Favorite NON Finalist corps...what about yours?

Charioteers

Precisionaires

Polish Falcon Cadets

Southern Tier Grenadiers

Squires

Royal Brigade

Blue Rock

Marquis

Beverly Cardinals

Avant Garde

L'Offensive Lions

Seattle Imperials

• 2 weeks later...

I marched in the Crusader's so I'd probably be biased in commenting on them so as to non-Crusader Corps. First, I will preface by stating that I have not seen very many Corps performance's whether it be while sitting in the stands or on YouTube. Having said that I thought the 1975 Polish Falcon's were a really intense Corp and I especially liked their opener though I can not recall the name of the piece. I also thought the 1974 Wilmington Cardinal's had a great show opening with "Fanfare for The New." Their concert was Bill Chase's "Get it on" and their closer was the Moody Blue's "Night's In White Satin." I also knew a lot of people who marched in the Cardinal's that year having marched with them in the Legion Vanguard the previous year. The Legion Vanguard was a corp that merged with the Cardinals in 1974 with both Corps and a few others eventually forming the Northstar. I think I got that right.

Edited by Bsader

Saw Beverly Cardinals at a show in Bellefontaine, Ohio which I think was 1972 or 1973. I know they played "Get It On" that year. Also at the show was The Marion Cadets and Mello Dears. Not sure who else was at the show besides them and us (Royal Coachmen). Can't find scores from that show.

Charioteers

Precisionaires

Polish Falcon Cadets

Southern Tier Grenadiers

Squires

Royal Brigade

Blue Rock

Marquis

Beverly Cardinals

Avant Garde

L'Offensive Lions

Seattle Imperials

If you want to look at some great corps that didn't make finals look at 13 and under at the 71 World Open. Incredible show. If I could pick just 2 it would be Polish Falcons 74 and there was a couple of years when Watkins Glen Squires were really on fire and didn't make finals.

• Like 2

Florida Wave, Geneseo Knights, Tarheel Sun, L'Insolite, Ventures, Valley Fever, Argonauts.

Edited by grenadasmoothie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

93 Freelancers "The Chase" 1 and done. 13th

Hmmm ... let's go back in the Time Machine ... Mr. Peabody and Sherman, would you please dial it up to the 60's? ... good ... ah yes ... here we are ...

1962 ... VFW Nats ... Minneapolis, MN ... St. Raphael's Bucs scores an impressive 82.35 in prelims and is hanging on all day long for a Finals slot ... Kilties and Cambridge are tied on the tote board with an 84.00 all day long ... last corps appears ... St. Raphael's is in as the "13th" corps due to the tie ... but wait ... Tony S is not pleased ... does not want a 13 corps Finals ... tie is broken after "review" of the sheets ... Kilties score now 84.05 ... St. Raphael's now "out" ... as Kenny Norman says, Tony S could always find ya a couple of tenths ... in this case - a 1/2 theth ...

Okay, Mr. Peabody ... let's move forward to 1964 ... VFW in Cleveland ... upstart Bridgeport PAL made their "bones" during the season by beating both Boston and Garfield ... respectable showing at their first VFW Nats scoring an 81.825 in Prelims ... tied with Racine Scouts ... hovering around Finals all day ... Garfield posts an 82.60 ... unexpected, but oh well ... PAL and Scouts miss Finals tied for 13th ... now ... you must remember that recaps from those days were not handed out at the show ... they were mailed to corps weeks after ... recaps come ... recaps reviewed ... HOLY M&M Batman! ... Garfield got a 30 out of 30 in M&M instead of the 20 out of 30 that added up on the sheets ... sorry ... too late ... Finals over ... please come back next year to Chicago ... and don't even get me started on 66 in NJ ...

So ... my vote goes to the St. Raphael's Buccaneers and the Bridgeport PAL Cadets as my FAV Non-Finalists ... these were ground breaking times for CT corps on the "national" scene, and they more than proved themselves worthy ...

:-)

1962 ... VFW Nats ... Minneapolis, MN ... St. Raphael's Bucs scores an impressive 82.35 in prelims and is hanging on all day long for a Finals slot ... Kilties and Cambridge are tied on the tote board with an 84.00 all day long ... last corps appears ... St. Raphael's is in as the "13th" corps due to the tie ... but wait ... Tony S is not pleased ... does not want a 13 corps Finals ... tie is broken after "review" of the sheets ... Kilties score now 84.05 ... St. Raphael's now "out" ... as Kenny Norman says, Tony S could always find ya a couple of tenths ... in this case - a 1/2 theth ...

:-)

It always seemed that the Mid Western corps got the extra tenths needed to place higher. We felt that way at the 65 VFW in Chicago. Tony S. of the 60's would have made a great Tony Soprano of today.

• Like 1