Drum Corps Europe Finals Today

It's all about the historical trends. This activity is new there, but there were 62 corps in DCI last I checked. I predict the top corps will continue to improve, and in 10 years or so may be a threat, so to speak. The have the energy and the passion. Once the music majors discover how much better it is than doing scales all summer in their bedrooms, things will get really interesting.

1,000 huge grins on that one, Pete. :colgate:

But...pssst...(whispered aside)...scales aren't the only thing music majors are doing in their bedrooms all summer....not speaking for ALL music majors, mind you...

Edited by HornTeacher

Can't speak for the rest of Europe, but drawing comparisons to what a modern day DCI corps can do and what happens in England is a bit like comparing a European sports car to an American muscle car.

The activity is fundamentally different in the way it is conceived, funded and where it draws its members and support from. We do not have 'music majors' and high school marching bands to support the activity. These are pretty much people enjoying a pastime in there local areas and will never be able to compete at the same level as DCI. They are in many respects more akin to DCA type corps and as the Kidsgrove Scouts have done in the recent past, able to compete at a similar level.

There will inevitably be cultural and sociological factors that feed into what the youth of individual countries and continents undertake as an activity and irrespective of the outcome and performance level it should be respected and encouraged.

I take the point of Horn Teacher as made above and am not critiscising what was said. I am just trying to reinforce the fact that DCE is not or never will be DCI.

Thank you for responding, freakyswotboy. Your point was exactly what I was trying to say. I'm just really stoked (excited) that your kids are getting the same great opportunities that our's are. Vive la difference!!

Drum Corps United Kingdom actually had their first season in 1980. In the mid eighties there were anything up to 40 corps in the UK alone and a large number in Holland also. Many corps had 80 or more members and some had over a hundred. DCUK Prelims and Finals was a massive all day affair and the activity was truly thriving. There are some old videos on YouTube that could prove interesting from those days and into the 1990s, for those wanting to see more.

Most of those corps evolved from traditional British style marching bands or Boys' Brigade and Scout organisations, including my own. As freakyswotboy said, there was no tradition of high school bands at all in Britain but there were several corps "hotbeds" where we all clamoured for the latest news, videos and albums.

I am disappointed at the size of the activity here nowadays but am now back involved in a mini-corps myself and while the joints may struggle, the enthusiasm does not, and that seemed to apply to many in Kerkrade last night. I applaud the efforts of all involved.

It would be great for you to provide a couple of links from the past, especially UK corps so they we can find them. The only European corps I remember from back then was Beatrix coming to the USA. They were decent.

Edited by jjeffeory

I saw Kidsgrove Scouts two years ago at DCA Finals. Their show, which scored 90.75 and placed seventh, just behind Empire Statesmen, had an Egyptian theme and was highly entertaining. They have announced plans to return to the U.S. for DCA in 2015, so if your Labor Day weekend is free next year, plan a trip to Rochester! (Or at least order the DCA Finals webcast.)

I saw Kidsgrove Scouts two years ago at DCA Finals. Their show, which scored 90.75 and placed seventh, just behind Empire Statesmen, had an Egyptian theme and was highly entertaining. They have announced plans to return to the U.S. for DCA in 2015, so if your Labor Day weekend is free next year, plan a trip to Rochester! (Or at least order the DCA Finals webcast.)

I saw them in Annapolis too. They were excellent and VERY entertaining!

Drum Corps United Kingdom actually had their first season in 1980. In the mid eighties there were anything up to 40 corps in the UK alone and a large number in Holland also. Many corps had 80 or more members and some had over a hundred. DCUK Prelims and Finals was a massive all day affair and the activity was truly thriving. There are some old videos on YouTube that could prove interesting from those days and into the 1990s, for those wanting to see more.

Most of those corps evolved from traditional British style marching bands or Boys' Brigade and Scout organisations, including my own. As freakyswotboy said, there was no tradition of high school bands at all in Britain but there were several corps "hotbeds" where we all clamoured for the latest news, videos and albums.

