tOSU band being denied performance licenses

As part of the fallout from the sexual harrassment blow-up involving the Ohio State University marching band over the summer, as discussed in this now-locked thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/160286-since-ohio-states-band-is-frequently-discussed-here/?hl=%2Bohio+%2Bstate

...the band is having to rewrite shows as publishers deny them performance licenses due to the notoriety associated with the program. No specific pieces were cited in the story.

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/26397842/publishers-wont-let-ohio-state-band-play-their-music

Of course publishers have every legal right to control who does and doesn't play their music, but this could happen to any corps too in the wake of a similar scandal as well. Of course there is no such scandal at this time involving drum corps. All-Mozart and Bach, anyone? /heh

Anybody who thinks this is just a tOSU problem... my daughter marched in another similar major university band within the past decade. She read the investigation report from the link above and says their program had the same kind of stuff if not worse going on when she was there. Like many of the tOSU students, she had no problem with it. That director is still there. I will not name the school. Things may have changed since she was there, but I doubt it, and I'm sure there are other schools with similar problems.

But I absolutely understand why tOSU responded by firing the director given the results of their investigation. TOSU was already on the short list of major universities under threat of losing their federal research grant money because of Title XIX violation allegations consistent with tolerating an atmosphere conducive to sexual violence, and they ran their investigation and took action the way the feds expect them to. It's a different time from when some of us were in school and marched in bands. You can't get away with some of the stuff that was tolerated then.

Unfortunate that the students are the ones being denied the right to play the music.

It is interesting though that most companies, etc., do not pull their music from play on a radio station when a morning show host, or some other DJ, pulls some crazy and/or offensive stunt. Hmmmm...

• Like 1

Not to be a comparable but since I live in Columbus, I find it hard to believe something could happen to drum corps the same way it has happened in Columbus. This won't go away because the Columbus media, OSU Alumni band, and Jon Waters won't let it go away.

If a drum corps story came out that was similar, it was get a brief mention and then be brushed away and I find it highly unlikely a corps director would launch a giant media campaign to beg for his job back. Once this all settles, it won't be an issue.

Its also pretty petty on the licensing end when we have "musicians" like Chris Brown and R. Kelly. The same licensing companies will sell rights to their songs but they want the OSU band to be upstanding, model citizens.

Uhm this does not happen in my college band AT ALL. None of it. I hope they've learned their lesson for fostering this type of culture and I'm glad that they're feeling the consequences now (Though I feel sorry for the students).

Best ###### Controversial band In the land

• Like 4

I'm glad your experience was very different, Cappybara. I am not suggesting that anything like this would be tolerated in most college bands today. I just wouldn't assume that every other school is clean when only one gets called out. It's like when a football program is caught in violation of the rules and others are not--doesn't mean the others are clean but also doesn't mean that "everybody else is guilty."

I don't expect 100% consistency in the way all artists get treated by music publishers, though I get the point that there some sleazy artists can get performance licenses--maybe not for the same pieces of music though.

While it's true that a corps getting caught in a scandal wouldn't get as much public and media attention as this band, I don't think there's much doubt that tOSU and its band will surely bounce back from this. Some corps might not as their financial support and bottom lines are much more precarious.

Anybody who thinks this is just a tOSU problem... my daughter marched in another similar major university band within the past decade. She read the investigation report from the link above and says their program had the same kind of stuff if not worse going on when she was there. Like many of the tOSU students, she had no problem with it. That director is still there. I will not name the school. Things may have changed since she was there, but I doubt it, and I'm sure there are other schools with similar problems.

Are you talking about This Guy? (Look at my pic). Things have changed a lot in his band since their self imposed suspension in 2008. The biggest disappoinent to me about the OSU band scandal is that their director didnt learn the lesson from Wisconsin. In the report, you could have substituted "Wisconsin" for "Ohio State". That's how depressingly similar the events were.

• Like 1

Uhm this does not happen in my college band AT ALL. None of it. I hope they've learned their lesson for fostering this type of culture and I'm glad that they're feeling the consequences now (Though I feel sorry for the students).

Same here. Our director gives us a talk on day one every year that comes down to everything you do, seen and known about or not, can have a drastic affect on all 200 of us and to think before we act and he won't tolerate any kind of deplorable activities. I have the highest respect for the way we do things and I've never seen any stuff like that here on a large scale. Does stuff happen? Yeah, it's college, but as far as being widespread through every age and section, definitely not. Was never put in any uncomfortable initiation or hazing situations as a freshman.

Sucks for the kids, but some of them are probably guilty of some of the stuff in question as well, wasn't the director doing all that stuff. There were students involved as well. Don't want everyone to get punished, don't be an idiot. I'm not one to let the actions of a few reflect the many, but not everyone is as forgiving.

Edited by DrumManTx

Are you talking about This Guy? (Look at my pic). Things have changed a lot in his band since their self imposed suspension in 2008. The biggest disappoinent to me about the OSU band scandal is that their director didnt learn the lesson from Wisconsin. In the report, you could have substituted "Wisconsin" for "Ohio State". That's how depressingly similar the events were.

Sadly, no. That makes three. All major football and band schools. But on the good side, the UW band has cleaned it up and bounced back stronger.

Edited by Peel Paint

Sadly, no. That makes three. All major football and band schools. But on the good side, the UW band has cleaned it up and bounced back stronger.

Maybe it's just a Big 10 Band thing...

Edited by Cappybara