Open Class:

1. Caballeros 94.25

2. Buccaneers 93.70

3. Fusion Core 92.35

4. Cadets2 89.35

5. Carolina Gold 82.05

Edited by Fran Haring

Thoughts on the show in Reading:

The first few corps played in a pretty steady rain, but despite that...they played well. If you're going to have a show in the raid, have it at a facility like Exeter High School. It's a fantastic field that drains easy.

Carolina Gold. Strength of the corps is far and away the color guard. The fact that they performed through the rain as well as they did was remarkable. Show theme is communicated well, but there were some definite rough spots in the brass and percussion. Based on what I saw and heard tonight, I'm not quite sure they are a lock to make finals.

White Sabers. I'm sick and tired of band and corps shows using Arabia or Scheherazade as a theme. But good lord, if you're going to do it...do it like this White Sabers corps. This may be a more cohesive program than they had last year, and the mas-up ballad of Scheherazade and Knights in White Satin is masterful. Much like last year's mash-up of the Largo with Dancer in the dark, if this is White Saber's new "schtick", I'm all in. This is absolutely a Class A contender, if not the front runner. Anyone wishing to challenge the White Sabers better have their ducks in a row.

Fusion Core. This is a really fun show with a really nice variety of music. The standout section is the guard, but they really aren't weak anywhere. Brass and drums had some dirty spots tonight, but the performance level of the members is really high, and they have a ton of energy. I'm still not a fan of the bed, or rather how it moves. When it's still, they use it well, but moving it is a real eyesore. That said, they are remarkably clean visually...maybe the cleanest corps on the field. If they do anything this week, they should clean the many brass section features. everything else is Championships-ready. Title contender? No. But a shot at third? Absolutely.

Cadets 2: I love this show. To be honest, I think it's the better of the two Cadets' programs this year. It's way more entertaining and more "Cadets-y". The color guard as improved immensely, and is no longer holding the corps back. Sadly, clean visual and a weak-at-times brass line is. Percussion was particularly strong. Execution issues aside (and that horse has been beaten elsewhere), it's really a cool, fun program.

Buccaneers: Any questions I had about Reading's program were answered tonight. I haven't seen them since Wayne, and it's a completely different drum corps. The groove sections that were square as a country dance in July were really smooth and cool tonight. The messy intro is now really solid, and the Metheny chart is really sweet. The "Break on Through" jam might sound a bit West Chester University, but the crowd loves it, and it's the first time they really cut loose. I stopped counting the number of changes they've clearly made, but they all work. The percussion, brass/percussion movement package, and weapon line are strengths. Brass has improved a lot, but still has issues at times. A contender next week? Absolutely yes.

Caballeros: Probably the most entertaining corps on the field, they are strong across the board. Brass is the obvious standout, but the rest of the corps is no slouch either, and the percussion has really improved a lot since June. Cabs have no weak links at all. The theme is easy to understand and plays out well, particularly now that it's set up so well in the pre-show. I'm not sure this was their best run in terms of energy (it's Bucs home show with the crowd reaction that comes with it for the enemy), but they are on the right track to do some real damage next week.

When Bucs finished their performance, I figured it was probably going to be a coin toss, if not Cabs by a few tenths. They really are that close, it's not a scheme by DCA to sell tickets (this year, anyway). I left before scores were announced, and the recap isn't up yet, so I'll give my guesses on how I think things may break down caption wise:

Brass: Caballeros

Percussion: Buccaneers

Guard: Fusion Core

Visual: Caballeros, but not by a lot

Music Effect: Cabs, by several tenths

Visual Effect: Coin toss, maybe Cabs by a nose

This may be the most top-to-bottom entertaining year in DCA in a while (much like it was in DCI). If you're not going to Rochester, buy the live streams...you won't regret it.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Reading scores, from the DCA website:

Class A:

1. White Sabers 84.60

Open Class:

1. Caballeros 94.25

2. Buccaneers 93.70

3. Fusion Core 92.35

4. Cadets2 89.35

5. Carolina Gold 82.05

looks like it will be the cabs year. no win for bucs at home.

looks like it will be the cabs year. no win for bucs at home.

As the great philosopher Yogi Berra once said... it ain't over 'til it's over.

Bucs are only .55 out of first.... anything can happen next weekend.

Bush 90.10

Hurcs 83.75

Sun 83.5

Windsor 79.75

Class A Excelsior 71.85

what happen to sky they where on hucs web site to do this show

Bushwackers up more than 6 pts. in one week?

What happened to Sky? They were on Hurcs' web site to do this show.

But they weren't on the DCA site as scheduled for Bridgeport. Very odd.