IRS complaint filed against DCI?

if you do not have Facebook, I apologize.....a friend posted this link, and you can read the back forth between this John Blair person and Dan Acheson...and attached is a photo that this person submitted a complaint to the IRS against DCI.

In the posters profile picture, he has an old recap with his name on it. IS this an old judge with a grudge?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DCINOMORE/permalink/272422519633123/

I'll try to quote the text if I can

• Like 1

Odd that Blair would check the "don't disclose my name" box on the IRS form, then post it on his FB page.

Clearly, Blair has issues with Cesario's relationship to DCI. It might be a valid topic to raise, but it doesn't seem to have much to do with DCI's tax status. It has more to do with DCI's integrity, which as long as DCI is following the law, is outside IRS jurisdiction.

I do think that, rather than taunting Acheson with a list of leading questions, Blair would be better served to state his argument, show his evidence and see whether it amounts to anything.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

but is that basis enough to formally file a complaint with the IRS?

but is that basis enough to formally file a complaint with the IRS?

Well, anyone can file a complaint, with anyone, about anything. Whether the IRS gives his complaint any credence is another matter. My guess is the IRS will tell him to go away unless he's got suspicions that DCI is violating tax law. "Refusing to answer questions" about 990 forms that otherwise have been accepted and filed by the IRS may be bad PR, but it's probably not a violation of any law.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Getting all worked up about Cesario acting as a consultant to DCI on programming, despite the fact that he has an endorsement deal with FJM is like basketball fans getting mad at the NBA for employing Michael Jordan as a basketball consultant even though he has a shoe deal with Nike.

It's stupid as all hell.

Michael Cesario plays a large role in setting trends in drum corps. And he plays a large role in how trends are judged in drum corps.

The questions raised are completely valid.

Are they well articulated, or should they in any way involve the IRS? Not sure. Should the email exchange with Dan Acheson be posted on facebook? Doubtful. But the questions being raised are not "stupid as all hell."

Also, the Michael Jordan analogy is not accurate in this case, as Michael Jordan is not profiting from the competitive results of other teams that use his product relative to teams that don't use his product. A better analogy would be Michael Jordan enacting a rule in the NBA saying that teams with green in their jerseys automatically get 5 points added to their score when Michael Jordan has a monopoly on green thread.

I'm not on Facebook and haven't read the discussion, but I know that one subject that must be addressed on the 990 forms concerns whether any director of the organization also has a financial relationship with the organization (apart from donating). So for instance, if one of your organization's board members is also a partner in the law firm that your organization employs, that needs to be disclosed, if the amount you pay the firm is above some threshold.

Not sure that's relevant in this case.

Also, the Michael Jordan analogy is not accurate in this case, as Michael Jordan is not profiting from the competitive results of other teams that use his product relative to teams that don't use his product. A better analogy would be Michael Jordan enacting a rule in the NBA saying that teams with green in their jerseys automatically get 5 points added to their score when Michael Jordan has a monopoly on green thread.

That...doesn't make a lick of sense....

• Like 1

Geez, if "Executive Director refuses to answer questions" is a valid reason for the IRS to investigate a non-profit, (per the complaint form image on Facebook) then I could spend all day stirring up trouble with non-profits whose directors don't have me on speed dial. Which is all of them.

Good luck getting a response beyond "Thank you for submitting your complaint" to that one, Mr. Blair... :rolleyes:

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1