I&E Results?

Star... always clean but extremely boring...

That was not my impression of tonight's audience reaction! Huge rounds of applause multiple times during Star's show and, at the end, every bit as full a standing ovation as Ghost Riders or Opus 7 got. It was an awesome performance of Scheherazade.

it was simply word up

Before Opus 7 began setting up, one of their members first placed one of Carolina Gold's tombstones on the stage. The one reading "San Francisco Renegades 2002-2012".

Then nothing happened for about a minute. No one was on the stage. The audience began to notice the tombstone and were muttering.

I began to wonder if their performance was going to be no performance at all but ten minutes of silence, as a way of protesting their sort-of demise!

I think they are going to bring the tombstone back at finals and rise from the grave in the middle of Carolina's performance adding a little jazz to their dark show. The dark jackets will fit in well with a dark show.

There has been many a rant and rave on here about mini-corp scoring through the years, however the rules are still somewhat ambiguous and the performances last night showed that. Judging them is a very difficult job. I was sitting behind some members of other mini-corps who had never seen the other competitors (probably always practicing with their main corps) and they just had their jaws dropped and said wow a few times during Star's performance. They really were good, there were 2 mini corps that I thought fell into the boring category, but I don't think anyone was sleeping during Star's show.

Star United IS boring ! So are the Blue Devils ! and so were the 1951 thru 1964 New York Yankees !

In the case of Star United and Blue Devils: being able to take something complex and make it appear to be simple; taking something incredibly difficult and make it seem easy; taking a performance that is tongue twisting, finger twisting, ankle twisting, and mind boggling and making it seem.......... pedestrian.

As both approach (and one even reached) 100, they bore me to the edge of my seat !

Joe

• Like 4

Star United IS boring ! So are the Blue Devils ! and so were the 1951 thru 1964 New York Yankees !

In the case of Star United and Blue Devils: being able to take something complex and make it appear to be simple; taking something incredibly difficult and make it seem easy; taking a performance that is tongue twisting, finger twisting, ankle twisting, and mind boggling and making it seem.......... pedestrian.

As both approach (and one even reached) 100, they bore me to the edge of my seat !

Joe

I've seen Star quite a few times in my short time being a part of DCA, and they are anything except boring. They are clean, they have the best quality of sound. That's exciting to me, plus the fact that they do more than just stand there and play loud. They have ups and downs in their show, which makes it more interesting. So I'm sorry to break this to you, but Star United is anything but boring. None of the Mini Corps were boring at all yesterday.

I've seen Star quite a few times in my short time being a part of DCA, and they are anything except boring. They are clean, they have the best quality of sound. That's exciting to me, plus the fact that they do more than just stand there and play loud. They have ups and downs in their show, which makes it more interesting. So I'm sorry to break this to you, but Star United is anything but boring. None of the Mini Corps were boring at all yesterday.

WOW ! Did I do a TERRIBLE job of making my point......... what I quoted here from you was EXACTLY my intended point ! (I thought the "edge of seat" finish would have nailed it.........Sorry I did a bad job of it.

• Like 3

Star United was outstanding!

They played not only to the sheets (that reward excellence) but also to the packed audience and nailed it. I knew they had the title after the first 30 seconds :).

Nice post; my only quibble would be that Star's show didn't look the least bit simple or easy to me!