Kilties

I am not trashing the Kilties.

I am not trashing the Kilties.

I don't see anyone in here trashing the Kilties.

Thank you (all) for the insights, suggestions and candor.

I wanted to take the time to mention the Kilties just completed our 2014 season on Sunday, September 14th; we were tending to important matters at hand to ensure the financially security of the organization and making the final two weeks memorable and positive in nature for our valued membership.

We had our annual fundraising event this past Saturday (which we work and perform at), followed by our annual season ending banquet this past Sunday.

Now that our 2014 season is formally complete, we move on to 2015.........................

....more to come!

Edited by bill

Not only is it imperative that Kilties decide exactly what they want to be but also decide on what will be the criteria for success. I think that bar has been lowering each year since 2008.

And frankly I think its time for new blood from top to bottom. If the intention is competitiveness in DCA Open Class then that goal is not being reached, not for some time. Doing the same thing with the same people is not going to improve that.

Do we really need an entire thread that does nothing but trash another corps? Come on folks.

My mama always told me that if you didn't have anything good to say...don't say anything.

Dan

I don't see anyone trashing the corps. I see a lot of people that love them that want to see success from the corps. a quality product. A ring? Hey great, but at least competitive.

People that come to prelims are the true diehards. When people get up to skip a corps at prelims, that's a sign

@ Dan D, the criticism from alumni has been pretty muted for a long time. The organization has never been particularly interested in the opinions of people who are no longer in the corps for a long time, despite their having the best intentions for the success of the group. This off season is actually kind of unique in that people are speaking out. There comes a point when speaking out is required. Will it do any good? My guess is not. My fondest wish is to be completely wrong about this. It certainly wouldnt be the first time.

Maybe thats just the ebb and flow of DCA corps, big one year small the next. Considering how many vital corps have gone for the permanent dirt nap in the past 10 years I guess we have to congratulate the Kilties on simply being around. I speak only for myself but I think that in every endeavor when the people arent getting it done, you thank them for all their hard work and get new people.

As a person not in the middle of this discussion, but a long time observer from the perifery - I've been like many fans of the Plaid. It pains me to see the lack of improvement of a competitive product, as the original nucleus of the Kilties begins to wain. Yeah, when they began the experiment, it wasn't easy to come out of nowhere. When they had their peak DCM and DCA - wise, they quickly came to a crossroads IMO. I had hoped bringing in Scott Stewart was going to start the climb up the competitive ladder..I always felt that Scott had the passion for "entertainment for the crowd", along with his connections to keeping his former corps in the hunt, until such time as the powers that be chose to follow the pack to save face with the brand and the circuit.

I knew a lot of the original members of the Kilties when they resurrected the name. There might be 3 or 4 folks left of that group. I'd like to be able to have 3 or 4 groups from DCA Central end up in finals - but it seems that the frustration of members and alums are coming to the surface..and they're doing it in a way that is NOT the norm.

To my friend Bill - it ain't easy to change. Fans from all over the drum corps world who have enjoyed seeing the Kilties are lining up to show their love for the Plaid, and their hopes to see it continue and thrive. It now needs to be a forum where brainstorming from all angles MUST be considered in order to "perpetuate the species"..I have a hard time watching one of my favorite groups continue on a path that needs correction.

I would hope that the Kilties know that their brothers and sisters to the West will do what they can to help. Because I can recall when my drum corps family went through these types of circumstances. It was with the help of one of our alums from Cheeseland that our road back developed..

Keep the faith, baby!!!!

WWBD

Pat

• Like 3