Other corps that Left Us....Anyone Know Why They left Us?

Pepe "interacting" :tounge2:

Well we also lost a large percentage of Sr corps in the 60s and 70s. For them it wasn't the touring model but other varied reasons......

ajlisko, I doubt we've ever met as I've never been a meet and greet guy. That is not a criticism as to the type as my oldest brother is one of the more social individuals I have ever known and I like him well enough. I've always hung out with a close circle of friends and never really tried to keep up with the who's who of Drum Corp. Again, not a criticism of those who do but I have often surprised people with the question as to "who is that guy?" Also, I never performed for Mass Brass at the HOF only with the Legends.

As far as all those rumors that followed the Crusader's around we knew they were spawned by the active imaginations of individuals marching in other Corps and so we were amused by them. We never took those rumors seriously. Of course those rumors centered around Boston and Sky as we had the reputations to add credence to them. As I've stated we never really interacted with other Corps never mind brawling with them.

A friend of mine and I were out one night having a few pop's. This was years after being out of the Corp. During our conversation we came to the realization that neither of us could ever remember a member of another Corp approaching the Crusader's so as to socialize. I'm not saying it never happened but if it did neither us could remember it. We are talking over 5 years of being members of the Boston Crusader's and we couldn't remember this ever happening. Ever! These are the realizations and memories that often cause us to laugh at ourselves. We were certainly unique in our ways, and along with that reputation of ours, made us more than a little off putting. I suppose it was our loss but at the same time we had so many character's in our little Corp that kept us so entertained we never really thought about approaching other Corps to socialize never mind being concerned about whether they were approaching us. We also had a lot of beautiful young woman as members and that kept us anchored in place as well.

One last thing, the brawl between the Crusader's and St. Lucy's is or at least was a story that I have heard many times before and during the time I marched with Boston. It is or again was a big part of Crusader folklore.

Edited by Bsader

"One last thing, the brawl between the Crusader's and St. Lucy's is or at least was a story that I have heard many times before and during the time I marched with Boston. It is or again was a big part of Crusader folklore. "

I heard that the cops didn't even try to stop it. Just locked the gates

Edited by Bucbari

>> "One last thing, the brawl between the Crusader's and St. Lucy's is or at least was a story that I have heard many times before and during the time I marched with Boston. It is or again was a big part of Crusader folklore. "

I heard that the cops didn't even try to stop it. Just locked the gates<<

Yeah ... the show was run by the Bpt PAL Cadets ... so cops were plentiful ... and let things play out ... no gates were locked but they did reroute traffic around the maylay ... one of our snares thought he parked his mint 57 Chevy in a safe spot and wound up with a boulder through his windshield ... yup ... definitely fokelore and not urban myth ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

anyone out there remember the Monterey Park Girls Drum and Bugle Corps. I was in it for 10 years starting in the 50s lasting till the 60s. I noticed there is only one corps left in southern Ca now there used to be many

anyone out there remember the Monterey Park Girls Drum and Bugle Corps. I was in it for 10 years starting in the 50s lasting till the 60s. I noticed there is only one corps left in southern Ca now there used to be many

What a 180 this post is from the previous ones. No idea lonnim. Welcome and thanks for steering everyone back to the original topic. Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I remember seeing the Charioteers at US Open 1972 and then later on seeing them rehearse at my high school in North Tonawanda, NY. Always a small corps but man they were clean! Can't figure out why they didn't continue on and then to find out Robert W. Smith was in that corps too!

Loved watching Precisionaires too as they were exciting to watch!

Wausau Story had a heck of a show in 1976.

I remember seeing the Charioteers at US Open 1972 and then later on seeing them rehearse at my high school in North Tonawanda, NY. Always a small corps but man they were clean! Can't figure out why they didn't continue on and then to find out Robert W. Smith was in that corps too!

I was always impressed by the Charioteers. As I stated here a couple years back....The Charioteers got off to an unusual start on the national scene. They were good enough at 1971 American Legion Nationals prelims that they made the final cut. Only problem was that the new corps didn't bother to learn a full show that year (just the shortened prelims drill). They had to pull out of finals, and were replaced by a lower-placing corps.

They placed an impressive 22nd at the 1972 DCI Championship, beating Phantom Regiment.

Then there was the 1973 U.S. Open, where of the 85 corps that competed in all classes, the Charioteers placed #1 in M & M execution, only to place #50 in M & M GE.

Their high point was probably the 2nd place in the '75 DCI Class 'A' finals.

"Corps Brawls":

I've posted this before, but it can stand a retelling:

1961 VFW Nationals, Finals, Miami Florida. St Mary's Majestic Knights (MA) and St Vincent's Cadets(NJ) got into a brawl ON THE FIELD at Finals Retreat.

The corps had had some bad blood earlier in the season and a fight erupted on the field at VFW Finals retreat.

The Finals results were being announced while all this was going on, the announcer, VFW Bands Chairman Tony Schlecta being oblivious to the battle going on right in front of him.

Fleetwood records was in the habit of recording the announcement of scores at Finals and the 1961 rundown is absent due to the sounds of the battle being picked up by Dick Blake's microphones.

Elphaba