Season 23: Off-Season Rules Proposals

Galen

This is the thread for posting and discussing rules proposals.

Rules proposals must be submitted in the following format:

Name/Corps represented:

Proposal name:

Proposal description/purpose:

Discussion and questions for directors submitting proposals are encouraged, but remember to keep all discussion civil.

Name/Corps represented: The Knight Org

Proposal name:Class A GE Caps

Proposal description/purpose:

This is an old proposal, but deserves another look and was very close last time (disclosure i did change the penalty amount as I feel the previous amount wouldnt really deter a director from breaking the rule). Class A corps may not select any GE captions valued higher than 20 points. Directors that select GE captions valued higher than 20 points will be assessed a 0.5 penalty for each point they are over, for each show they are in violation of this rule.

Rationale: This proposal, if passed, would put the focus in Class A on performance, rather than effect and design. It would give Class A directors more flexibility in picking their captions instead of just using the best GE corps and loading up on cheapest possible options for everything else. Puts the proportion of caption points between GE captions and other captions more in line with Open Class corps. Since it would be too difficult to script this change, the penalty would put directors "on their honor" as well as negate any potential advantage gained by going over the limit. Directors who exceed this would be notified via PM/email and instructed to change their captions or face a penalty of .5 for each point in excess of the limit they use.

Name/Corps represented:CLASS Corps

Proposal name: CLASS and Fanfare Finals

Proposal description/purpose:this is more of a scheduling item, however going forward CLASS and FANFARE as two major DCPI events would have to be scheduled on a weekend and not on the same day. As the two major competitive bodies of DCPI, CLASS and FANFARE Championship both pull in a large crowd and are very competitve. For the benefit of both organizations and DCPI, the events should be weekend events later in the season and while they could be the same weekend, they can not be the same day. The venue shall be determined by each organization prior to schedules being completed.

Edited by gcurrier

Name/Corps represented: Knight Org

Proposal name: Masters of DCPI

Proposal description/purpose:There should be a creation of a Masters event that requires all corps attending to be a previous world champion in their perspective division. This helps reward those corps who have fought hard to win a world title and become part of the elite to go head to head. It would also challenge others even further to achive a world title to become part fo the elite.

My quick thoughts:

#1: I foresee this having to be manually entered if it passes. I will pass this on to John to see if it's something we can do. I'd clarify the "per show" portion of the penalty to clarify whether it's a 0.5 penalty at each show or if that penalty grows over time (ie 0.5, 1.0, etc.). I'm not opposed to the concept but that's one thing the point increase for last season was intended to address.

#2: I like it, but I'd change "should" in the last sentence to "shall" to put the impetus on the directors of those orgs to communicate date and venue preferences. The way I foresee this going is having either the 5th or 6th week of the season (or the 1st or 2nd week after regionals if they fall during the 3rd week of the season) be "CLASS/Fanfare Week", with one organization's championships at the beginning (maybe on a Sunday), the Masters event you proposed in the middle and the other organization's championships at the end of the week.

#3: No problems with this one.

Name/Corps represented: Exec. Director

Proposal name: Point value codification

Proposal description/purpose: Last season, I increased the starting caption limits for each division to 150/120/90 in an effort to help scores rise and to aid the lower divisions. By passing this proposal, those values would be retained as the official starting limits going forward.

Name/Corps represented:

Proposal name: Off-season "All-In" prelims

Proposal description/purpose: This would only affect off-seasons. Since off-season turnout tends to be lower than live season turnout (hint hint...), in an off-season where there are 50 or fewer total corps registered, Open Class and Class A events would be held earlier during Finals Week, and the Thursday show normally designated as World Class Prelims would be open for all corps to participate in regardless of division, ala how DCI currently does it.

Finals week would look like this:

Sunday/Monday: Off days for corps travel/rehearsal (or possible competitions)

Tuesday: Open/Class A prelims.

Wednesday: Open/Class A finals (# of corps advancing to finals depends on registration); Open Class and Class A champions crowned at this event.

Thursday: Prelims- all corps eligible to participate regardless of division; top 30 placing corps (regardless of division) advance to Semis (may vary based on registration numbers, but the number would be roughly 60-67% of the field advancing; the Executive Director shall determine the exact number based on registration).

Friday: Semis- Top 30ish corps that advanced from Prelims. Top 12 placing corps advance to finals.

Saturday: Finals- business as usual.

This rule shall not take effect in the event that more than 50 corps register for an off-season (hint hint...). This rule shall not take effect during live seasons.

To be honest, something needs to be done to make the off-season more interesting and/or get more participation. I've actually had thoughts about not even offering an off-season this year based on the diminishing attendance from the last couple years but I'm not ready to cut it off just yet- but participation DOES need to increase for it to continue to be of value. This rule is meant to help address that.

#1 I think the .5 for every point they are over for each show they are in violation is good. That would mean if you picked a corps worth 25 pts for GE youd be gettting 2.5 penalty. Might still be worth it to break the rule, but more of deterint. Perhaps we find out we can just change GE to not allow for any caption choices over 20 points for Class A and then the penalty issue wouldnt matter, it wouldnt be an option correct?

#2 we have consulted with our attorney and are good with your proposed change and love the idea you have as to how you envision it!

#3 YEAH!!!

#4 agree

#5 LOVE IT! (and I am trying to recruit some)

Nominations are now closed. Voting will begin tomorrow morning.

did i miss where we vote on these?