2015 Programs and Playlist:

A fair amount of the music has been used by Regiment as I'm sure you know, and other corps, maybe that was what they meant. I wouldn't call it a rehash show though. I'm positive the music and theme won't be anything similar to when the music has been used before.

I'm excited about this show.

Well yes. It's hard to be a corps with classical tendencies like Regiment and not end up playing a piece that another corps or they themselves have done sometime in the past 30 years. And I agree, this theme seems unlike anything else Regiment had done. Reminds me more of On Air and Into the Light more than anything.

Well yes. It's hard to be a corps with classical tendencies like Regiment and not end up playing a piece that another corps or they themselves have done sometime in the past 30 years. And I agree, this theme seems unlike anything else Regiment had done. Reminds me more of On Air and Into the Light more than anything.

Which is fine with me! Loved On Air and Into the Light!

• Like 1

Phantom Regiment 2015

City of Light - musical selections include:

- I Love Paris, by Cole Porter

- Horoscope, by Constant Lambert

- Claire de Lune, by Claude Debussy

- Piano Concerto in C# minor, by Francis Poulenc

- An American in Paris, by George Gershwin

- Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony), by Camille Saint-Saens

The Lambert and Poulenc pieces have not been played by drum corps before, according to CorpsReps.

The Porter song was last played 50 years ago.

The Debussy and especially the Gershwin selections are perhaps overplayed in drum corps. They are also masterpieces, which can stand revisiting if they are handled well, as they have been before by Phantom.

The Saint-Saens symphony has been played three times in the past 25 years. The orchestral version runs more than a half-hour, so there's more than enough material for Regiment to shape into something completely different from what's been done before.

As for the theme, what first comes to mind is that Bellbrook H.S. had a pretty little show last fall called "Paris Sketches". A bit restrained for my tastes--I think there were about 30 other Ohio bands whose shows I preferred--but quite well done in its way and second in their class at BoA Grand Nationals. A lot can be done with Paris, that's for sure. Maybe, taking a cue from BD's Fellini show, Regiment will use Godard as their model? 2 ou 3 choses que je sais d’elle, perhaps?

• Like 1

We won't find out what their show theme is until at least next Saturday, but The Academy is apparently using cube props this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153278067479579

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

We won't find out what their show theme is until at least next Saturday, but The Academy is apparently using cube props this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153278067479579

In his webinar, Cadets' CEO made mention of 3 ft. high props on field. I envision the Academic use to be similar perhaps.

Sacramento Freelancers and others have previously used similar. I find Academy's attempt easier to take than the furniture used by Ventures and BD over the years.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Yes, for so many of us who have been around the activity for so long, so many of the shows are derivative.

But for these kids it's their first time.

That's why anticipating the announcement of the remaining shows under wraps becomes a hopeful speculation.

Edited by xandandl