Kilties

After watching prelims it is obvious some people need to make some changes. Most noticeable was Kilties. The show lacked direction and was very slow to develop in places. The guard seemed to be stronger than most of the corps and they suffered, like the rest of the corps from bad staging. I hope this organisation which once produced great programs can make the changes necessary to become more competitive. Looks like a need for a coordinator and a drill designer with a stronger grasp of staging.

• Like 1

I'm just going to say they need someone to plan their show and coordinate the components. I don't think they've ever had a lack of talent, its just that they need someone to pull it all together.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

I always want to root for them. In 2005, after a drought since either 97 or 98, they were on their way to the night show when the unfortunate incident with Lothar happened. Since then, and god knows I've gotten flack for reviews I have done saying this, but show design has stagnated and/or regressed. They don't need to run around the field at 210 to improve, they need to be staged well for musical success, and play well, and they haven't. Since about 2009, show design seems to going more and more retro. it's like the organization can't make up it's mind....go more old school, or try to be more current. I don't know the inner workings of the corps, but one thing that's noticeable is the size of the corps is decreasing. By all rights they should have been A Class this year. I realize, like Bush did in their lean years, going that route to some is a step backwards. To that I say look at corps like Sky, Gold, etc over the years. Doing A while you reload is not a bad thing.

but the design, the performance and the shrinking mount of bodies is not a good sign. the organization does need direction. Apparently on and off the field.

• Like 1

Talent is there. No question. Desire to perform and excite is there. No question.

Fans wanting Kilties to be great and to root for them. No question.

My Mom wanting me to join and wear the kilt. Thinks I'd look manly as heck in it. Questions from me and I live 800 miles away, but it is my Mom, so, no really... no question. :satisfied:

I'd like to see a program where they can have their cake and eat it too, in terms of being relevant in show design and also maintaining who they are as an organization. The Cabs are doing it, Sky is doing it, Sun is doing it. It can be done.

• Like 1

Scott Stewart could not seem to move them up. Discuss??

Scott Stewart could not seem to move them up. Discuss??

how involved is he in the performance side of things? How much control does he have or does the board call the shots?

how involved is he in the performance side of things? How much control does he have or does the board call the shots?

Good question of which I do not know the answer.

Looking over thier music selections since 2008 and up till 2014 they havent been exactly following the "Kilties" formula of Irish Tunes in a bucket that everyone dogged them about. Looks like they were stepping out of the box. Just not stepping into the box the judges wanted them to it appears.

I've noticed news or discussions of Kilties on DCP has been virtually nonexistent for some time. I think this is both a "no good news so nothing to say" and the community view of "we don't really care so we won't comment on your post."

Ed Mason: 2008-2013 would be the "Scott Stewart years" and those shows were decidedly a departure from earlier "Kiltie Senior" shows, and got us to 9th at DCA 2011 with a very unconventional show for Kilties. Though, I would argue that 2013 was not a true Scott Stewart show, as other fingers seemed to be working their way into the creative pie. (my view as non-member)

Pre-Stewart, the Kiltie "formula" had been what we call a "bookend show" or "Oreo Cookie" with crispy Scottish/Celtic stuff on the front and end and a "let down the hair" jazz/rock "sugar" middle part and drum solo. Corpreps will illustrate that formula. There are some that would like to go back to that, but I think that would send you to the non-competitive/alumni universe. That formula does not fit contemporary competitive drum corps.

Scott had a lot of great out-of-the-box ideas, and my favorite show (9th at DCA Finals in 2011) included the very (for Kilties) out-of-the-box "Interstellar Suite" closer. That show was designed as "Past-Present-Future" and I think made the widest range of both old- and new-school corps fans happy -- and gave the judges some good stuff to digest. It worked. It got us "solidly" into Finals with a 9th -- not a "by a hair" 10th. I also think the "Night at the Opera" show was a completely new and positive direction for Kilties.

Scott Stewart was not involved with the 2014 Kilties; he left after the BOD election a year ago. I would suggest BOD members felt Scott's disease was getting the best of him and causing him difficulty as Executive Director/Program Coordinator. He was offered a less demanding "consultant" role by the BOD a year ago, but he decided not to be involved any longer. For (what seemed to me) to be a lack of a solid succession plan, 2014 was in a "pick up the pieces mode". I would throw HUGE PRAISE on the guy crowned/burdened as program coordinator, and the guy who stepped up as Director to make logistics work.

In the last three weeks I talked to more than 20 members, staff, BOD and alumni about various topics/concerns and about running for either the vacant VP seat (the newly elected VP last year resigned over Scott's departure) or BOD at-large seats. EVERYBODY has strong opinions but NOBODY wants to ever say anything, openly. Typical. In the last 48 hours I posted comments on FB regarding my concerns with recruiting/branding/image, BOD transparency in the past, and the current cost of dues-to-run reason I would not run for a BOD position next weekend. The result so far has been a "lively" discussion about the identity and direction of the Kilties and ingrained roles of some individuals. It also, as predicted, brought very final resolution to a personal relationship. I wish the Kilties well in 2015. As much as I'd like to help and believe I can see a better path, I can't help fix anything as long as some personalities are in place.

Edited by dannyboy
  • Like 3