2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

Hey yell over at Mike and tell him to get the feed up

• Like 2

Next on the field is Excelsior from Albany, New York, and Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Their 2014 program is entitled "On The Way To... [bruno] Mars: Run Away Baby".

Pit intro to star the show as the horns and guard perform together. Small inflatable balls are the equipment. I'm assuming they're supposed to be Mars.

The show opens with Michael Jackson's Earth Song. Trumpet and mellophone soloists start before the rest of the corps comes in. Trumpet soloist is still up front. Think Crossmen 2012 opener.

The tempo kicks up for Van Morrison's Moondance. Trumpet soloist up front takes the melody. Guard workin' it in a tight block on side two with brilliant blue and green flags.

After the first hit of the chorus, the mellos and baris play at a downward angle for visual and musical effect. Trumpet soloist continues to wail. Now the full hornline is behind him as they finish the song.

Now for the Bruno Mars part of the show. I recognize the song but don't know the title. One of the pit players is pretending to perform as Bruno Mars while a keyboardist plays the melody. Horns back in for the chorus as the drums rock out and our trumpet soloist gets a little more comfortable and takes his jacket off.

*sigh* bet feed kicks in when I go out to pick up lunch.....

One of the inflatable balls has blown off the field. Hope they don't need it.

Tempo is down for the next piece. I don't recognize it but, since I assume we've reached Mars in our theme, I also assume it's another Bruno Mars selection.

The kid who was Bruno Marsing it earlier is now voguing all over the place. He's very dynamic to watch!

This trumpet soloist is nails. Hasn't fracked a note and knows how to play to the crowd without overdoing it.