Bluecoats Hymn of Acxiom

Yes, this. This whole show was an example of artful use of electronics as an enhancement IMO, up to and including the perfectly placed pitch bend, which technically was likely nothing more than the manipulation of a wheel but musically and theatrically - was STUNNING.

'Coats have had the BEST use of amplification and electronics since they were approved...no one else comes close...not overbearing at all (looking at YOU, Cadets)

Another point about Bluecoats and "Hymn" is the music presented what sounded like a full composition and represented the source music well. There was a beginning, a middle, and an end to the song. No choppiness to it at all. Just plain beautiful.

Probably one of the most true-to-the-original pieces we've heard from ANYONE in a loooong time. There were some relatively minor changes for impact (the mello hold going into the loud hit -- "Now we possess you" in the original lyrics), as well as the hold at the end of that sequence, but they elected to not mess with the sublime original.

That will be a classic for the ages.

• Like 4

Bluecoats' musical choices and arrangements are uniquely dark while still being exciting and even uplifting. High energy, accessible dissonance and odd chord progressions. Really great stuff.

I think they may be a good intro for those used to pop/country/hip-hop/etc. to music that is outside their comfort zone.

'Coats have had the BEST use of amplification and electronics since they were approved...no one else comes close...not overbearing at all (looking at YOU, Cadets)

Probably one of the most true-to-the-original pieces we've heard from ANYONE in a loooong time. There were some relatively minor changes for impact (the mello hold going into the loud hit -- "Now we possess you" in the original lyrics), as well as the hold at the end of that sequence, but they elected to not mess with the sublime original.

Agreed about that ballad for sure...it stood out in contrast to some of the other pieces for sheer musical substance, although Coats' execution was strong all the way through. Cadets did not need electronic amplification at all...did not really add to their show...their brass tutti sound, whether at standstill or on the move was substantial.

• Like 1

Actually I thought their whole show was impressively close to the source material. After seeing them in the cinecast from Akron, I listened to all the original pieces on youtube and each one was "yeah, that sounds just like what they played". I have to imagine all the composers were pretty pleased with the treatment of their works.

And I totally agree with you about Bluecoats and electronics. Since 2005, they've done more than any other group to convince me that electronics should be legal in DCI. They almost always manage to use them in musically interesting ways that augment and enhance the traditional drum corps sound.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of that "processed" sound might actually be coming from synth patches in the pit.

However, the fact that the hornline consists of basically the same instrument just at different pitch ranges, the sound they make when playing a chorale like tune like Hymn of Acxiom sounds very similar to the sonority of a choir, with tightly woven voices moving together in harmony.

Whoever is arranging for Coats is doing a gold standard job at it.

Agreed. And yes, much of the sound was from the patches they used. I really enjoyed Coats' show. Very entertaining, and one of my favorites. They did a tremendous job of melding the horn and synth into a seamless synergy of sound. The pit/horn balance was off at semis, but they nailed it at finals. Pitch bend was a lot of fun, Acxiom was one of the best moments of the year, and for me, the bass drop (from the synth) at the end really made the ending work.

I do find it interesting how many of the "old school" types ate this show up, while it probably used more electronics and enhancements than any show ever. Lots of props out there too...eighteen ramps on the field the entire show, and I can't recall one complaint about all the stuff on the field. Very well done show, and it illuminates how much people can enjoy a program if they just sit back and take it in. I'm as much an "old skool" guy as any, but I enjoy a lot of this new stuff as well. Don't get me started on woodwinds, though. Gotta draw the line somewhere...

• Like 2