MADISON SCOUTS 2015

And how do you know it wasn't a comment specific to the Scouts, in this Scouts thread? Because you can read my mind? I'm sorry, you can attempt to revise history all you like, but for my money the Madison Scouts have stayed closest their roots as a crowd pleasing, entertaining, exciting corps as any corps. And I appreciate them big time for that. And they get trashed, competitively and on DCP for it. And as far as the activity as a whole, in my opinion the distinct direction of the activity over the past several years has been to sacrifice crowd appeal for competitive placement. Are there exceptions? Yes there are exceptions. Does that disprove my opinion concerning the general direction the activity has taken? No. I, for one, will take a 10th place or 12th place Scouts show any day over much of the over amplified, over narrated, over emoed, over body contortioned fare I've seen from higher placing corps.

I said it. Hockeydad said it.

You like what you like, which is fine. That has nothing to do with your general comment, which IMO is absolutely UNtrue.

I like a wide variety of corps and shows, and placement has zero to do with it. BK has been on my own favorite list for a few years....Crown as well, going back a dozen years or so, with some notable exceptions. I like different corps every year, if they present a show that clicks with me...like this year's Bluecoats. I don't like or dislike a corps just because of their name...or where they place. Scouts have had some very good shows, and some that were not on my favorite list. Ditto Cadets, BD, etc. This is the first year BD has been on my own top list in over a dozen years, for instance.

• Like 6

Some interesting reading...

Not so much... More pictures please!

The ultimate goal is to be competitive and entertaining. But, if I had to choose only one, I would personally rather be competitive and win over entertainment.

The ultimate goal is to be competitive and entertaining. But, if I had to choose only one, I would personally rather be competitive and win over entertainment.

You just knocked the wind out of Scott Stewart with that one.

I remember victories, like 1981 DCI Midwest at Whitewater, but I remember the standing ovations & crowds going berzerk more than anything.

You just knocked the wind out of Scott Stewart with that one.

I know I would! I just think it's time for Madison to win some more titles. We always had the Cavaliers in our back mirror when I marched. Never would have thought they would get more titles than us.

I had a great conversation today with a longtime friend who, incidently, is a Cavie Alumnus. And what that conversation boiled down to was this... There's only ONE CORPS doing it all correctly. And everyone else, if they want to survive, has to hunt that corps. There is only one or two corps that hunted properly this year. Meaning they are doing what the Blue Devils do, with some sort of their signature on it ('Coats, Cadets). Consistenly there is one corps keeping it old school, and they consistently go old school, but they've maxed what old school can do. (SCV) There's a few who follow that path, but not nearly as well.

The bottom line, if you want to beat the pack, or at least run with the pack, is that you have to do what the top of the heap does, while putting your spin on it. We agreed both all-male corps left have to find a way to play the same game that BD does, but it has to have the signatures of the respective groups playing. It could be horn arrangements, if could be guard and performance attitude, it could be percussion leading the charge. Its a mix of whatever the trend is being the base, and letting the signature be the frosting on it.

If the corps want to become the leader, they have to find a way to lead by example, while keeping their spin on it. I dislike that I typed that, and now re-reading it, it makes me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon. But I think its right. crap.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

I had a great conversation today with a longtime friend who, incidently, is a Cavie Alumnus. And what that conversation boiled down to was this... There's only ONE CORPS doing it all correctly. And everyone else, if they want to survive, has to hunt that corps. There is only one or two corps that hunted properly this year. Meaning they are doing what the Blue Devils do, with some sort of their signature on it ('Coats, Cadets). Consistenly there is one corps keeping it old school, and they consistently go old school, but they've maxed what old school can do. (SCV) There's a few who follow that path, but not nearly as well.

I would most certainly add Carolina Crown to that list, at least in recent years. Even if they didn't quite achieve what they were hoping competitively this year, they've definitely established their own "signature" and have the infrastructure, staff, and talent to compete for a championship every year.

Here's the thing. Even in this art form, there is such a thing as "too hip for the room" which I think Crown is starting to become. Its just too much in some cases. Like the Cadets were this year. They've been in the thick of it, and then they just kept adding stuff. bahhhh!

• Like 1