BlueStars 2015 "Side Show"

brians

In the hands of most, this is a stock PSA/PSO indoor drumline concept. See it every year. But they have a savvy design team. Looking forward to it.

Please let there be bearded ladies and midgets.

We do know that a theme like Side Show will mean some crazy cool visuals from the Blue Stars.

The Broadway Musical Side Show is being revived on Broadway this fall...currently at the Kennedy Center...

95256.jpg

As long as it doesn't become too cluttered. The kitchen sink technique didn't exactly work for Crown this season.

I never did a count, but it seems like Blue Devils and Bluecoats had as much or more on the field as Crown.

Will Sideshow Bob be involved?

Let's hope. I was in total agreement with the recent list of great Simpsons episodes that put "Cape Feare" at number one.

Please let there be bearded ladies and midgets.

We do know that a theme like Side Show will mean some crazy cool visuals from the Blue Stars.

just see Pulse 2014 to know where some ideas could come from.

I am in favor of midgets

I'm sure there are going to props, props, and more props!

hey any corps that can use bubble wrap properly is ok in my book!

I sure hope they use more props next year. Cluttering the field more than the next corps seems like a recipe for success.

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 2

I never did a count, but it seems like Blue Devils and Bluecoats had as much or more on the field as Crown.

Except that BD and Coats made them moveable, and were able to incorporate them repeatedly throughout the show, often in different manners.

Crown had ~21 white circles on the field (14 of which contained percussion equipment), 4 trampolines, and the muffler area - none of which moved throughout the show, meaning drill was restricted throughout the entire show by their initial placement. And most of which were only used for a a relatively small part of the show.

Bluecoats had 18 ramps, which were constantly being moved (so if they restricted drill in one manner for a set they would be opened up to allow varying drill in the next set, etc.), and they were incorporated throughout the entire show.

Blue Devils had the most actual props, but the biggest visual element was the 10 individual platforms which were continually combined and recombined into varying shapes that were incorporated into the specific moments of the show, often appearing as a single visual element (the long runway, the square stage, etc.). For the last third of the show, they brought out ~19 chairs, which they also incorporated in different ways. In addition, they had two high platforms, 4 ladders and 4 scrims, which I don't feel they used very well after the initial tableau. And they also had several fake lights and cameras, which they moved around and used repeatedly.

I think the take away from this is don't throw too much crap on the field that isn't an integral part of the show, and it better be for a substantial part, or better yet reused in different and relevant ways.

Edited by Eleran

I sure hope they use more props next year. Cluttering the field more than the next corps seems like a recipe for success.

When used correctly, it certainly is! ;-)

• Like 1