Is it just me?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the people who are the most vociferous and adamant about collusion, score tampering, conspiracy theory, judge incompetency, etc. etc. are never the people that are actually directly involved (members) with the organizations in question?

At the same time, the people who ARE directly involved, while being the most competitive, hard core, driven people, with so much seemingly to loose, are the first to extend a hand of congratulations to the organizations that were the source of "controversy" to others. If you haven't already seen it, check out the post that Frank Ponzo (soloist with Cabs) sent Andrea Gwyn (drum major for Bucs) on facebook. Class acts, both of them.

Perhaps those participants have a somewhat different perspective?

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

Just sayin'

Dan

Edited by Dan Detweiler
  • Like 8

Been happening for decades! But yes you are right! Frank Ponzo is the definition of class in my book! A GREAT role model as far as I am concerned.

Are you telling me there are no conspirators in this activity? whoa man... WHOAAAAA!

Come closer.... shhhhh....

they're everywhere man! everywhere!!!

• Like 1

So, Dan, you're saying that the Bucs and Cabs colluded with the judges so that the former would only beat the latter at the very first and very last shows of the year and they'll all soon be sharing a cell with Gov. Ultrasound? :tounge2: I see the quid, but pro quo?

Seriously: I'm not a participant, and I don't think there was anything nefarious going on. On the other hand, on my way out of the stadium, I did speak briefly with one Cabs member who strongly felt that the final result was, well, unprintable here. But he may feel different after having had some time to reflect.

OK I had to google the Guv reference..... LOL

So, Dan, you're saying that the Bucs and Cabs colluded with the judges so that the former would only beat the latter at the very first and very last shows of the year and they'll all soon be sharing a cell with Gov. Ultrasound? :tounge2: I see the quid, but pro quo?

Seriously: I'm not a participant, and I don't think there was anything nefarious going on. On the other hand, on my way out of the stadium, I did speak briefly with one Cabs member who strongly felt that the final result was, well, unprintable here. But he may feel different after having had some time to reflect.

Hey, I'm not saying that there wasn't disappointment in the air that night. I don't think I said a word to anyone for about 12 hours! I am probably one of the most competitive people out there. Sure, in the heat of the moment there were plenty of ill thoughts. But...cooler heads prevail, time lets us evaluate the entire experience and again realize why we all do this. I think that is the big difference between most people that share the experience with their perspective drum corps families and those that observe from the stands. We have the benefit of the experiences that led up to that night. The private things that went into the making of all of our perspective performances that bind us together. At least that is the way I see it. Certainly can't and won't speak for everyone...not even others in my own corps. That is just the way I see it.

Dan

• Like 1

Well Dan I for one enjoyed your show a lot more than the Cadets 2 ,but i'm not a judge just a retired corps director

How many times did this scenario take place through the years? It is documented that 1972, 1981, 1996 were top stories in this regard....but there were many more. In the late 80's and early 90's there were shows that whomever produced that night better than the other 2 or 3 corps in the same pack would win the show. That is when it was difficult to judge. Look at the battles between Sun and Bush, Sun and Hurcs, Cru and Empire, Steel City and Westshoremen, Empire and Bush, Empire and Brigs, Empire and Cabs, Cabs and Sky, Westshore and Cabs and all of the above on any given year.

You walk out of the stadium with no thoughts of talking to anyone from the corps that beat you that wasn't expected, but it doesn't last long. These are competitors.

DA

Side note...I competed in mini corps this year with a product that was very good. We got beat by a product that was even better. Disappointed? maybe a little. Mad? not at all. My team did the best they could! That is what you are supposed to do at DCA. The best you can do. If you did that, and you had fun, you did DCA correctly!

• Like 3

WOW....thanks Dan!!!

Listen folks. I was disappointed with the outcome, not going to lie. We had a great show at finals. So did the Bucs. I left the field, madder than hell. Didn't even stay around to hang with any of my friends, and anyone who came up to me immediately after retreat would not have been able to talk to me.

BUT, if you think for one second the Bucs would just lay down and NOT give their best performance of the year on Finals Night, then you do NOT know the true meaning of competition. The Bucs brought their A game that night, as did we, but man.....they had a great show that night. I watched it multiple times on the fan network a couple of days later and could not believe that was the same corps we beat the day before. They were good....REALLY good! And I congratulate each and every member of the Bucs for the way they won. I do not believe they expected to win, but they did. Kudos to them. I can honestly say that I left the field knowing I just gave one the best performances of my life, and I felt really good about it. The crowd loved it too, and THAT is what I do it for. If I happen to win, then great...winning is a Bonus, and I hope everyone understands that.

• Like 8