Why The 1970's were A Better Time For Drum Corps

I still like drum corps today but I loved drum corps when I marched...why?

We had a show every Saturday with practice Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the summer. We could do other things during the week. Today we hear, "kids today have so much more to do!" That isn't true completely. We played sports, had friends, etc. We didn't have video games though.

We competed within our area for the most part and maybe traveled 1 to 3 hours at the most to a competition. We did home and home shows (you come to our show and we will be at yours). Our tour was to Marion, OH and the Butler, PA, except on year we did the July 4th weekend in Illinois. We socialized after rehearsal, we usually went to school with several members too.

We rehearsed 2 days a week in the winter time and ever other Sunday.

Does anyone else have any positive things to say about their experience?

Keith:

I will not dispute that the kids today do amazing things, some of which are "enhanced". However, as you indicated, we still had time to do other things while marching. Additionally, it wasn't uncommon to march with kids from the neighborhood (as you indicated). The cost was negligible both monetarily and in time.

I eventually became one of those that was considered an "import", but it was far more rare than it is today. Today its more rare if you are from the "hood".

Not to mention the fact that there were several hundred corps. Not two dozen.

• Like 1

How much you traveled and how much time you practiced depended a great deal on the corps you belonged to, and the level at which you competed. In the Boston area we had a great number of corps, as well as drill teams and CYO bands that followed a schedule similar to what Keith mentioned, but there were also tiers. Corps such as 27th Lancers, Boston Crusaders, and North Star traveled most of the summer and practiced 40-50 hours per week, depending on the travel schedule. Holy Family Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, St. Francis Sancians probably practiced less than the top tier but still more than lets say Arlington Heightsmen, Jeannettes, Arabella or Burlington Citations who probably practiced more than lets say, Malden Ambassadors. Kinds I knew who marched with 27th, BAC and North Star were pretty focused on drum corps alone, kids I knew in other organizations may have had other interests. Keep in mind I graduated high school in 1981, so much of what I say applies to mid to late 70's as DCI became more competitive.

Today, just about every youth activity has changed. At DCI last year (2013) I sat next to a family who had a son/brother marching with BAC. I asked the young man sitting next to me if he planned on marching and following in his older brother's footsteps. He told me he auditioned and was accepted but did not join. He would have missed captain's practices not to mention double session for soccer if he marched. A college had already offered a partial scholarship with a potential full scholarship for soccer at a college and missing practices would have meant not playing which would have forfeited the scholarship. Other than band, his whole life was soccer. While I realize this is anecdotal, it's probably not isolated. I also do not think it is better. If you grew up in the 70's, you had a bit more freedom. Not as many opportunities, but a certain amount of freedom which formed us. It's probably not an coincidence that we have such an extended adolescence for twenty-something. They were not teenagers when they were 13-19.

I'm probably too young to sound like an old fart, but I was at a wedding yesterday and saw some people I have not seen since they were in high school. They are now in their 20's and 30's, and in some cases the same age I was at the time I first met them. They talked about jobs, mortgages, and kids, so I'm feeling like a fossil today. The plus, other than seeing two great people get married, was the dinner conversation--90% of the conversation was drum corps.

Couldn't agree less about the '70s.

Transportation was rough at all but the top couple of corps. DCI mandated that we continue to play on poorly made instruments, e.g. valve rotor DEG and Dynasty (same thing) horns. They allowed pit equipment but you had to carry it around - ludicrous.

Kids were often badly fed on tour, again by all but the top corps.

Transportation equipment broke down as much as it rolled.

The shows were fine, but think about what did it mean when Bayonne came out with that "entertainment" show in 1976 and jumped all the way to 6th. Those kids had all the heart in the world, but they were still in the launch phase of that new genre.

Kind of makes one wonder what the entertainment factor was like before that, huh? It does me.

You are more than entitled to your memories, and your evaluation of the decade. My younger brother (Brassmen 1972/1973) thinks DCI ended in 1974 (when he stopped) and nothing has been good since.

The kids today are better educated, better equipped, better conditioned, and generally better taken care of than the 70s.

It's not a coincidence that half the corps existing in 1970 were gone by 1980.

You can blame DCI or anyone (or thing) you wish, but it's a fact and it pertains to the 70s.

Disclaimer - I never marched DCI - I was in Viet Nam the year that DCI was formed and that's also the year I aged out.

But I did tour with the Bridgemen in the late 70s as half of their brass staff (another advantage these kids have - every section has a tech).

I will say this: the folks that judged in the 70s were Giants, e.g. Bernie Bags Sr.; Jim Prime Sr.; Sandra Opie; Roger Olsen; man I'm just hitting the tip of the iceberg.

The after show meetings were a master class for anyone that listened (not everyone did).

But no, I'll continue to disagree with your premise, and by a large margin.

It had to start somewhere, and I'm glad it did, but best ever?

Not even close, and yes of course, in my opinion.

• Like 5

Couldn't agree less about the '70s.

