Drum Corps Europe Finals Today

How do they compare to DCI World Class Corps ?

The live webcast appears to be feeding from here:

http://drumcorpseurope.org/live.php

I don't know if that will continue through the show or if that's pay-per-view. But anyway, it's happening.

Thank you, Pete. I was only able to catch the retreat, but from what I saw from highlights and ads...

For all the argumentation and differences of opinion that occur daily on DCP...we should all, every day, be supremely thankful for what we have here in DCI. That's not in any way a put-down of DCE...just an observation as I, one individual, see it. (sorry for the emphasis...just didn't want any misinterpretation of what I was saying.)

Edited by HornTeacher

World Class is the major leagues; Open Class is AAA; and DCE is AA.

Yup. At most.

However, if nothing else, I feel that I'm a fair individual. Soooooo.....

Different country (countries)...different cultures...different educational training opportunities...most probably different funding/support opportunities...and some of those DCE individuals definitely weren't 21 or younger, so different life responsibilities. In all...differences in abilities and subsequent performances, however small or wide, shouldn't be unexpected. The important thing is that they are doing it in Europe as well...and those members are both benefiting...and as a result, "winning." No different than ours, in the end. We think that Drum and Bugle Corps is a "niche" activity here?? I can't even begin to think of its' sociological standing over there. And to me, in the end, that's a HUGE consideration when comparing DCI and DCE (as Pete asked in his original post).

Edited by HornTeacher

For the most part all athletic/artistic "groups" no matter what level they are at, work hard. But, I'm at the stage of my life, where I would rather spend the bucks to take in the BSO (when still living in Metro Boston) than the community orchestra. Living in SW UT is tough in the live entertainment department, unless you want to do some driving.

It's all about the historical trends. This activity is new there, but there were 62 corps in DCI last I checked. I predict the top corps will continue to improve, and in 10 years or so may be a threat, so to speak. The have the energy and the passion. Once the music majors discover how much better it is than doing scales all summer in their bedrooms, things will get really interesting.

It's all about the historical trends. This activity is new there, but there were 62 corps in DCI last I checked. I predict the top corps will continue to improve, and in 10 years or so may be a threat, so to speak. The have the energy and the passion. Once the music majors discover how much better it is than doing scales all summer in their bedrooms, things will get really interesting.

And DCE needs to have finals in early August before the Barclays Premier League begins!

Yup. At most.

However, if nothing else, I feel that I'm a fair individual. Soooooo.....

Different country (countries)...different cultures...different educational training opportunities...most probably different funding/support opportunities...and some of those DCE individuals definitely weren't 21 or younger, so different life responsibilities. In all...differences in abilities and subsequent performances, however small or wide, shouldn't be unexpected. The important thing is that they are doing it in Europe as well...and those members are both benefiting...and as a result, "winning." No different than ours, in the end. We think that Drum and Bugle Corps is a "niche" activity here?? I can't even begin to think of its' sociological standing over there. And to me, in the end, that's a HUGE consideration when comparing DCI and DCE (as Pete asked in his original post).

Can't speak for the rest of Europe, but drawing comparisons to what a modern day DCI corps can do and what happens in England is a bit like comparing a European sports car to an American muscle car.

The activity is fundamentally different in the way it is conceived, funded and where it draws its members and support from. We do not have 'music majors' and high school marching bands to support the activity. These are pretty much people enjoying a pastime in there local areas and will never be able to compete at the same level as DCI. They are in many respects more akin to DCA type corps and as the Kidsgrove Scouts have done in the recent past, able to compete at a similar level.

There will inevitably be cultural and sociological factors that feed into what the youth of individual countries and continents undertake as an activity and irrespective of the outcome and performance level it should be respected and encouraged.

I take the point of Horn Teacher as made above and am not critiscising what was said. I am just trying to reinforce the fact that DCE is not or never will be DCI.

Drum Corps United Kingdom actually had their first season in 1980. In the mid eighties there were anything up to 40 corps in the UK alone and a large number in Holland also. Many corps had 80 or more members and some had over a hundred. DCUK Prelims and Finals was a massive all day affair and the activity was truly thriving. There are some old videos on YouTube that could prove interesting from those days and into the 1990s, for those wanting to see more.

Most of those corps evolved from traditional British style marching bands or Boys' Brigade and Scout organisations, including my own. As freakyswotboy said, there was no tradition of high school bands at all in Britain but there were several corps "hotbeds" where we all clamoured for the latest news, videos and albums.

I am disappointed at the size of the activity here nowadays but am now back involved in a mini-corps myself and while the joints may struggle, the enthusiasm does not, and that seemed to apply to many in Kerkrade last night. I applaud the efforts of all involved.

Edited by Scottishfan
  • Like 1