Judge Tapes

Waaay back around 1977, a Garden State Circuit corps I taught went to the World Open Prelims, and on one of our sheets the phrase "See Tape" was scrawlded. Now..not to mention the word "see" over "hear", but...

When we listened to the tape, the judge turned it on as the corps was just starting to march on the field...he left it going...said his name at some point...never turned it off....the corps started...no comments at the beginning of the show...first number ended...still no comments...second number...ditto...all the way through. Not a single comment on the entire tape! I'm not sure if he turned it off, or if it ran out of tape!

We could have used it for the guard to practice with! :tounge2:

Well he did say SEE tape. Are you sure there wasn't anything written ON the tape itself? :tounge2:

• Like 2

Used to be some of the judge's tapes on the Finals DVDs (typically a color guard one and a percussion one, though 2002 featured GE Music & Visual instead) ...I learned a lot from listening to those. I miss them. Sigh...

And this is also assuming that all tapes are productive and worthwhile. They're not. Multiple tapes this season either didn't come through at all, or cut off halfway through, or were just a complete joke with no information on them. I wish they were all full of info and worthy of being posted somewhere, but it's not reality.

I loved that a couple of Prosperie's finals tapes leaked last year. The Cadets tape in particular is awesome to listen to. I think my favorite quote is him screaming "THOSE WERE THE BEST RIMSHOTS EVER!" in the closer.

• Like 1

And this is also assuming that all tapes are productive and worthwhile. They're not. Multiple tapes this season either didn't come through at all, or cut off halfway through, or were just a complete joke with no information on them. I wish they were all full of info and worthy of being posted somewhere, but it's not reality.

There are also those judges who are trying to be profound and show off their education instead of giving statements that can be understood.

The guy doing field percussion for 87 SCV in their opener was great...clearly understood comments, even by a horn guy like me.

Contrast that with someone else on a (I think) Cavies tape from a later year, and you can't figure out a #### thing he's trying to say.

• Like 1

Don't agree. And before anyone pipes in, I'm not saying I agree with the releasing of the judges tapes, but I do not agree with the above.

We had more than one excellent analysis and subsequent discussions on the corps 990s (Thank you Garfield!). These organizations are non-profit. There are multiple donations given to them by the public. Their general financial situation is available for all to see and as shown on this forum, to be discussed. Who pays the staff. The corps. Where does the corps get their money?

At what point does the organization not become "non-profit?" To save the criticism of the hiring and instructional capabilities of their staff?

DCI is also non-profit and funded by numerous donations. Who pays the judges? DCI.

Just wanted to make sure Lincoln's post actually gets noticed as it does give some pretty interesting insight and an opposing view to most of the opinions on the topic of releasing tapes.

Just wanted to make sure Lincoln's post actually gets noticed as it does give some pretty interesting insight and an opposing view to most of the opinions on the topic of releasing tapes.

Yes but I think what they are saying is qualifications of a person or a job review of overall performance of a judge is one thing BUT to expose the actual" private " assessment of a client " ( a corps ) is something entirely different.

As others have said IF a corps chooses to expose their evaluation for whatever reason, no problem but other than that I personally think it borders if not crosses a line .

I know ( without opening a can of worms ) we live in a world today of entitlement but how much does one expect for a price of a ticket...lol

Always interesting that the tapes that are leaked, especially by the corps themselves are glowing accounts of what is happening.

It'd be nice to hear more tapes with the good and bad side of performances.

• Like 1