Pacific Crest and Blue Devils Team Up in SoCal Clinic/Audition

Consider the thousands of young men and women that try for a spot in Blue Devils or Blue Devils B and don't make it in, there is no downside for Pacific Crest.

Unless kids going to the camp have their heart set on BD and BD alone and don't give PC a chance...we've heard it all the time that kids go out for one of the big guys, don't make it, and then ignore the real possibility of marching elsewhere, like a good Open Class.

Unless kids going to the camp have their heart set on BD and BD alone and don't give PC a chance...we've heard it all the time that kids go out for one of the big guys, don't make it, and then ignore the real possibility of marching elsewhere, like a good Open Class.

Let's hope the presence of PC would sway some of those who might not give a "lesser" corps a shot when thinking about it in the abstract.

• Like 1

So, instead of Pacific Crest being a sovereign corps; they are now going to be a feeder corps for the Blue Devils and Blue Devils B.

Oh please....BD hardly needs to be poaching from other corps...they already get a crap ton of people auditioning every year who marched elsewhere previously. That's been the case since before I marched there.

That happens...and there are people who just want to march. Exposure to another corps, and their approach, is a good thing for the members and the activity.

So, instead of Pacific Crest being a sovereign corps; they are now going to be a feeder corps for the Blue Devils and Blue Devils B.

Glass half empty much? Let me think, they get thousands of applicants from around the world, but wait; BD needs to poach members from PC. hehehehe...RIGHT!

I don't think BD is really interested in taking PC on as a formal part of the organization, if that's what you're implying.

One of the strengths of the BD organization from Mr. Seawright through the present administration is that they never do anything without a larger view supporting the whole picture of the organization. I have never known them to be capricious, ever.

That happens...and there are people who just want to march. Exposure to another corps, and their approach, is a good thing for the members and the activity.

I agree, and as a music teacher in Southern CA I know there are always seemingly a sizable group of HS students who ONLY go to these "clinics" (they're not exclusively audition camps, and are billed as clinic experiences) for the experience, and not with the intention of marching/auditioning for PC at that time. Having BD in the clinic, and their reputation, highly acclaimed staff, etc. might bring more people out just for the experience/clinic (which in turn brings revenue to the corps). Or even maybe bring people out who ONLY had first thoughts of going for the clinic but their minds are changed to march PC. Plus, while BDB is a great Open Class corps, there is still around a 400 mile/6 hour car drive between Diamond Bar and Concord. BD putting their seeming 'stamp of approval' on PC might help sway some SoCA kids who can't make the commitment to NoCA but maybe idolize BD and decide to march PC.

• Like 1