Funny Accidents on the Field?

Nah hornteacher, Hershey Park doesn't let you bring your own food into their places (1980 DCA was held at HP Stadium).

Memories of a friend almost decking someone who grabbed the handle of her tote bag at Hershey Park one year. It was a Park employee checking for smuggled food. Turned out the bag was for her baby had mostly had diapers. "Too bad he didn't grab on the way out".

Over the years ( both pre DCI and the DCI years ), theres been a few unfortunate Drum Corps " wardrobe malfunction " incidents that would have made Janet Jackson's infamous Super Bowl halftime performance" wardrobe malfunction " seem rather tame by comparison.

Edited by BRASSO

I always meant to add this to the collisions threads that popup.

1990 Bluecoats first show of the season. North Central High School in Indianapolis if I remember correctly. Opening set is a giant X with parallel lines. So really, it is more of a block X. Classic Brubaker geometric move as parallel lines collapse into each one and it splashes into a lined X before pulling into 4 extracting diamonds. Due to it being the first show, the judges hadn't had any experience on placement for reads yet. Drums were horizontal groups at the center of the X. Drum judge setup to start with the battery. Near the middle of the X, but just to the audience-left. In-between one of the parallel lines. Facing the battery.

http---makeagifcom--media-10-01-2013-QUi

This was the first year for allowing 3 or 4 valve horns. Bluecoats spent some scratch to start off with brand new 3 valve contras. You can't tell in the fuzzy picture, but one of those lines around the new judge consisted of this brand new contra line. Never before used in performance. Watch the GIF below and visualize what happened to the drum judge, and how a brand new contra got crushed at the first show.

http---makeagif.com--media-10-01-2013-QU

The next day the battery was instructed to immediately communicate to any new drum judge in that pre-show location regarding their impending doom.

EDIT: Drum judge and contra player went down. Nobody was injured, other than probably Bluecoats bank account a bit. And obviously it recovered fine. Could have been nasty, but a funny story today.

Edited by mingusmonk

I always meant to add this to the collisions threads that popup.

1990 Bluecoats first show of the season. North Central High School in Indianapolis if I remember correctly. Opening set is a giant X with parallel lines. So really, it is more of a block X. Classic Brubaker geometric move as parallel lines collapse into each one and it splashes into a lined X before pulling into 4 extracting diamonds. Due to it being the first show, the judges hadn't had any experience on placement for reads yet. Drums were horizontal groups at the center of the X. Drum judge setup to start with the battery. Near the middle of the X, but just to the audience-left. In-between one of the parallel lines. Facing the battery.

http---makeagifcom--media-10-01-2013-QUi

This was the first year for allowing 3 or 4 valve horns. Bluecoats spent some scratch to start off with brand new 3 valve contras. You can't tell in the fuzzy picture, but one of those lines around the new judge consisted of this brand new contra line. Never before used in performance. Watch the GIF below and visualize what happened to the drum judge, and how a brand new contra got crushed at the first show.

http---makeagif.com--media-10-01-2013-QU

The next day the battery was instructed to immediately communicate to any new drum judge in that pre-show location regarding their impending doom.

EDIT: Drum judge and contra player went down. Nobody was injured, other than probably Bluecoats bank account a bit. And obviously it recovered fine. Could have been nasty, but a funny story today.

Gotta go watch this on the FN or pull down my classics collection to watch on a bigger window.

OK Fran jogged my memory. 1979 Brick(?), NJ which turned into a exhibition in a monsoon. First off we (Westshoremen) went to watch part of DCI East Prelims at Allentown as a treat instead of beating us to death at practice. On the way to NJ the skies darkened and.... we couldn't find the freaking stadium. Bus drivers actually would see people in the front yard and stop to ask directions. One time they pointed they way we had just come. We get to the show and it is pouring, think "No way" and then see a corps out there doing their thing.

We had new unis so did the exhibition (competition cancelled) in street clothes (did the same thing for the same reason at a parade day of DCI). Middle of the concert number I notice that the lights are temporary and the poles are swinging away in the (newly started) gale force winds. Wondering about the poles going over when we see a huge light bulb(?) fall out of one of the poles. Landed right behind the DM (he didn't see it coming) with a crash and he jumped but kept directing. He had a rough year as he was a rookie and this just added to the crap he put up with.

PS next year same DM had the doves on his shoulders... miss ya Mark (RIP)

Oh man... that show in Brick was nuts.

To this day, I'm amazed the show wasn't called off... or, at the very least, the corps weren't pulled off the field until the lightning and thunder had gone away. It was flat-out dangerous out there.

Thankfully, that is something that is carefully monitored at current drum corps and band shows.

• Like 1

Nah hornteacher, Hershey Park doesn't let you bring your own food into their places (1980 DCA was held at HP Stadium).

Memories of a friend almost decking someone who grabbed the handle of her tote bag at Hershey Park one year. It was a Park employee checking for smuggled food. Turned out the bag was for her baby had mostly had diapers. "Too bad he didn't grab on the way out".

I was thinking more along the lines of what happened, out of understandable frustration, to all the birds once the collecting process was completed.

• Like 1

1990 Bluecoats first show of the season. North Central High School in Indianapolis if I remember correctly. Opening set is a giant X with parallel lines. So really, it is more of a block X. Classic Brubaker geometric move as parallel lines collapse into each one and it splashes into a lined X before pulling into 4 extracting diamonds.

I'm quite fond of that 1990 show. Nice job using graphics to explain the accident!

• Like 2

Just bought 75 DVD and thought I saw something going on but forgot to go back to watch again. Adding it to my watching list after the puppy (avatar) gets more house broken.

And Fran, I did Brick the same way you did Gloversville, blind from rain on the glasses. scary stuff......

Fake collision ca 1977..... Skyliners doing "Give My Regards To Broadway" as horn line has 3 or 4 member files crossing each other. The files get closer... and closer... then some guys run into each other and the music breaks down. Few seconds of confusion then they start the "Traffic Jam". Nothing like punking the crowd and it's a riot on the recording.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There's that semi-famous incident when the Blue Devils performed half of their show in complete darkness, in 1999.