DCI 2014 had attendance growth from previous couple of years

I do think, however, that analyzing local shows is a bit harder, since there are many varying factors. The DCI events were marketed and run by DCI and therefor are at least somewhat of a "control," or consistent handling of each show. I've seen some local shows run amazing, and some run awfully, and each show would likely have its own individual caveat as far as attendance figures.

No doubt. I know that YEA! was unhappy with attendance at their Jackson, NJ show, despite great weather, but were looking into whether they were cannibalizing their own audience with their show in Chester, PA. They didn't mention their Tour of Champions in Piscataway as another possibility, though I know my local high school chose to send a group there, instead of Jackson, as the previous year.

That would be the thing I would worry about: if the smaller shows decline in attendance (even ones run by bigger promoters like YEA!) as significantly as the big ones grow. Because while it may seem like a wash in the short term, it could lead to the eventual collapse of the smaller shows.

Edited by Eleran

No doubt. I know that YEA! was unhappy with attendance at their Jackson, NJ show, despite great weather, but were looking into whether they were cannibalizing their own audience with their show in Chester, PA. They didn't mention their Tour of Champions in Piscataway as another possibility, though I know my local high school chose to send a group there, instead of Jackson, as the previous year.

That would be the thing I would worry about: if the smaller shows decline in attendance (even ones run by bigger promoters like YEA!) as significantly as the big ones grow. Because while it may seem like a wash in the short term, it could lead to the eventual collapse of the smaller shows.

well also you have to factor in dates ( holiday weekends involved here) and yes geography. YEA can tend to overload an area

In today's world, ANY increase in attendance is a good thing. Although numbers can be spun in different directions, it's mostly impossible to know for sure what is accurate, and what is not. In any case, numerous accounts are out there indicating an increase for DCI (however small) is contrary to what many other paid attractions are experiencing. Pro sports team attendance has dipped, college football bowl game attendance is down, on-campus attendance some places is down, too, as student sections are emptying. Even some 'big draw' entertainment acts are playing smaller venues.

I find this DCI attendance news VERY encouraging, particularly the impressive crowd at Atlanta. I look forward to what plays out in 2015. To me, there was an obvious move by corps this year to produce shows that are more 'fan-friendly.' The satisfaction level with the product, as expressed here, was outstanding, upbeat, and can only drive more fans to attend next summer. The market potential of a 'fun night out' will always exceed the appeal of paying for bewilderment and deep symbolism. Hopefully, DCI designers will remember it's about producing a show, not surgery.

Looks to me like the numbers go up regardless of what the top corps play.

The activity promotes itself; there is no formal promotion other than to the converted.

It's a word of mouth thing pretty much entirely. People find out from their friends, are dragged to shows, watch a band teacher's video, etc. Everyone around the activity promotes it. Good thing they do... the activity wouldn't exist without it.

The numbers will probably go up next year as well for the same reason.

To better evaluate the attendance, I'd like to see figures (with year to year comparisons) for all of the shows. After all, the article cited "More than 320,000 spectators headed to more than 100 live events on the 53-day DCI Summer Tour", but failed to give an overall number for last year. A combined increase of 2,500 at Championships/Atlanta/San Antonio is good, but what if the the overall numbers across those 100+ events are down?

The last time for which I can find an overall paid attendance number is 2006, which was "estimated at more than 360,000". (That was for a 58-day season.)

I agree that with press releases what they don't say is probably more important than what they say. But in this case what they say is pretty strong evidence of improvement overall.

Likely so.

Which suggests that elements such as artsy shows, the introduction of band instruments, and perennially dominant corps are not hurting the activity after all. Maybe, just maybe, these guys know what they are doing.

If there had been no artsy shows, band instruments or perennially dominant corps prior to 2014, maybe your statement would make sense. But to evaluate the impact of these changes, we would have to look back to just before they actually took place - somewhere in the 1982-1999 range.

That is interesting, as when I attended the Jackson show in 2012 I had to either stand near the track or sit in the back stands, it was so packed (the year the show was drenched and had to be delayed a couple of hours waiting on a storm to pass through).

I guess attendance dynamics can change drastically year-by-year, esp in a small venue like Jackson Libery HS, for any or even no apparent reason.

That is interesting, as when I attended the Jackson show in 2012 I had to either stand near the track or sit in the back stands, it was so packed (the year the show was drenched and had to be delayed a couple of hours waiting on a storm to pass through).

I guess attendance dynamics can change drastically year-by-year, esp in a small venue like Jackson Libery HS, for any or even no apparent reason.

Weather was beautiful in Jackson this year, but only 2 G7 corps performed (Cadets and Bluecoats) and only 4 World class overall (Boston and Spirit of Atlanta the other two), so as far as high school band-organized trips, I can understand them choosing to skip Jackson for Piscataway a month later with the entire G7 performing.

Of course, in my own opinion, I think that sort of choice may create more fans of watching DCI, but it actually discourages marching for DCI, because instead of showing kids that DCI encompasses the whole gamut from Finalist to Semi-Finalist to Open Class, it instead reinforces the image that DCI is made up entirely of these phenomenal corps. So HS marchers may not realize that DCI actually is within their reach, if they select the appropriate level, instead of coming away thinking that they have no chance until they're 19-21.

I tend to be much more a fan of mixed shows that include all levels, with maybe 3-4 corps battling it out at each level. Which is why G7-type proposals of further consolidation at the top scare me.

Edited to correct glaring error

Edited by Eleran

Weather was beautiful in Jackson this year, but only 2 finalists performed (Cadets and Bluecoats) and only 4 World class overall (Boston and Spirit of Atlanta the other two), so as far as high school band-organized trips, I can understand them choosing to skip Jackson for Piscataway a month later with the entire G7 performing.

Of course, in my own opinion, I think that sort of choice may create more fans of watching DCI, but it actually discourages marching for DCI, because instead of showing kids that DCI encompasses the whole gamut from Finalist to Semi-Finalist to Open Class, it instead reinforces the image that DCI is made up entirely of these phenomenal corps. So HS marchers may not realize that DCI actually is within their reach, if they select the appropriate level, instead of coming away thinking that they have no chance until they're 19-21.

I tend to be much more a fan of mixed shows that include all levels, with maybe 3-4 corps battling it out at each level. Which is why G7-type proposals of further consolidation at the top scare me.

Last time I checked, Boston has been a finalist every year since 1999.

I recall YEA sending me a survey about the Jackson show. I used to attend the Jackson show for one reason. It was one of the closest shows to me at that time of the season to see the Crossmen. But, the Crossmen weren't in the show this year or last year. Without out that one reason, I skipped it because, frankly, the stadium is not very good. Also, there were only four world class corps in the 2014 show compared to five in 2013 and and six in 2012. Perhaps, the dwindling number of corps, combined with the proximity of the Chester show in a better stadium is the reason Jackson wasn't as well attended.

(I say this with no knowledge of how well attended the Chester show was)

Last time I checked, Boston has been a finalist every year since 1999.

I'm a numbskull. No doubt about it. I had meant to use the term G7, not finalist, and have since corrected it.

[And no, I don't think G7 are all that and everyone else sucks (after all, my son is trying for Boston) ... but my concern is for Tournament of Champions creating such a public rift]

Edited by Eleran