Why The 1970's were A Better Time For Drum Corps

Kids were often badly fed on tour, again by all but the top corps.

I did DCA from '79 to '84, and one of the reasons was exactly this. My Mom was appalled the one time we went by one of the top corps' rehearsals as to what was being cooked up, made her very sad.

Ask any Crossmen of this era about "Cookie Salad". Sometimes a couple of handfuls of cookies of different brands mixed together used to be their supper. Stopping at a McD's was a feast. A lot of that has been romanticized, but not when I talked to the peeps who did it at the time when we were all at WCU. All that for 750 Bucks a season, 6 times what I shelled out for Westshore and to compete hard against Ray. :laugh:

The Crossmen also used to see what SCV had for leftovers from their state of the art Amana Field kitchen. Guys would go over, their parents did what they could, I'd imagine the parents felt awful- the guys who did it, well, they were hungry. I never blamed them. Westshore knew I pretty much performed on my stomach. At least we pulled into Mickey-D's or there was food at the contest site from the sponsors that was decent. When I was hungry, I went from goofy kid to very, very goofy kid. Feed me, and I'll play all day, happily. :laugh:

As I said on my past post on the DCA thread- at least there is one constant that keeps me happy with the activity for the large part- the PEOPLE. I love hanging with vets or the ones performing today. We all share a common bond and interest, and I feel like I'm home around them young or old.

• Like 1

"Back to the Future"

I pretty well agree with what you wrote but digress ONLY to say that for "Moi" the SIXTIES were "The Bomb". We practiced and competed pretty much as you did later, and our "Tour" was to the CYO Nationals and the World Open.

I was lucky to see the HUGE changes in the activity all through the 1960's, and was lucky enough to be taught by two of THE greatest horn instructors/arrangers of that period, Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2