Favorite NON Finalist corps...what about yours?

Also 1976 Cadets no way they should have been on the outside looking in.

Totally agree with you on that one, Leo. I'll never understand how that happened.

One of my favorites: 2001 Spirit (I believe they were Spirit of JSU that year) and their "Ghost Train" show.

• Like 2

One of my favorites: 2001 Spirit (I believe they were Spirit of JSU that year) and their "Ghost Train" show.

It is because of that 2001 show that I pushed for the HS band I teach with to use it in 2005...we ended up going undefeated all season long, right through USSBA All-States in II Open at Giant's Stadium that year. At that time I was arranging both wind and percussion; it was a LOT of fun writing that show.

• Like 2

First one that jumps to mind is the '93 Freelancers - holy cow, that brass in the opener. And that nifty bolero in the ballad. And that take no prisoners drum feature that went on and on and on. And that closer that you still hear high school bands copy. (Heard it a couple of years ago, in fact.)

Mike

Who can for get 1966 VFW and Big Tony at Roosevelt Stadium, was at it again.

(Please someone I C Revries and Racine Scouts, yes them again. Please HELP answer.)

The Big sit in at Finals !!!!

Who can for get 1966 VFW and Big Tony at Roosevelt Stadium, was at it again.

(Please someone I C Revries and Racine Scouts, yes them again. Please HELP answer.)

The Big sit in at Finals !!!!

The question that needs to be asked is if that sit-down had not occurred would we have had the birth of the 27th Lancers? hmmm.

• Like 1

From their Corpsreps page:

The Reveries suffered through a disappointing 1967 season. It was obvious that the infamous sit-down strike had been their undoing, as they found themselves blackballed by many show sponsors. And at the end of the season, Father Gallagher informed the corps that the parish would no longer support them.

To this day, 3 of my favorite drum corps recordings are 1983, 1984 and 1985 Avant Garde. Great arrangements with a good hornline, great soloist and cleaver use of low brass. I listen to these more than I do many of the bigger corps.

I have very fond memories of this team, having arranged some of their music, including "Caravan" which they played in '81 and '83. My parents were living in nearby Lake George at the time and considered Avant Garde their "hometown corps".

Two words: Tony Gambaro

What an incredibly talented and dedicated player! Pardon the inside pun, but "That Cat Played High" (and in tune with a great sound). He continues to own the patent on the upper register as a fine trumpeter.

To this day I am in contact with AG's erstwhile director and my friend, Jeff Perkins.

• Like 1