Why doesnt DCI allow fans to vote?

If any of you marched in the Sevierville, TN show. It used to be judged by fan voting. They handed ballots out with every ticket torn and collected them after the end of the last corps.

I remember winning that show twice. It was kinda awesome. They had a HUGE mound for drainage in the middle of the field, so if you had any sets near the back sideline you were screwed trying to see the DM.

Well it seems no one is enjoying the idea. Well it was worth asking. I still thino it enough emphasis was put on the award then the corps would start to compete for the fans. Yes there will always be biased alumni and there will always be immature youngsters who vote just to vote and get friends in on it but wouldn't that create more excitement?

I would love to see BD put on a show that is only meant to generate fan favorite rewards. You all are simply so pessimistic about everything and How it wouldn't work. Everyone, including judges, are biased to some degree or another.

However for the purpose of discussion I will conceed and say that the idea is not a good one.

The only Drum Corps fans voting that counts is the voting by the small cadre of DCI fans with badges and #2 sharpened pencils.

So I see no real harm in letting other fans voice their opinions on who thy liked by texting, and having DCI publish the results right away. Its not a new concept. DCI did a national poll about 10 years ago for national fans to list their all time favorite entertaining shows. The results werre published. We all got to see the results. The earth did not stop rotating on its axis, and the seas did not rise, and locusts did not descend upon the land. Near as I can tell, it didn't effect the Corps and the fans with the badges and the #2 sharpened pencils one iota. So this angst by some fans in letting their colleague fans vote in a meaningless but potentially fun exercise seems like it should be viewed in that manner, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I've marched in an exhibition show in Oregon (2009) that had fan voting for scores. SCV got a 95.something and we got something like a 50. Yuck. I'm glad to see others agree that we should stay away from that sort of thing. It's honestly demoralizing as a member when you aren't the absolute fan favorite and it's made clear like that.

It's honestly demoralizing as a member when you aren't the absolute fan favorite and it's made clear like that.

Does anybody here really believe that the 2012 champion Blue Devils marchers found it " honestly demoraliziing " when that show was nowhere near a fan favorite 2 seasons ago ?

Please forgive me if this topic has been created or has already been discussed to death, I took a 2 year hiatus from DCP from 2011 to 2013 and there is a possibility that this topic has already been addressed, but here goes.

I understand the judging system and competitive nature of DCI and the reasons behind why the organisation is the way it is. I love the competitiveness and I hope it never changes. I love how certain corps obtain caption awards despite not being in 1st place overall, and I love the focus that DCI has on excellence, and the rewards associated with high levels of performance.

My question is, why is there not a special award that fans can give out? Why doesnt DCI let you text them (only one vote per registered phone number) your favorite show? Why isnt there a fan-favorite award? I think it would be so interesting and rewarding for a corps that may not be the most proficient and innovative on the field to receive a "everyone liked your show the most" award.

I feel this would be very easy to do... Heck reality shows do it all the time by having people vote in with a phone and then awarding a particular person who has the most votes. Why doesnt DCI do this? Even if they were to only allow participants who were actually live at the stadium, who could, upon the ending of the show, text a specific number their vote (which number would only be disclosed after the event is over, and the judges are determining scores anyways) of who they enjoyed watching/hearing the most?

We could even create sub captions. Who had the most entertaining show visually, or musically, or who had the greatest "wow" factor or "best uniforms" or whatever, but something that would give fans the option of giving their $.02.

What do you guys think? Why doesnt DCI do this?

Well, I have been promoting the idea that DCI should embrace technology & their fans by letting fans have a 5 point caption on the sheets & let them vote. DCI is scared to death to do this. God forbid you let the stupid fans have a say. After all...what do they know?

Edited by FlamMan

Well, I have been promoting the idea that DCI should embrace technology & their ffans by letting fans have a 5 point caption on the sheets & let them vote. DCI is scared to death to do this. God forbid you let the stupid fans have a say. After all...what do they know?

why is DCI scared to death? Not that I think giving points is a good idea. Just askin

Edited by GUARDLING

why is DCI scared to death. Not that I think it giving points is a good idea.

They are afraid to give up complete control of the scores. If DCI was smart they would see the success of reality based shows that let the audience vote & embrace it.

They are afraid to give up complete control of the scores. If DCI was smart they would see the success of reality based shows that let the audience vote & embrace it.

I think reality shows are quite different PLUS kids pay to do this ALOT. Do you not want the best corps to win? Many of these reality show winners only find out that who was ousted long before the end were far more successful. There's lots of facts to back that up. Wouldn't it be awful if the best corps didnt win or worse be in 5th?

Edited by GUARDLING