep enough to be competitive. Unfortunately, most locales only host one show per year, so most shows go over most peoples heads. You don't win fans by telling people they are too stupid to get your show.

• Like 2

duplicate post

Edited by lastknight