I am disappointed at the size of the activity here nowadays but am now back involved in a mini-corps myself and while the joints may struggle, the enthusiasm does not, and that seemed to apply to many in Kerkrade last night. I applaud the efforts of all involved.

Scottishfan, if Scotland had gained independence in the recent referendum, would the corps in Scotland have had to form their own organisation as a splinter group :tounge2:

Ah they eighties and that transition from Drum and Trumpet Corps to Drum and Bugle Corps, what a great time!

It would be great for you to provide a couple of links from the past, especially UK corps so they we can find them. The only European corps I remember from back then was Beatrix coming to the USA. They were decent.

Scottishfan, if Scotland had gained independence in the recent referendum, would the corps in Scotland have had to form their own organisation as a splinter group :tounge2:

Ah they eighties and that transition from Drum and Trumpet Corps to Drum and Bugle Corps, what a great time!

Unfortunately there are no drum and bugle corps in Scotland anymore. I am, however, a member of the Blue Barons minicorps and we are looking to display our wares early next year.

As for links, I am not that great on the tech side of things I suggest videos uploaded by TheP01nt for a selection of corps and bands and jaguar4200 for my corps in the eighties.

The best option might be on the DailyMotion video site, where karel-willem jaarsveld has a great selection of videos from the eighties and beyond.

If you go into any of their videos, then a plethora of other vids will be suggested. Remember that drum corps was always a weekend activity and the average age of most corps was in the mid teens.

Fill yer boots and enjoy.

Edited by Scottishfan
  • Like 1

Unfortunately there are no drum and bugle corps in Scotland anymore. I am, however, a member of the Blue Barons minicorps and we are looking to display our wares early next year.

As for links, I am not that great on the tech side of things I suggest videos uploaded by TheP01nt for a selection of corps and bands and jaguar4200 for my corps in the eighties.

The best option might be on the DailyMotion video site, where karel-willem jaarsveld has a great selection of videos from the eighties and beyond.

If you go into any of their videos, then a plethora of other vids will be suggested. Remember that drum corps was always a weekend activity and the average age of most corps was in the mid teens.

Fill yer boots and enjoy.

Thanks! Works for me. I had to go into the DailyMotion UK side first to find that user, but once I did that I found good stuff, mate!

Edited by jjeffeory

Can't speak for the rest of Europe, but drawing comparisons to what a modern day DCI corps can do and what happens in England is a bit like comparing a European sports car to an American muscle car.

The activity is fundamentally different in the way it is conceived, funded and where it draws its members and support from. We do not have 'music majors' and high school marching bands to support the activity. These are pretty much people enjoying a pastime in there local areas and will never be able to compete at the same level as DCI. They are in many respects more akin to DCA type corps and as the Kidsgrove Scouts have done in the recent past, able to compete at a similar level.

There will inevitably be cultural and sociological factors that feed into what the youth of individual countries and continents undertake as an activity and irrespective of the outcome and performance level it should be respected and encouraged.

I take the point of Horn Teacher as made above and am not critiscising what was said. I am just trying to reinforce the fact that DCE is not or never will be DCI.

We have both DCA and DCI, which serve different needs. So if DCE is more like DCA, that's fine, but it doesn't prove that a DCI model wouldn't work as well.

Basically you have two kinds of people who do drum corps; working stiffs and students. The "Working Stiff League" is a part-time and weekend activity, and can do a lot of things year-round. On the other hand, the student league kids can actually move to the corps for the entire summer break, and train all day, every day, all summer long. I'm wondering why people think that model wouldn't work in Europe, not why it's different from DCE. See what I mean?

I do realize that high school summer vacations are different lengths in different places, but I believe colleges are more consistently 2-3 months as here. And as many professional musicians have pointed out, the DCI-style experience is a great option for the serious performing arts student.