Rehease on concrete?

Both of the DCA corps I marched with we generally set drill on concrete and once drill was set we quickly moved to grass because its a known fact that grass is easier on the ankles and knees.

• Like 1

Back in the day (ahem) we regularly rehearsed on concrete. One of the parking lots we used was located in front of a close-down strip mall. It had several potholes that one of our members fell into and twisted an ankle during a blind backup. The rest of the season we were singing of a popular Police song at the time "I hope my leg don't break - marching on the moon" by way of tribute.

rehearsed on it a lot....it was available, grass wasn't

rehearsed on it a lot....it was available, grass wasn't

Same here.

Many an evening/day spent doing drill in a parking lot at Hofstra University on Long Island!!!

• Like 2

Or... at the infamous hangars at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY.

Where it was always chilly.

We would leave NJ on a mild spring day for rehearsal there... with our winter coats, hats, gloves, etc. LOL

• Like 1

Every regular field I practiced at was a parking lot.... so I'm an asphalt a-hole. And had to get a toe joint replaced about 12 years back, asphalt + high mark time = oh crap....

High School - between the back of the school and bus garage. When the rest of the lot filled up they started parking where we were so practice over.

College - back parking lot that was declaired band only M-W-F for two hours. No idea what the penalty was but can only think of two cars parked there during my one year.

Westshoremen - What else... City Island which was/still is parking for the city employees. Small parking garage there now which didn't add to the parking much IMO. Only place that did not have a field lined off. We used the line of one of the rows as back field and after that you could NOT look at the rest of the lines as they were diagonal all over the place.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

With the NY Skyliners we used to go to Giants Stadium on Friday nights and use one of the lots. Several times the Raiders (DCI) were in an adjoining lot. We also did a round in Mount Pocono and used the high school band lot.

• Like 1

One of the most famous blacktop rehearsal spots in NYC were the parking lots at Randall's Island ... just off the exit of the Triboro (RFK) bridge that connects the Bronx with Queens and Manhattan ... on any given Friday night, there would be up to five corps rehearsing at various times ... corps like St. Rita's, Minisink, NY Lancers, Knickerbockers, Wanderers and, of course, the Skyliners ... I think even Sun and St. Ignatius showed up a few times ... all the other corps would "do their thing" and then Sky would take "the field" around 11:00 pm or so for their drill run-throughs ... the other corps would break out their lawn chairs, Styrofoam coolers (which were purchased new each weekend), blankets, whatever and we had a built in audience ... it was great and very festive ... the hotdog vendor there retired and moved back to Puerto Rico a rich man! ... we would rehearse until about 2:00 am ... trek over to Johnson's Bar in Union City ... board the bus to wherever we were going at dawn ... and off we went to the next show ... it was a wonderful atmosphere, a wonderful life and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat ... maybe Fallon will chime in about the time Bucky's car got "borrowed" one night (piece of sh|t that it was) ... visitors from Rikers and Wards Island were regular ... special times ... wild ... but harmless ... musta a been a NY ting ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

visitors from Rikers and Wards Island were regular ... special times ... wild ... but harmless ... musta a been a NY ting ...

:-)

Only know of Rikers Island from "mentions" on Law & Order *thunk... thunk"

Only "interesting" visitors we had on City Island was the year before the cops shut down the "green smoke" parties on the other side of the bridge overpass. Once in a while someone would be standing there with a real vacant look on their face. We'd just point to the tunnel and tell 'em "Think you want THAT side.." wink wink, nudge, nudge, say no more <$1 to Monty Python>

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2