OPEN LETTER TO THE 2014 SUNRISERS

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Like all of your fans and my fellow alumni, I fully expected to enjoy watching you in this year's DCA Finals. When that did not materialize, I was disappointed, just like you. But there is something you must understand.

There was a time when all the great drum corps were in the same position: The Buccaneers, Cabs, Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Cadets...all of them. The ones who eventually became champions all have something in common. Like prize fighters who are knocked down, they get up off the canvas and back into the ring. No one ever succeeded by giving up. It's called paying dues.

The judges are not incompetent, nor are they dishonest or unfair. All of them are experts of whose resumes you should be in awe. They have marched in and taught National Champions. Nor is the management of DCA arranged against any corps. They want you to succeed.

You had the best corps in years and performed well. It was close, but a couple of your competitors edged ahead that afternoon. The professional response is to tip your hat to them and say, “Congratulations. We'll see you next year.”

No one ever succeeded by quitting. (If Winston Churchill had done so in WWII, this letter would be written in German, and all drum corps would be carrying flags with swastikas on them.)

If you really want to be worthy to carry on the tradition of the Orange and Blue, you must double down on your determination and return with enthusiasm this coming season. That is what we did back in the day when these things happened. That is why there is a Sunrisers corps for you to belong to now. That's where the DCA and National Championships came from.

Your staff is replete with Hall of Fame members and champions (not everyone can say that). If you make a commitment, they will take you higher.

You have made real progress. Seize that opportunity and take the next step.

Fond regards,

Frank Dorritie

Sunrisers 1963-73

Instructor/Arranger: Sunrisers

Garfield Cadets

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats...etc

Member: Sunrisers Hall of Fame

Buglers Hall of Fame

World Drum Corps Hall of Fame

8- time DCA I&E Champion

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 4

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Like all of your fans and my fellow alumni, I fully expected to enjoy watching you in this year's DCA Finals. When that did not materialize, I was disappointed, just like you. But there is something you must understand.

There was a time when all the great drum corps were in the same position: The Buccaneers, Cabs, Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Cadets...all of them. The ones who eventually became champions all have something in common. Like prize fighters who are knocked down, they get up off the canvas and back into the ring. No one ever succeeded by giving up. It's called paying dues.

The judges are not incompetent, nor are they dishonest or unfair. All of them are experts of whose resumes you should be in awe. They have marched in and taught National Champions. Nor is the management of DCA arranged against any corps. They want you to succeed.

You had the best corps in years and performed well. It was close, but a couple of your competitors edged ahead that afternoon. The professional response is to tip your hat to them and say, “Congratulations. We'll see you next year.”

No one ever succeeded by quitting. (If Winston Churchill had done so in WWII, this letter would be written in German, and all drum corps would be carrying flags with swastikas on them.)

If you really want to be worthy to carry on the tradition of the Orange and Blue, you must double down on your determination and return with enthusiasm this coming season. That is what we did back in the day when these things happened. That is why there is a Sunrisers corps for you to belong to now. That's where the DCA and National Championships came from.

Your staff is replete with Hall of Fame members and champions (not everyone can say that). If you make a commitment, they will take you higher.

You have made real progress. Seize that opportunity and take the next step.

Fond regards,

Frank Dorritie

Sunrisers 1963-73

Instructor/Arranger: Sunrisers

Garfield Cadets

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Bluecoats...etc

Member: Sunrisers Hall of Fame

Buglers Hall of Fame

World Drum Corps Hall of Fame

8- time DCA I&E Champion

No surprise here, but well said.

And to Larry Visconti, well done - no surprise there either.

• Like 2

Frank no one could ever do a better job of putting into words what needs to be done ,Congrads to you for telling it like it is .May the Sunrisers come out next season bigger and stronger and take there place back in the top 10 .

"May the Sunrisers come out next season bigger and stronger..."

Indeed. That would enrich the drum corps landscape.

Like James Joyce with a trumpet...

In G

• Like 1

Hear, hear! Thanks for allowing me a small part in your success. I agree with Frank wholeheartedly. While I was not able to do as much as would have liked to do with the corps because of my distance away from the island, the performance at DCA prelims was a great example of determination from the corps.

Don't give up now! Build on it!

Donny Allen

Brass arranger 2014 Sunrisers

• Like 1

From what i'm reading on facebook a few kids where going to look into DCI corps ,but have said there stickin with SUNRISERS ,I think where all in for a nice surpise next season from Sun . Thoses kids are so into the corps which can only make them greater .

It's funny. Way back in the day we all could have gone to the Skyliners or Cabelleros (both great corps) but we chose to stay with the Sunrisers, mainly because of the comeraderie we had created and the staff to whom we had become devoted.

We knew we had a chance to create something wonderful and unique, and that's exactly what happened. I hope the current members recognize that they have the same chance.

Word is, though, they are making some choices.

From the pics they posted today .From Brentwood High School looks like a bunch of kids are there in there SUNRISERS TEE Shirts help out to get new members at the Band show today ,12 bands completing in todays show ,a few new kids signed up .