Kilties

Good question of which I do not know the answer.

Looking over thier music selections since 2008 and up till 2014 they havent been exactly following the "Kilties" formula of Irish Tunes in a bucket that everyone dogged them about. Looks like they were stepping out of the box. Just not stepping into the box the judges wanted them to it appears.

I haven't had issues with them not just rehashing Scotland's greatest hits. In fact, some of the tunes chosen had the potential to be great, but weren't.

My belief is Kilties need a major reboot. Its time to stop trying to emulate a corps that was once great but that was 40 years ago. I think apart from the Kilt, literally everything should be fair game for change. Kilties as is are not remotely competitive and would have been better in the Sunday morning program. In fact I think there are sufficient people interested in being a part of a Kiltie Alumni corps. But some serious soul searching needs to be done if Kilties are going to continue competing in DCA, especially Open Class.

Considering the area they have to draw from (13 million population within 2 hour radius of Racine) some thing is lacking in their recruiting.

• Like 6

There was always one thing that puzzled me, regarding the Kilties "philosophy" between the years 2008 through 2013. While the emphasis in that time period was on performance opportunities and (rightly so) "Entertainment", with the mantra being: "We don't care about the scores and placements" and "DCA is a small part of what we do", that mantra didn't always reflect the thoughts and feelings of the more competitively minded members of the corps. To put it simply: If that is the case, why are you angry or upset when you receive less than desirable scores and prelims results? If indeed, the full membership bought into the aforementioned mantra, there would be no need for presenting a laundry list of excuses, at the end of every DCA season.

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 4

To continue and (hopefully) encourage more discussion on this topic: It's difficult to recruit for a program that has a history of (mostly) last place finishes. That said, I've been involved with programs that have managed to "reboot" and in one case, do so in two seasons and literally come out on top, with a DCA Championship win. Results like that are rare. It's not a good idea in my opinion, to "cast a wide net" and employ everyone caught in it. It's better to develop relationships with local music programs, while targeting a specific demographic. Define that demographic, go where they are and sell your program. Don't get caught up in "numbers". "Big" is not always a good thing.

• Like 1

To continue and (hopefully) encourage more discussion on this topic: It's difficult to recruit for a program that has a history of (mostly) last place finishes. That said, I've been involved with programs that have managed to "reboot" and in one case, do so in two seasons and literally come out on top, with a DCA Championship win. Results like that are rare. It's not a good idea in my opinion, to "cast a wide net" and employ everyone caught in it. It's better to develop relationships with local music programs, while targeting a specific demographic. Define that demographic, go where they are and sell your program. Don't get caught up in "numbers". "Big" is not always a good thing.

first they need a direction, a game plan on who they want to be. From many things seen on social media this past summer, it seems there's a large disconnect between former members and current admin. I'm not talking just guys from the 70's, I'm talking folks from 2010.

• Like 1

As amazed as I am to admit it, Dan S. hits the nail on the head - major reboot is needed, and in almost every area. That's pretty obvious, even looking from Texas. It's going to be one of those things that, if it happens, will make everyone involved intensely uncomfortable for a couple of years until it becomes the new normal.

Mike

• Like 1

Dan S and I had lunch today. I agree with 98% of his thoughts lately (we parted ways on the menu). They have Banquet and Annual Meeting/Election this Sunday. I won't be there (I am done with this) but I hope they take time to ask and discuss the Big Questions of what they want to BE and DO. Real soul-searching. Not just "we want to be more competitive" or "we want to be more contemporary" or "we want to have baby-throwing ovations at exhibitions." As a GROUP, they need to probe questions of IMAGE, BRANDING -- the KILTIE MESSAGE. Get the GROUP to decide who they are and want to be — not just one or two people. Do you want to be the "Mighty Kilties" and recruit people that respond to that image/message -- or "A Plaid Family Quilt" and that group of seekers? Or find a way to resonate with both — acknowledging the different personality types and motivators of horn players, percussion and guard? When I recruited for Capital Regiment in their fast-growth years I had a completely different booth, image and message when I set up at, say, WGI Guard vs. WGI Percussion vs. state MEA conferences. "Technical excellence and artistry" appeals to one group; "Punching a hole through the press box" works on another. You HAVE to appeal with different and targeted messages.

I would point to the early Renegades as masters of marketing, message, image, mystique and allure. Some people here don't like Renegades -- for a variety of reasons -- but nobody can argue they didn't fully grasp how to market and recruit. "Drum Corps Is Evil" "7" "Loudest Drum Corps On Earth" "Loud Music Symposium" "Crunchy Frog" -- yeah maybe you hated it/them, but they were crystal clear about what they were, masters of hype and marketing -- and it attracted stellar horns and battery. Seriously. Give them props for all that.

I believe "The Kilties" belong to a far larger group of people — both Junior and all-age-era Kiltie alumni — than just the current marching members. The current BOD/membership needs to listen (seriously, not just go through the motions) to all of these people. I take issue with leadership that will, on the one hand, celebrate the 80th Anniversary of the birth of Junior Kilties (honestly -- trying to leverage recruiting with that connection/event) -- while at the same time, repeatedly resist/block those same Junior and all-age alumni from trying things like an alumni "Ribbon Cutting Hornline", "Kiltie Klassics" minicorps, SDCA group, etc. There are a whoooole bunch of alumni that cannot commit (due to time or physical issues) to the competitive field program -- but would love to perform -- and support the Kilties -- at that level. The more the merrier — and stronger, the way I see it. And a stronger, larger organization is healthier, more attractive and has more ties/connections... to recruit for a competitive unit (assuming you want to maintain and grow a competitive unit.)

Puzzling addition to the discussion.

• Like 1