Regiment '15

Kudos to Phantom Regiment for actively making it easier for interested parties to audition and participate in the 2015 season.

More corps should be this pro-active and realistic for today's economy and demands on potential DCI membership.

Southwest is having a sale that ends today. For those coming to auditions or winter camps - here's the sale list for Chicago.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promotions/nationwide-sale-141014.html?clk=HOMEHEROWOWASP141014

Several seasons back, the Cadets sent their busses throughout the northeast and mid-atlantic to bring members to camps so to cut expenses.

I know Troopers ferry their members from Denver's larger (and sometimes less expensive) airport to Wyoming rehearsals. Problems sometimes result with the wicked weather changes along front range to and through Loveland, Ft. Collins and north.

And of course, The (name your state, but not Oregon) Crusaders become snow birds for the off season and have some of their rehearsals in Florida.

Of course, many corps have annexed Texas and Georgia for auditions so that members don't have to fly to Rosemont, Concord, San Jose, and Canton for instance.

Ah yes, the times, they are a- changing.

P.S. Didn't mean to omit Blue Stars and Scouts for having their winter home as Hoosiers before heading back as Cheddar-headers for the summer.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

I see that Phantom's going with an all-female guard again (at least that's what it says in the audition info on their website).

I was hoping they might go back to having guys in the guard again.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

I see that Phantom's going with an all-female guard again (at least that's what it says in the audition info on their website).

I was hoping they might go back to having guys in the guard again.

I'm glad they're sticking with the Phantomettes. It's a part of their identity now, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Each corps seeks its own unique identity with which they can both be competitively successful, business competent, and marketable to the audience and fan base.

Phantom is smart to be an all-girl guard in this regard:

Cavaliers and Madison, their near corporate neighbors (in a world of international membership) have all guy guards. Next nearest neighbors, Blue Stars and Colts have mixed guards but these two corps have not been as competitively successful consistently over the decades.

So Phantomettes stand out as unique, special, and most seasons the corps is very competitive.

If every corps/guard were identical in make-up, it would not be as entertaining or intriguing IMHO.

Edited by xandandl

I recopy this conversation from the Staff merry go round thread as it seems germain here as well. Thank you Chaos.

kdaddy, on 22 Oct 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Several of Regiment's guard staff that helped the guard rebound from 09-10 have joined the Madison Scouts with KC Michel and David Veda, including KC Perkins, Michael James, and Robbie Billings (the latter two of whom were on Regiment's staff in 2014). I suspect the loss of James is big (assuming he won't be with Regiment in 2015).

said Chaos in response:
Kinda sad to see Michael James go. He's been there since '05 through ups and downs. Truly great person, designer, and instructor. Big loss imo.

• Like 1

I'm mostly just hoping they get their show design game together for once, especially in brass arranging. Whoever is arranging for them now is not very good at all and really doesn't do Phantom's brass justice.

• Like 4

I'm mostly just hoping they get their show design game together for once, especially in brass arranging. Whoever is arranging for them now is not very good at all and really doesn't do Phantom's brass justice.

It's Don Hill, and I agree.

Even though I think Don is a great writer. I wonder if he, like in visual design last year, has been tied down to producing the "concept."

• Like 2