Blue Devils erased from Fan Network in 2014

afd

What rules are we changing? Corps are just adopting different styles.

Actually, I'm curious about something here. Of the two big changes last year (brass instrumentation and GE judging), the GE judging part got relatively little play on DCP. Michael Cesario said on Field Pass that the idea was that the judge can now look at other captions to help determine the emotion the corps is trying to express overall. I interpreted that to mean that the judge would still score based only on their own skill area - brass, percussion, or visual. In other words, I thought the cross-over would regard what the corps is expressing, not how well they are expressing it. The stated goal was to improve consistency between sections of the drum corps, so that if the guard is smiling during a sad solo, that can now hurt the score where previously both GE judges might have ignored it.

But I notice the GE judges are referred to as General Effect 1 and General Effect 2, with two judges in each category. This suggests they are all judging the same thing. This seems like a mistake. I wouldn't want a music teacher to judge how well the color guard is expressing itself. It's a lot easier to tell what mood they are trying to express (anyone in the arts should be able to do that), than how well they are expressing it (which requires specialized knowledge, right?).

What rules are we changing? Corps are just adopting different styles.

Today? Nothing, but recently a whole bunch. Over the last 15 years? Even more.

Lots of props and talking are en vougue right now, so when many to most corps do it, it's not really weird or unusual.

I will say that some corps REALLY hit it out of the park this year ( Blue Knights), while other corps didn't (Cadets). ( Disclaimer -> for me.)

This year was the year that everyone followed the Blue Devils into the world of lots of props. This is also the year of a bunch of talking from many corps.

I know we can make a bunch of arguments for and against, but what I saw was not unusual for the marching arts, but it was for DCI. Not too much was really weird. Maybe Colts' show? But I liked that one just because...

Today? Nothing, but recently a whole bunch. Over the last 15 years? Even more.

Lots of props and talking are en vougue right now, so when many to most corps do it, it's not really weird or unusual.

I will say that some corps REALLY hit it out of the park this year ( Blue Knights), while other corps didn't (Cadets). ( Disclaimer -> for me.)

This year was the year that everyone followed the Blue Devils into the world of lots of props. This is also the year of a bunch of talking from many corps.

I know we can make a bunch of arguments for and against, but what I saw was not unusual for the marching arts, but it was for DCI. Not too much was really weird. Maybe Colts' show? But I liked that one just because...

Hi Jeff,

There were alot of props back in the 90s also If remember correctly but I dont think anyone is following BD. I do think that designers decide to spread their own wings and explore, as they should IMO. I agree I don't think there was much " weird " but then again there can be a debate what's weird to begin with. Like everything in life , whats in vougue ,as you say one day, is the norm the next.

Well, I am 61, and I LOVED BD this year. Might be my favorite BD show ever; I first saw them in 76.

no one ever called you normal LOL.I too highly enjoyed BD this year, the most since 2006

Edited by Jeff Ream

BD consistently uses gorgeous white minimalist stick figure props. These were particularly effective in 2011. It was visually busy this year, but it was about movies so it's not surprising they went with movie symbols. Nobody is likely to copy this style exactly, but you might see the use of a single stark color - black, say, or red. It's the trick of how to copy without copying.

Well pbeau was kinda busy this past weekend..... :cool:

Hi Jeff,

There were alot of props back in the 90s also If remember correctly but I don't think anyone is following BD. I do think that designers decide to spread their own wings and explore, as they should IMO. I agree I don't think there was much " weird " but then again there can be a debate what's weird to begin with. Like everything in life , whats in vougue ,as you say one day, is the norm the next.

Hey Guardling!

I remember that SCV had a few props back then in different years ( Red Poppy), Phantom used their hats as props a bit here and there, and BD used a tarp in 1990, but there's wasn't the level of props that we witnessed this year, and good ole Rondinero and Deluca even commented on that in the telecast. It was an arms race this year for props.

Here's how I see it currently...

I believe that the props "IN DCI" got started in it's current incarnation with several years of BD scoring well in DCI with props starting with the poles in 2008 in their constantly Risking Absurdity show, and continuing every year there after with chairs, poles, PVC, et cetera.... then Crown does well with props last year, and Bluecoats too, AND Boom.... Everyone is looking for that extra edge and we get BD, Bloo, Cadets, SCV, Crown, Cavies, BK, BS, Boston, Madison, Crossmen, Colts, et cetera ad nosium now playing with props in the same year....

Same with all the other "new" bells and whistles...

In the past, you'd get a corps or two trying some props. Not any more... This was not even that new in the marching arts activity, as lots of stuff had been done at BOA and WGI before.

Heck, even Zingali and Star had their hampster cages back in '86.... Difference is back then it was the exception, now it's the rule. It just seems that BD has been leading the way with that....

Hey Guardling!

I remember that SCV had a few props back then in different years ( Red Poppy), Phantom used their hats as props a bit here and there, and BD used a tarp in 1990, but there's wasn't the level of props that we witnessed this year, and good ole Rondinero and Deluca even commented on that in the telecast. It was an arms race this year for props.

Here's how I see it currently...

I believe that the props "IN DCI" got started in it's current incarnation with several years of BD scoring well in DCI with props starting with the poles in 2008 in their constantly Risking Absurdity show, and continuing every year there after with chairs, poles, PVC, et cetera.... then Crown does well with props last year, and Bluecoats too, AND Boom.... Everyone is looking for that extra edge and we get BD, Bloo, Cadets, SCV, Crown, Cavies, BK, BS, Boston, Madison, Crossmen, Colts, et cetera ad nosium now playing with props in the same year....

Same with all the other "new" bells and whistles...

In the past, you'd get a corps or two trying some props. Not any more... This was not even that new in the marching arts activity, as lots of stuff had been done at BOA and WGI before.

Heck, even Zingali and Star had their hampster cages back in '86.... Difference is back then it was the exception, now it's the rule. It just seems that BD has been leading the way with that....

Hey Jeff,

I agree with all those who has props in the 90s and 80s also remember Cadets western show?, those things were huge. lol

SCVs red poppy was visually one of my fav. shows

I think at times there is a mis conception some have that designers believe they need something because BD or a top corps is doing something to be successful. I know maybe there are a few who might do this BUT I do think for the most part what happens is the creativity of some sparks creativity in others and THIS gives the green light. Not, to do something to be successful.

You're right about new , if many do something then it just becomes the new norm and isnt new anymore, Then it becomes all about the how something is done which then can separate and could be unique again in some way

Edited by GUARDLING