Transportation was rough at all but the top couple of corps. DCI mandated that we continue to play on poorly made instruments, e.g. valve rotor DEG and Dynasty (same thing) horns. They allowed pit equipment but you had to carry it around - ludicrous.

Kids were often badly fed on tour, again by all but the top corps.

Transportation equipment broke down as much as it rolled.

The shows were fine, but think about what did it mean when Bayonne came out with that "entertainment" show in 1976 and jumped all the way to 6th. Those kids had all the heart in the world, but they were still in the launch phase of that new genre.

Kind of makes one wonder what the entertainment factor was like before that, huh? It does me.

You are more than entitled to your memories, and your evaluation of the decade. My younger brother (Brassmen 1972/1973) thinks DCI ended in 1974 (when he stopped) and nothing has been good since.

The kids today are better educated, better equipped, better conditioned, and generally better taken care of than the 70s.

It's not a coincidence that half the corps existing in 1970 were gone by 1980.

You can blame DCI or anyone (or thing) you wish, but it's a fact and it pertains to the 70s.

Disclaimer - I never marched DCI - I was in Viet Nam the year that DCI was formed and that's also the year I aged out.

But I did tour with the Bridgemen in the late 70s as half of their brass staff (another advantage these kids have - every section has a tech).

I will say this: the folks that judged in the 70s were Giants, e.g. Bernie Bags Sr.; Jim Prime Sr.; Sandra Opie; Roger Olsen; man I'm just hitting the tip of the iceberg.

The after show meetings were a master class for anyone that listened (not everyone did).

But no, I'll continue to disagree with your premise, and by a large margin.

It had to start somewhere, and I'm glad it did, but best ever?

Not even close, and yes of course, in my opinion.

you are 1000% right

Funny , in every walk of life I think we look back in time ALWAYS with a very selective memory. I think to some degree it is normal because we want to look back at a less complicated time ( or so we thought ) compared to where we may be today . You know that Youth wasted on the young thing. Now that's a personal thing for each of us I think.

As far as how the activity is or was viewed in general , that also is personal. I have read so many posts for different areas, decades and say HMMMMMMM really? they saw it that way? Interesting.

There have been those who thought being defiant was cool, having a reputation as the corps of thugs who were noted for parking lot verbal abuse or fighting was cool BITD well that also would be personal and most other corps today wouldnt think it was very cool BUT little did they know they weren't cool BITD either. Or the actual dangers we were in BITD just going to a rehearsal or traveling on some rickety bus or eating poorly. YES some great times as I look back too BUT no comparison to todays corps ,or members.

We all tend I suppose to create our own world and choose to see it the way we want.

Edited by GUARDLING

Now remember.....I did say, "I still like drum corps today but I loved drum corps when I marched...!"

The post isn't meant to blame anyone just to reminisce. That would be another post that would take side roads to places that would just make a mess.

The 1970's (for drum corps) were the last great decade of the activity. Will you agree?

Now remember.....I did say, "I still like drum corps today but I loved drum corps when I marched...!"

The post isn't meant to blame anyone just to reminisce. That would be another post that would take side roads to places that would just make a mess.

The 1970's (for drum corps) were the last great decade of the activity. Will you agree?

No, the 70s were not the last great decade.

You are free to feel that it was.

Don't be surprised when people, including a 63 year old that started in 1960 and participated in the 70s in DCI doesn't agree.

• Like 1

I don't mind if people don't agree. It's fine in fact as we all have our own opinions and I know that.

Just so long as it doesn't get nasty LOL

I still like drum corps today but I loved drum corps when I marched...why?

We had a show every Saturday with practice Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the summer. We could do other things during the week. Today we hear, "kids today have so much more to do!" That isn't true completely. We played sports, had friends, etc. We didn't have video games though.

We competed within our area for the most part and maybe traveled 1 to 3 hours at the most to a competition. We did home and home shows (you come to our show and we will be at yours). Our tour was to Marion, OH and the Butler, PA, except on year we did the July 4th weekend in Illinois. We socialized after rehearsal, we usually went to school with several members too.

We rehearsed 2 days a week in the winter time and ever other Sunday.

Does anyone else have any positive things to say about their experience?

First off, I loved marching in the three corps I marched with starting at age 10 1/2 in 1964, ending with Garfield in 72, followed by teaching and judging in the GSC mid/late 70's.

That being said...no, I abslolutely disagree with the title of the thread. The 70's are when drum corps changed a lot...as society itself changed. I recall pushing one of our busses up a hill in Georgia on the way to Miami in 1971 to play a Dolphin/49'er ex football halftime, before going over to Dallas for VFW Nats.We would pull into a fast food area that had multiple fast food joints for our meals mushc of the time. Liabilty insurance? Not that I ever knew of.

Yes, I loved it...but if I had the opportunity to be a Cadet today...I'd do it in a minute. Or a MM of Crown, or BK, or...the members today are having an incredible experience, IMO, as are the members of the audience who get to see the incredible shows performed by amazing young people.

• Like 2