Why doesnt DCI allow fans to vote?

Please forgive me if this topic has been created or has already been discussed to death, I took a 2 year hiatus from DCP from 2011 to 2013 and there is a possibility that this topic has already been addressed, but here goes.

I understand the judging system and competitive nature of DCI and the reasons behind why the organisation is the way it is. I love the competitiveness and I hope it never changes. I love how certain corps obtain caption awards despite not being in 1st place overall, and I love the focus that DCI has on excellence, and the rewards associated with high levels of performance.

My question is, why is there not a special award that fans can give out? Why doesnt DCI let you text them (only one vote per registered phone number) your favorite show? Why isnt there a fan-favorite award? I think it would be so interesting and rewarding for a corps that may not be the most proficient and innovative on the field to receive a "everyone liked your show the most" award.

I feel this would be very easy to do... Heck reality shows do it all the time by having people vote in with a phone and then awarding a particular person who has the most votes. Why doesnt DCI do this? Even if they were to only allow participants who were actually live at the stadium, who could, upon the ending of the show, text a specific number their vote (which number would only be disclosed after the event is over, and the judges are determining scores anyways) of who they enjoyed watching/hearing the most?

We could even create sub captions. Who had the most entertaining show visually, or musically, or who had the greatest "wow" factor or "best uniforms" or whatever, but something that would give fans the option of giving their $.02.

What do you guys think? Why doesnt DCI do this?

Because Crossmen would win every SW regional, Spirit every SE regional, and Cadets every Allentown regional. Blue Knights would win Drums Along the Rockies in Denver. Troopers would win the Cheyenne or Casper show. BAC would win the CYO show.

Etc.

Yeah, WGI does this , not to get any award but it is announced. Fans do it by texting. Doesnt really mean anything , actually not even who the real fan favorite may be. I know several HS guards that text you to text a vote for them. Many times some guard gets it and everyone scratches their head. It's more about who can flood the internet or the phone lines. BUT maybe still fun for some. I guess some sort of bragging rights also, accurate or not.

Edited by GUARDLING

Because Crossmen would win every SW regional, Spirit every SE regional, and Cadets every Allentown regional. Blue Knights would win Drums Along the Rockies in Denver. Troopers would win the Cheyenne or Casper show. BAC would win the CYO show.

Etc.

honestly given the number of corps running camps in Texas, I doubt Crossmen would win SW, but yes, you're right. it'd be a popularity contest, not who designed and performed well

I would absolutely hate to see DCI lower itself to being at the level of "reality shows." Of all the possible arguments for such an award as you propose, this, to me, would by far be the absolute weakest.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Each phone would only get one vote... And it wouldn't be any kind of popularity contest. The award would be given to the most entertaining show. You don't think that DCI fans would be able to take it with maturity??

• Like 1

Each phone would only get one vote... And it wouldn't be any kind of popularity contest. The award would be given to the most entertaining show. You don't think that DCI fans would be able to take it with maturity??

But someone at the show could text 2000 of their friends and tell them to also text their vote (even though they are not there). It might work if every ticket had a serial # and it accepted votes only with a valid serial # included in the text (and only one vote per serial #). Even then, the die hard fans and many alumni would always vote for "their" corps no matter what they witnessed at the show. It really would be just a popularity contest affected greatly by WHERE the show happens.

Then again, if you tack on a $1 or $2 per vote, you might get the corps on board with no limits whatsoever on how many votes you can make or from where. :)

Or, people at the shows could express their appreciation by bringing the palms of their hands together so as to emit noise upon compression in a rapidly repetitious fashion, with greater appreciation being indicated by greater velocity and resulting in an increased volume being emitted, which might then be detected and comprehended by the performing members as representative of the existence and indeed the extent of appreciation.

I know it is a little out there, but it just might work.

• Like 7

Oh yeah, cause DCI shows need more DCP style honk-drama about who's the best ever all time.

• Like 3