is this the oldest drum corps video on youTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNI4fQRJAMY

Madison 1955 - is this the oldest video of a drum corps on YouTube?

Gives a fascinating insight to drum corps back then. I wonder if all corps followed this style/approach?

Edited by DCI-86

So when (and why) did symmetrical drill become de rigueur? Because the first few minutes of drill in this 1955 show certainly doesn't look symmetrical.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

So when (and why) did symmetrical drill become de rigueur? Because the first few minutes of drill in this 1955 show certainly doesn't look symmetrical.

Based on what I have seen, it was in the mid-60's and popular as the most used idea until around 1982-1983.

As for the original question, that 1955 Scouts video is the earliest I have seen.

There's also a nod to that drill during "King Herrod's Song" in the 1999 production.

IIRC there is a ca 1957 vid of Tyrone Guards Sr corps on an episode of the Fred Waring show floating around.

Never watched it as planned to and forgot until now.... :ninja:

I need to post my video of the Hormel Girls Drum & Bugle Corps, from Austin, MN.

It's color and full sound, and it's from 1947. It may very well be the oldest color/sound video of a drum and bugle corps performing their field routine.

It helps that the Hormel Company spared no expense in sponsoring this all-female senior corps back in the 1940s/50s, and they hired a professional film crew to do the honors.

• Like 4

and this my friends, is what many on here (me NOT being one of them) would like to see drum corps go back to. no dance, no artistic guard, no pit, uniforms, g bugles, etc.... etc.... and of course spats!

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

and this my friends, is what a very small few on here (me NOT being one of them) would like to see drum corps go back to. no dance, no artistic guard, no pit, uniforms, g bugles, etc.... etc....

There, I think that may be a more accurate representation...

Don't be a troll..

Edited by Roark1
  • Like 3

and this my friends, is what many on here (me NOT being one of them) would like to see drum corps go back to. no dance, no artistic guard, no pit, uniforms, g bugles, etc.... etc.... and of course spats!

This is way too modern for me. Bring back the 40's when drum corps was drum corps!!! In the 40's, no one would turn their back to the audience! How dare they ruin the activity!

• Like 3