2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

My enthusiasm and support for Cabs has always been evident in my posts here, although I try to be objective when discussing topics other than pride and support for them. As a die-hard Cabs fan since 1956, I need to state two things this morning:

1. Cutting the plane of a boundary line is a penalty and there is no excuse for it. Design problem or execution problem, or both, it's a one point penalty..... NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

2. I DID NOT KNOW that judges go back over sheets and assign sub-caption scores after a block of corps performs. Given that the Bucs and MBI 100s came AFTER Cabs performed, my original post last night (which assumed that the score was assigned at end of each corps performance) is flawed and invalid.

That being said, the only reason I can see for judges going back and assigning numbers after watching a block is to keep the winning score higher.

I've been WRONG about the scoring procedure since the last tick was recorded !

My apology for my erroneous complaint about the four 100s......

Gil Silva just slipped and called this DCA's 50th wedding anniversary.

Funny, since there was both a proposal and a wedding on the field during retreat.

Here is what I was able to find. If any of my numbers are off, please correct me.

The first DCA perliminary competition at finals was 1967. The Hurricanes won both the perliminary competition and the championship

• The first time a corps lost in prelims and went on to win finals was 1984. Reading won prelims with a 91.20 and Hawthorne won finals with 92.40
  • The next time it happened was 1986. Hawthorne won prelims with an 89.65 and Bush won finals with a 92.45
  • In 1988 Sun won prelims outright with a 94.00. Then Bush and Sun tied with a 96.36. This is an interesting one, as the winner of preliminaries did go on to win a championship
  • It didn't happen again until 1996 When Hawthorne won prelims with a 95.40 and the Westshoremen went on to take finals with a 96.90
  • The following year in 1997 Syracuse won prelims outright with a 96.00. Finals produced a tie between Empire and Syracuse with a 96.30. (Similar to what happened in 1988)
  • And finally, 2014. Hawthorne took prelims with a 96.85 and Reading took finals with a 97.55

If there are any errors or omissions, please correct them.

Here is what I was able to find. If any of my numbers are off, please correct me.

The first DCA perliminary competition at finals was 1967. The Hurricanes won both the perliminary competition and the championship

• <snip>

Thanks for the research legwork. As few times as it happened, it sure made each occurrence memorable enough to discuss for years !

Joe

2. I DID NOT KNOW that judges go back over sheets and assign sub-caption scores after a block of corps performs. Given that the Bucs and MBI 100s came AFTER Cabs performed, my original post last night (which assumed that the score was assigned at end of each corps performance) is flawed and invalid.

Heck Joe, I've announced shows in recent years from the box and could swear that the judges put down numbers prior to signing and turning in their sheets ... yes, they all had a crib sheet (like we all did when we judged) where they kept a log of notes and numbers assigned, but I never knew they had to opportunity to go back and adjust scores already given out ... I guess I just learned a new lesson about what "numbers management" means when those in the know make comments here ...

:dontgetit:

Edited by ajlisko

Heck Joe, I've announced shows in recent years from the box and could swear that the judges put down numbers prior to signing and turning in their sheets ... yes, they all had a crib sheet (like we all did when we judged) where they kept a log of notes and numbers assigned, but I never knew they had to opprtunity to go back and adjust scores already given out ... I guess I just learned a new lesson about what "numbers management" means when those in the know make comments here ...

:dontgetit:

It's only been the last two, maybe three years they have done it this way.

My enthusiasm and support for Cabs has always been evident in my posts here, although I try to be objective when discussing topics other than pride and support for them. As a die-hard Cabs fan since 1956, I need to state two things this morning:

1. Cutting the plane of a boundary line is a penalty and there is no excuse for it. Design problem or execution problem, or both, it's a one point penalty..... NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

That being said, the only reason I can see for judges going back and assigning numbers after watching a block is to keep the winning score higher.

I've been WRONG about the scoring procedure since the last tick was recorded !

My apology for my erroneous complaint about the four 100s......

I appreciate your mature response!

Going back and changing drum corps scores is something I never gave much thought about. You know, there IS a similarity (of sorts) here. Unknown to many citizens, our 'lovely' United States Congress allows its members to go back and change their personal votes on certain key issues. As soon as the decision is clear, in that no handful of votes in either direction reversed can change the final outcome, your representative in Congress can go back and vote in a way that is more in line with what his/her constituents would actually have wanted! Makes things a little easier back home, I suppose. A little slimy, anyone?

• Like 1

It's only been the last two, maybe three years they have done it this way.

Do you know if it's allowed at every show, or just Championships?

Just curious ... that's all ... obviously all the member corps voted on the change ...

I wish DCA would offer a Judging for Dummies course before each season for ... well ... dummies like me ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Cabs. Easily

Oh really ?

• Like 1

The Hawthorne Caballeros just slammed the door. Good lord, that was a great performance.

Really ?

• Like 1