Let the Edits Begin...

Just checked the DCI store website and noticed the following edits listed for the 2014 DCI Vol. 2 DVD (13th place and later)

This DVD contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:

• Spirit of Atlanta- :21 of unlicensed material has been removed.
  • Jersey Surf- 2:54 of unlicensed material has been removed.
  • Cascades- :28 of unlicensed material has been removed.

The Spirit edit is also on the CD set - I'm assuming its one of the vocal tracks they used (Down to the River or I Need Thee Every Hour)

The Surf edit on the DVD is huge, almost 3 minutes. That stinks. Cascades edit - not sure what that is, but I don't know their show that well.

So far, no edits to the Top 12, which is nice. I guess that could change in a heartbeat though

leed17

• Like 1

In Surf's case, that sounds like an entire song being cut. Their 2014 repertoire was Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland, "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" by Randy Newman, and "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers. The last one was played last year by Boston and is on the CD and video, and the first one is played and recorded by corps all the time, so the problem might be the Randy Newman song; very little of his work has been used in drum corps before, and possibly only one of those drum corps uses has been recorded (music from Ragtime as played by Blue Devils in 2002).

The 'Ragtime' used by Blue Devils was the one in the musical of the same name, written by Stephen Flaherty.

The 'Ragtime' used by Blue Devils was the one in the musical of the same name, written by Stephen Flaherty.

Beat me to it.

I really liked that show, as "Ragtime" is one of my all-time favorite musicals. I saw it in NY in both its iterations. I think an entire corps/band show would be easy to program from that musical.

Just checked the DCI store website and noticed the following edits listed for the 2014 DCI Vol. 2 DVD (13th place and later)

This DVD contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:

• Spirit of Atlanta- :21 of unlicensed material has been removed.
  • Jersey Surf- 2:54 of unlicensed material has been removed.
  • Cascades- :28 of unlicensed material has been removed.

The Spirit edit is also on the CD set - I'm assuming its one of the vocal tracks they used (Down to the River or I Need Thee Every Hour)

The Surf edit on the DVD is huge, almost 3 minutes. That stinks. Cascades edit - not sure what that is, but I don't know their show that well.

So far, no edits to the Top 12, which is nice. I guess that could change in a heartbeat though

leed17

No Finalists: that's cool!

Someone tell CorpsReps, which was my source. Although I knew the song was from the 1996 musical--"The people called it ragtime"--not the 1981 movie (which Randy Newman did score), both based on the same E.L. Doctorow book (which is excellent, by the way), and should have checked; sorry.

What this means is that perhaps no DCI performance of Randy Newman's music has been officially recorded, which makes it even likelier that is what's been cut from Surf's show. We'll know soon enough!

Why does this happen year after year (albeit this year less than some)?

Maybe there should be a, say, 5-point penalty for performing unlicensed music. Although I believe that somewhere in DCI is where they keep track of performance licenses, so blame may rest in part there as well.

Why does this happen year after year (albeit this year less than some)?

Maybe there should be a, say, 5-point penalty for performing unlicensed music. Although I believe that somewhere in DCI is where they keep track of performance licenses, so blame may rest in part there as well.

There should be a penalty for items that have to have edits on souvenir videos and audio recordings?

It does detract from things when these edits are made, but it's not going to change. Design teams aren't going to leave things out of their show because a video or recording is slightly modified.

Another issue is that rights for usage, syncing, arranging, etc are very complex and change all the time, even after initial "yes" responses are given to the corps. Do also keep in mind that it is even more complicated with international copyright holders and publishers.