DCI 2014 had attendance growth from previous couple of years

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1C87ACC9-73D9-4AAE-9DBA-E26F315CE357

The paid attendance for the three-day series totals 39,076, an increase of 1,615 over 2013. This figure does not include the more than 3,000 corps and staff members who entered the stadium following the completion of their performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.

attendance numbers from 2013:

The paid attendance for the three-day series totals 37,461. This figure does not include what is estimated to be more than three thousand corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.

and 2012:

The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,494, which does not include thousands of corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.

Read the above sourced article for more details, but yea DCI! I guess MORE people turned out to 2014 Finals knowing BD would likely prevail (vs the argument of "more people came in 2013 because Crown was on the cusp of being a crowned a new DCI World Champion").

• Like 1

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1C87ACC9-73D9-4AAE-9DBA-E26F315CE357

attendance numbers from 2013:

and 2012:

Read the above sourced article for more details, but yea DCI! I guess MORE people turned out to 2014 Finals knowing BD would likely prevail (vs the argument of "more people came in 2013 because Crown was on the cusp of being a crowned a new DCI World Champion").

Also, Prelims and Semi attendance numbers were up slightly from 2013 (2013 Prelim and Semis attendance was slightly LOWER than 2012). Growth across the board = successful season!!!

• Like 1

This figure is interesting to me:

A free preview webcast of Carolina Crown’s first public performance of the summer on June 15, set a record for highest number of peak concurrent viewers for a DCI webcast event, with 8,071

I would love to know how many FN subscribers there are, how that subscription service has grown (or not) over the last couple years, etc. That's just curiosity on my part, but it seems to be the only aspect left vagueish compared to the more concrete, black/white numbers from movie theater & stadium attendance

Regardless, happy to hear things are continually improving attendance-wise for DCI! I honestly would've thought that after six years in the same city attendance would've dropped a little bit instead of risen. Good for DCI

It was a great year, and I am definitely glad I was there to see it live and in person. Now to get closer seats for finals and leave with my ears bleeding and face blown off!!!!!!!!!

Also, Prelims and Semi attendance numbers were up slightly from 2013 (2013 Prelim and Semis attendance was slightly LOWER than 2012). Growth across the board = successful season!!!

even better...showing finals online in real time didn't hurt finals attendance. I'd love to know what the final numbers were for that!

all very encouraging signs

More butts in seats, and (presumably) more Fan Network subscribers and Big/Loud/Live tickets sold at the same time. That's a win-win-win, no cannibalism of the fan base.

Which is the chicken, and which is the egg?

A. A strong lineup of entertaining, competitive, shows, from top to bottom, all across World Class.

B. Improved attendance in person, in the theater, and online.

Or is it a virtuous circle?

This is good news! I'm sad I won't be able to attend in 2015. Gotta take a year off, financially. :unhappy:

See, that's what DCI gets for:

- Artsy-fartsy shows that don't entertain the audience.

- Doing finals at indy every year, where people get bored coming back again and again and so stop coming,

- Boring, predictable competition where the same corps win every year,

- Band instruments that gut the soul of the activity.

And sure enough, you get ...

Meg_Whaaaa.jpg

WHAAAAAAT?!?!

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

The numbers = Good news.

I hope the upward trend continues in 2015!!!