Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Does anyone else miss seeing the staff down on the field at finals, well most years before LOS, where the staff was in front of the corps by the DM jumping up and down and celebrating the corps?

I always enjoyed watching that on the videos and miss seeing it, now that most of them go into the stands.

Does anyone else miss seeing the staff down on the field at finals, well most years before LOS, where the staff was in front of the corps by the DM jumping up and down and celebrating the corps?

I always enjoyed watching that on the videos and miss seeing it, now that most of them go into the stands.

The Bluecoats staff did that on a regular basis this season and were constantly criticized by some a**holes for doing so. My high school band director always went crazy during our shows and I definitely think it's so great to watch the staff appreciate all the hard work they and the whole corps has put in to perfect that big impact moment.

• Like 1

The Bluecoats staff did that on a regular basis this season and were constantly criticized by some a**holes for doing so. My high school band director always went crazy during our shows and I definitely think it's so great to watch the staff appreciate all the hard work they and the whole corps has put in to perfect that big impact moment.

I don't miss them there. As a fan/spectator they are distracting and look silly, as a fellow staff member I'd say act like you've been there before, as an MM I would be mortified that they would seem to be so immature, high schoolish. I wouldn't need a cheerleader. Just my opinion.

One of the hidden treasures of older finals recordings is the occasional staff comment drifting into the microphone. I recall the whoops and congratulations the SCV staff was getting from the judges after the final gun of their 1981 show. Phantom's staff was amusingly vocal that year, too.

I'll take the improved quality of today's recordings over the quality of 35 years ago, but I do miss intimacy of the older recordings.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

I don't know, I always enjoyed it as a member because these people work you all season long, and to see them so excited, with tears in their eyes, knowing you all had gone through this experience together was fun. As a director/staff person with marching bands and drum corps, I know my students have always enjoyed it.

On another note, I actually had a guy behind me at finals this year get angry that I stood up and cheered for corps when something struck me. He told me in not so many words that I should only leave my seat at the end of a performance, to get concessions/bathroom, and be seated before the corps came out of the tunnel. That didn't happen, but I guess we all have varied opinions on the subject.

As for the staff bleeding onto the microphones, that was always fun too.

That's a shame. They're showing love and admiration for this mutual product they produced, I don't see the harm.

Despite their antics on the sidelines, the staff is not the show.

Let the kids shine. Sit down, shut up, and let them be the show.

Is it any different than a parent standing up during the show and screaming "That's my boy! Yea Jimmy!" (cowbell ensues)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

He told me in not so many words that I should only leave my seat at the end of a performance, to get concessions/bathroom.....................

Hence, perfect time to take off a loaded "Depends", turn around and say----

"In order to be cordial and kind and not obstruct your view or hinder your enjoyment of the past corps' performance-----------here's my loaded "Depends", if you would be kind enough to return the favor and dispose of it for me."

Edited by bill

Is the faculty member reacting from genine spontaneous emotion, cheerleading, or meant to spark a crowd interest as well?

Does the seating of the staff (or their position when not seated) interfere with viewing by the paid spectators?

Is the emotional response of the faculty member pure reaction to the corps members or somehow colored by the placement bonus which "some" corps pay at the end of the season based on caption and/or contest placements?

Is the viewer in the stands presuming every reaction is cerebral (better or only) or are other reactions/reactors so effusive that they are embarrassing?

In stadia as large as Georgiadome, San Antonio, LOS, MetLife, etc., does one person's reaction generate influence at all, is it communicative of feelings toward the performers, or are these but an outlet of the viewer's emotions qua viewer?

No black or white answers here at all.

But just like maids or butlers, paid help should step aside and let the performers benefit from the attention.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

The staff used to have places on the field at shows, and at times it was entertaining, at other times it was a distraction. However, what annoys me more is what we see today, at finals and at other shows as well: staff going to the stands, taking what are viewed as available seats, complaining when asked to move by the person who paid for the seat, and disrupting the show. What I do enjoy is when staff members ask if anyone is sitting in the empty spots, take the empty seats, show genuine enthusiasm for the show and corps and make it fun. Most of the time I experience the staff in a positive light, but some can be self important and ironically, they can be the first to jump ship and work with another corps.

So when the staff enhances the experience, I enjoy it. When they become the show, it turns me off.

Solution: provide good seats at shows for staff with close proximity to the field so staff can watch the corps perform.

• Like 1