Crown Percussion

Have you ever compared them side to side?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ab0MJkYw8

is not in the same league as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZASdJznA2w

The approach in the past few years hasn't been uniform, there are a lot of instances of individuals blowing out of the sound. There were lots of rhythmic clarity issues (understand that I mean a lot in the context of world class level drumlines). All of this with a much less complex book. On the surface, both lines seem to be ramming a ton of notes, but the range of rhythmic responsibilities and musical demands on the 2009 line is far and away more demanding than that of the past two or three years.

Yes, percussion is incredibly competitive. It was incredibly competitive in 2009 too. Crown's program is not as strong as it was in 2009. This is not meant to minimize their accomplishments, or demean the members or staff. Its simply an observation.

Maybe it's because I'm not a percussion guy but both those videos were very boring and dull to me... I'm a lot more entertained by BD and SCV in the lot videos.

As a percussionist, I am more impressed by a drum line that is executing musically challenging phrases on the move within the context of the musical book than an isolated shredding session on the front sideline. That's why I was not as impressed with the extended muffler-pounding exhibition offered by the 2014 Crown battery, compared with other lines we all could name.

Maybe it's because I'm not a percussion guy but both those videos were very boring and dull to me... I'm a lot more entertained by BD and SCV in the lot videos.

Neither book is my favorite writing style. However, the level of execution and demand in 2009 is far and away stronger than that of 2014.

• Like 1