Historical DCA Fashions... Or What Not To Wear

Just curious... since I'm new here, I've been going back through Corpsreps, and Wikipedia (yeah yeah yeah... I dont like it for research either)

I noticed the Cabs and Kilts have been in the same garb forever, which is cool and has stood the test of time. But here's question for all of you out there in off-season land. And some homework for all you old farts.

Who has any pics of historical uniforms of the rest of DCA, and what do you miss?

For example...

The Bucs wearing the powder blue thingamabob they had at some point. Did they have a long coat way back?

Sunrisers actually wearing orange.

Fusion... did they have anything else? Or did they always wear this uni since they're relatively new.

Bushies. Whats the history and evolution of the sash? Why is there no neckerchief like your logo?

MBI? yeah I dont miss the fedoras though.

What about the rest of you? Canes, SunDevils, Skyliners....etc.

What bright bold statement did these corps first make? What was the uni they were wearing when they first made finals?

• Like 1

I'll always see the long baby blue coats first when I picture Bucs in my mind - Late 70s through much of the 80s, I think? And, well, real Hurricanes always wear police-style caps, I think originally black, then, starting about the same time as Bucs' long blue coats, white ones. I understand the reason for the shakos, but that doesn't mean I gotta like 'em (Sames goes for Sun, now, I guess).

And of course, Bush started out in long coats, too - Gray ones, with, IIRC, rainbow-colored trim?

The wildest stuff I got to see personally is Matadors in their giant embroidered and bespangled sombreros (Before they, too, switched to shakos for their last couple/few years).

Edited by grenadasmoothie

Skyliners uniforms go way back! They were based on the winter uniforms of Phoebe-Apperson-Hearst Post junior corps from the 30s and 40s. Phoebe-Hearst's summer uniform had white or cream colored trousers. Winter was black trousers.

Thank God they didn't go with Grand Street's uniforms. Though classic on their own, they were made for the corps by Brooks Brothers. At today's costs, that would have been prohibitive, to say the least.

Ray

My first encounter with Bucs was the black pants, and white shirts that had the ruffled front, and their Aussie hat and plume (in 1978) buut they added a powder blue vest of sorts by the end of the year..then we all know what they did in 1979 with the long coats.....I THINK they stopped using them in 1988 (I marched part of that year) they may have dropped the coats in 87..but I was out of the loop that year....but anyway, they went with the powder blue tunic with a red and white sash, and cummerbund (with black pants again) LOVE their uni's now!

I think Sky's are the only ones that kept to the old "classic" style!

• Like 1

I think Sky's are the only ones that kept to the old "classic" style!

As Ray pointed out, Sky's traditional military jacket can be traced back to one of the Jr corps that helped form them after WWII ... they were introduced in 1946 ... and Sky's FB sites are chuck full of pics ... it is probably one of the most recognizable unis along with the maroon jackets of the Garfield/Holy Name/Cadets ... there were only two years (2000 and 2001) where the corps went to a more modern material and uni design ... then switched back to the original in 2002 ...

:-)

• Like 1

As Ray pointed out, Sky's traditional military jacket can be traced back to one of the Jr corps that helped form them after WWII ... they were introduced in 1946 ... and Sky's FB sites are chuck full of pics ... it is probably one of the most recognizable unis along with the maroon jackets of the Garfield/Holy Name/Cadets ... there were only two years (2000 and 2001) where the corps went to a more modern material and uni design ... then switched back to the original in 2002 ...

A BIG thank you to Mr. Lisko for his efforts in raising the funding to put the corps back into THEIR uniform back then. The "alternate" uniforms were due to fiscal problems, as it is with most corps. Through Andy's efforts, alumni and fans brought the uniform back to where it should be.

A BIG thank you to Mr. Lisko for his efforts in raising the funding to put the corps back into THEIR uniform back then. The "alternate" uniforms were due to fiscal problems, as it is with most corps. Through Andy's efforts, alumni and fans brought the uniform back to where it should be.

Thanks Ray ... the uniform means a lot to many of us ... maybe someone from the 80's or 90's will take up the challenge to form a new Uniform Fund for Sky as they grow in size over the next few years ...

• Like 1

One person that has been around a LONG, LONG time is George Hayek of the Cabs Alumni and he has a remarkable memory. I would ask him and see what he can remember,

I marched with Sunrisers from 1977 through 1982.

We went from a white top with orange and blue accents, and blue pants with an orange stripe, in 1977-79.... to the white top/blue pants with a rainbow cross sash and cape in 1980 (IMO, the whole rainbow thing was a "WTF were WE thinking???" moment in Sunriser history... :tongue: ) to an orange tunic top with blue pants starting in 1981.

The corps kept that motif for several years, then went with white pants to go with the orange top for a number of years.

The corps' 1960s uniform... a cream-colored cadet jacket with orange and blue accents and blue pants... was a classic uni. Beautiful.

Edited by Fran Haring