Judge Tapes

Good point: I suspect early July judges tapes would be REALLY fascinating! Of course, those are probably the tapes least likely to be released into the wild (if they even survived the duration of the summer).

I might be wrong, but I think 2009 was also the year that they had the Program Coordinators/Designers do the commentary during that one Fan Network broadcast. Everyone watching seemed to really enjoy the opportunity to hear them (myself included), but the event was never repeated.

I might be wrong, but I think 2009 was also the year that they had the Program Coordinators/Designers do the commentary during that one Fan Network broadcast. Everyone watching seemed to really enjoy the opportunity to hear them (myself included), but the event was never repeated.

that was awesome... one of the feeds from the Denver show (I think) had a program designer in the box providing commentary.

Not sure if it was 2009, but I know it was the year Bluecoats took off their jackets and had those cloud shirts or whatever.

Edited by soccerguy315

Oh, I agree. As a fan, educator, and judge myself I always like listening to tapes for the analytical benefit as well as educational. I also agree that if fans heard GE tapes they'd possibly have a better understanding for applying the sheets to the design & performance.

I also get why DCI and its member corps might not put releasing judge tapes as a priority. I wonder if there was any feedback from anyone when the DVDs used to include judge tapes for the Top 5 (or 6?) that caused DCI to move to stop including the tapes. Maybe judges didn't like putting their tapes out there for everyone to critique, or maybe Directors didn't want to expose their members to even more public scrutiny. Maybe something more sinister; or maybe something as benign as "we didn't care to put the time/effort into adding the extra audio because it doesn't seem to matter as far as sales." I know I've certainly made some not great tapes, or even tapes that directors/staffers disagreed with (though I stood by). I could get that DCI would view it as an extra, unnecessary hassle, though I watched some shows with the judge or designer commentary more than the straight corps music performance because the commentary for more fascinating to me than the actual show!

they stopped putting the stuff on the dvd due to space needed.

Pretty sure you're right. I remember hearing Scott Chandler talk about stuff in that 1930 show and being a little blown away with the crazy subtle nuances and references in that show. I really dug that feature, and I've been a little disappointed every year that it hasn't been redone. I get the difficulty of coordinating that, but I think designer commentary, more than any other, can help bring more fans appreciating or even liking a show if we could get in designers' heads (shudder) and learn some insight about show design

they stopped putting the stuff on the dvd due to space needed.

That makes sense. I'd like to think that they max out space with the plethora of high def. quality on the Blu-rays. I don't know if that's true, but I guess I'm willing to buy that.

I still think it would be not-that-difficult to put that stuff onto Fan Network, but I know that's likely not going to happen

that was awesome... one of the feeds from the Denver show (I think) had a program designer in the box providing commentary.

Not sure if it was 2009, but I know it was the year Bluecoats took off their jackets and had those cloud shirts or whatever.

Yep: that's 09.

I vaguely remember BK having some fairly scathing commentary from, maybe, Mark Sylvester that was humorous to listen to at times

That makes sense. I'd like to think that they max out space with the plethora of high def. quality on the Blu-rays. I don't know if that's true, but I guess I'm willing to buy that.

I still think it would be not-that-difficult to put that stuff onto Fan Network, but I know that's likely not going to happen

i believe they were pretty public about it actually