Too much GE?

Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with finals so please don't yell at me :smile:

So, we all know that GE + communication is 50% of the score. Ensemble music + ensemble visual is 20%.

What if we stopped making GE the largest caption and instead made the ensemble captions worth the most?

Would shows become boring or lose appeal? Would corps stop challenging themselves to try new things?

Would execution and cleanliness suddenly become more important and we have better marching and playing groups?

Would making the ensemble captions more important than GE make judging less subjective?

Just putting it out there for conversation...what do you think?

Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with finals so please don't yell at me :smile:

So, we all know that GE + communication is 50% of the score. Ensemble music + ensemble visual is 20%.

What if we stopped making GE the largest caption and instead made the ensemble captions worth the most?

Would shows become boring or lose appeal? Would corps stop challenging themselves to try new things?

Would execution and cleanliness suddenly become more important and we have better marching and playing groups?

Would making the ensemble captions more important than GE make judging less subjective?

Just putting it out there for conversation...what do you think?

I think that even when other captions were assigned more points BITD effect has been a part of every caption and in essence made it a powerful part of show productions. I think we also have corps now at the highest levels of playing as well as marching ( moving ) IMO effect has not sacrificed quality at all , I think it made it just as good or better. Results aside , I personally haven't been this impressed with ALL finalist in a long time....JMO

I think corps who win will also work whatever a sheet is to be a winner BUT I also thin k once the barn door is opened its opened. If ya get me..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

be nice to know what exactly communication stands for

i think even if there was a definitive answer there still would be people who either dont like the answer or agree. Look at the DCI site. That's been an argument forever. I think many look at communication as one thing and that is ( I'll use all the drum corps terms ) Blow your face off, butts out of seats, baby throwing, etc etc. I'ts so much more than that I think, although it can be a consideration. I think at one time it was enough , just not anymore.

Edited by GUARDLING

well i'm referring specifically to the communication sheet DCA uses. Because quite honestly, it's already factored into the regualr GE sheet.

What DCA needs is a field visual person. WAY too much slop, even at the upper levels.

• Like 5

well i'm referring specifically to the communication sheet DCA uses. Because quite honestly, it's already factored into the regualr GE sheet.

What DCA needs is a field visual person. WAY too much slop, even at the upper levels.

I get ya BUT dont you think we have gone beyond the nit pick run around looking at an individual thing. I can maybe see it for percussion but thats it. Youre right about factored in on the GE sheet so was it presented this year just to appease? hmmmmmm thats another argument..lol

I get ya BUT dont you think we have gone beyond the nit pick run around looking at an individual thing. I can maybe see it for percussion but thats it. Youre right about factored in on the GE sheet so was it presented this year just to appease? hmmmmmm thats another argument..lol

if you're popping high 9's in visual sheets upstairs with people clearly out of step, blowing steps offs, then no, it needs to be addressed.

• Like 5

if you're popping high 9's in visual sheets upstairs with people clearly out of step, blowing steps offs, then no, it needs to be addressed.

yeah I guess. quality seems so much higher and I dont think 1 person the way shows are designed today will do or show much on the field BUT either way I wouldnt be bothered by it. Maybe because for me any way being technical makes the the visual all the more impressive. So maybe it's just my thinking because thats the way I have always taught. If I couldnt clean it I sure as hell hid it..lol

yeah I guess. quality seems so much higher and I dont think 1 person the way shows are designed today will do or show much on the field BUT either way I wouldnt be bothered by it. Maybe because for me any way being technical makes the the visual all the more impressive. So maybe it's just my thinking because thats the way I have always taught. If I couldnt clean it I sure as hell hid it..lol

it wasn't hidden. I'm a drummer and I caught it LOL

• Like 1