Changes at Cadets2

http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/467-youth-education-sets-leadership-for-performing-ensembles

Props to Rich Hammond for getting the corps off the ground and being pretty successful!

• Like 2

To make the top five and score above 90 in the first year of the corps' existence (no matter the existing organizational support available) is pretty impressive. To repeat that for the next two years is no mean feat, either. After all, only three other corps in 2012-2014 (Bucs, MBI, Cabs) placed and scored that well all three years.

Congratulations to Mr. Hammond.

Does anyone know why he was fired from all of his other responsibilities? There must have been something. Mr. Hopkins likes his employees to be proactive and accountable.

C2 did always have a really slow start every season they have been out. Is that a reflection of Mr. Hammond's managing style? There must be a reason why he wasn't just let go of C2. There were many housing situations this year during the tour of C1. Did that have something to do with it?

I am not all that familiar with the inner workings or personalities of YEA, but my reading of the article is not a firing, the organization in its release praises him for the work he has done. If he were being fired they would probably just say members have been replaced. I believe it is more that C2 and the indoor percussion programs have been established and now can be turned over to part time people. Maybe there is a financial piece to it hiring someone full time and providing benefits is awfully expensive these days. Then again not knowing any inside info if could be something completely different. Hopefully Mr Hammond is moving on to better things for his career.

Edited by totaleefree

I understood that Mr. Hammond's job was as the co-ordinator of performance ensembles, not just the C2 and CWP. That's a lot of hats to wear simultaneously or in today's show lingo, multiple simultaneous demand of the performer.

Something has got to give.

Brendan Foley probably had the best success with Cadets housing in the past decade and he was but a recent age-out and first year teacher.

It is not the Cadet custom to befoul the reputation of anyone, no matter how bad.

I understood that Mr. Hammond's job was as the co-ordinator of performance ensembles, not just the C2 and CWP. That's a lot of hats to wear simultaneously or in today's show lingo, multiple simultaneous demand of the performer.

Something has got to give.

Brendan Foley probably had the best success with Cadets housing in the past decade and he was but a recent age-out and first year teacher.

It is not the Cadet custom to befoul the reputation of anyone, no matter how bad.

well except the "young and leaving for love" rant Hop made a few years ago when the young lady whose name I won't mention left YEA for a personal matter.

That said, I read it several different ways, and want to in no way make Rich out to look like a bad guy. to be honest, I think he had the hardest job in DCA.....to be the director yet have no real control.

• Like 1

well except the "young and leaving for love" rant Hop made a few years ago when the young lady whose name I won't mention left YEA for a personal matter.

That said, I read it several different ways, and want to in no way make Rich out to look like a bad guy. to be honest, I think he had the hardest job in DCA.....to be the director yet have no real control.

If that comment was about who I believe it to be, it infuriates me because I know the individual it was made about. Just sayin'.

Most folks I have personally known (at least four) who have worked for the YEA! organization last less than one year, maybe 2. As bad as where I work in terms of retention. At least I have a union to deal with management shenanigans.

Personally, I think that Cadets2 is and was a great idea - one that has indeed been most successful. There were a lot of learning curves to figure out how to make it work as it was neither a traditional DCA corps or a junior corps... they were/are a completely new animal... just as it took MBI many years to find a formula that meant both success at home and success nationally in the all aged arena, it could have been a lot harder for Cadets2 to put the quality product on the field that they did. While he had a wonderful staff to work with, I believe that Rich Hammond brought his experience in how the DCA animal had to work to succeed to Allentown with him. I would declare his tenure a success and feel confident that his leaving was more to do with the overall job description than the quality of the all aged corps. So I say "Well done Richie and best wishes for the future"

Now after reading that statement of fact, Richie is smiling broadly as he probably didn't expect that...

• Like 1

If that comment was about who I believe it to be, it infuriates me because I know the individual it was made about. Just sayin'.

Most folks I have personally known (at least four) who have worked for the YEA! organization last less than one year, maybe 2. As bad as where I work in terms of retention. At least I have a union to deal with management shenanigans.

yeah you know her