Crown Percussion

I really hope their drumline does stuff that is on par with what their hornline does on a regular basis.

That is what drum corps is all about. Impress me with your technique.

• Like 1

I thought the muffler work would be hard to judge for the reasons others have given. But it's not like they stood around not playing for much of the show, as other corps have been accused of that scored well over the years.

I mean are you saying that if they had put their arms down at their sides during the muffler feature and just not played they would have earned a higher score? Or conversely, were there mistakes made during the muffler feature that lowered their score? Nobody has said that either.

So then the muffler feature shouldn't have hurt them. If the judges couldn't judge it, well they should have ignored it and judged the rest of their show.

I don't think the mufflers hurt them, and it was cool.

I think what hurts them is the fact that they have a reputation for low-scoring drums, and that keeps top talent from auditioning and/or returning. This causes the staff to write an easier book, which in turn causes them to peak early. Is that plausible?

My post was specifically addressing General Effect, where they finished 5th overall. I feel that section of the show had a detrimental effect on that particular caption. Not specifically the music caption itself.

It's hard to know how the GE judges view something very different that's maybe not as impressive (perhaps "expressive" is a better word) as a traditional display. I suspect they would reward the creativity of the idea (let's say, the challenge of doing something that hasn't been done before) enough to offset the arguably lesser impact.

It's hard to know how the GE judges view something very different that's maybe not as impressive (perhaps "expressive" is a better word) as a traditional display. I suspect they would reward the creativity of the idea (let's say, the challenge of doing something that hasn't been done before) enough to offset the arguably lesser impact.

As many have already said, all of that novelty of "doing something new" wears off after the first 15 seconds. At some point, there has to be some kind of music going on to support the idea. Novelties and stunts have been a part of our activity for a long time. But those novelties are usually seconds long, not minutes. They typically are part of a larger picture that supports the idea musically. The Bridgement blindfolded drum solo was a 30 second snippet that ended a 2 minute drum solo that had variety, musicality, virtuosity etc worked in. If it had just been the same pattern over and over again blindfolded for two minutes, people would be saying the same thing about that moment that they are about the muffler solo.

The fact is, while they may have gotten some credit for originality, that's still a really long portion of the show that includes a lot of standing still and playing not very interesting music on metallic percussion. How many other corps had whole minutes of their show when nothing happened?

• Like 2

As many have already said, all of that novelty of "doing something new" wears off after the first 15 seconds. At some point, there has to be some kind of music going on to support the idea. Novelties and stunts have been a part of our activity for a long time. But those novelties are usually seconds long, not minutes. They typically are part of a larger picture that supports the idea musically. The Bridgement blindfolded drum solo was a 30 second snippet that ended a 2 minute drum solo that had variety, musicality, virtuosity etc worked in. If it had just been the same pattern over and over again blindfolded for two minutes, people would be saying the same thing about that moment that they are about the muffler solo.

The fact is, while they may have gotten some credit for originality, that's still a really long portion of the show that includes a lot of standing still and playing not very interesting music on metallic percussion. How many other corps had whole minutes of their show when nothing happened?

Exactly. The echo thing was pretty much the same type of thing. I want to see a whole show like the opening horn book. That was some killer stuff! Then it was just a bunch of filler. Look at all the drum books below them. There was some serious content. Hey I know lets play jingle bells!

I really hope their drumline does stuff that is on par with what their hornline does on a regular basis.

That is what drum corps is all about. Impress me with your technique.

That would really make a super-corps as far as musicality, wouldn't it!

That would also be a fairly rare occurrence, though wouldn't it? It's not often, it seems, a corps is super dominant it both brass and percussion, especially with the consistency that Crown has had lately. It's happened with BD, and Cadets maybe, but probably not too often.

That would really make a super-corps as far as musicality, wouldn't it!

That would also be a fairly rare occurrence, though wouldn't it? It's not often, it seems, a corps is super dominant it both brass and percussion, especially with the consistency that Crown has had lately. It's happened with BD, and Cadets maybe, but probably not too often.

oh FFS! BD SCV Cadets Troopers Kingsmen???? Phantom Regiment? Blue Stars?... Yea wouldn't want them to try TOO hard.

I thought Crown's percussion executed the book pretty well. I think that they're placing low because other corps' percussion sections are just extremely talented.