Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Staff jumping up and down in an animated way down on the track during shows is no problem to me. its like football Coaches showing honest and happy emotion along the sidelines when their team makes a great play or scores a TD or FG.

But staff that come up to the stands and push themselves beside you and proceed to talk throughout the show to other staffers beside them, and to scream and holler from THERE.... these staff I want to kick them in their "lower extremities" ( my polite phrase)... as its rude and inconsiderate to the paying customer that doesn't need that noise and disruption interference from them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I don't miss them there. As a fan/spectator they are distracting and look silly, as a fellow staff member I'd say act like you've been there before, as an MM I would be mortified that they would seem to be so immature, high schoolish. I wouldn't need a cheerleader. Just my opinion.

Despite their antics on the sidelines, the staff is not the show.

Let the kids shine. Sit down, shut up, and let them be the show.

Is it any different than a parent standing up during the show and screaming "That's my boy! Yea Jimmy!" (cowbell ensues)

These two posts annoy me the MOST. If your attention span is too short that you're paying more attention to the staff going bonkers than paying attention to the actual show, then maybe you should go watch the Opera instead.

It's a DRUM CORPS SHOW. It's not meant to be an uptight example of keeping the crowd quiet. People are meant to go crazy, the staff included. I enjoy when the staff goes nuts during a show. It gives me goosebumps knowing they appreciate what they're MMs are doing.

When I marched, the hornline struggled to try to get that reaction from Gino Cipriani and the very first time he did it, we were even more motivated to have even better shows.

• Like 6

These two posts annoy me the MOST. If your attention span is too short that you're paying more attention to the staff going bonkers than paying attention to the actual show, then maybe you should go watch the Opera instead.

It's a DRUM CORPS SHOW. It's not meant to be an uptight example of keeping the crowd quiet. People are meant to go crazy, the staff included. I enjoy when the staff goes nuts during a show. It gives me goosebumps knowing they appreciate what they're MMs are doing.

When I marched, the hornline struggled to try to get that reaction from Gino Cipriani and the very first time he did it, we were even more motivated to have even better shows.

Right on the money.

• Like 1

Well, I found it very hard to enjoy one World Class corps' 2013 show (a corps I am inclined to cheer for myself) when I saw it in Pittsburgh because their staff, sitting quite close to me, cheered every ten seconds for each minor achievement the corps made. I do not exaggerate. I've encountered the same nonsense from a number of Open Class staffs as well over the past few years. Typically these are the only people in the audience cheering for most of the show. There might have been more people cheering more often, but people get turned off by what feels like plants in the audience: the corps can't win the praise honestly, so their staff try to milk the crowd for them. No matter their actual intent, this is how it feels to many people.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Staff jumping up and down in an animated way down on the track during shows is no problem to me. its like football Coaches showing honest and happy emotion along the sidelines when their team makes a great play or scores a TD or FG.

But staff that come up to the stands and push themselves beside you and proceed to talk throughout the show to other staffers beside them, and to scream and holler from THERE.... these staff I want to kick them in their "lower extremities" ( my polite phrase)... as its rude and inconsiderate to the paying customer that doesn't need that noise and disruption interference from them.

It's OK, Brasso, you can say "shin" on here. :tounge2:

My seats have been on the 50 for years, and I've always requested an aisle. As a consequence, BITD when staff was allowed up in the stands during the show (they're not allowed today) I had both the pleasure and displeasure of having prominent staff members sit right next to me on the aisle steps. A few were great, like Zingali - I watched him more than the show one night. The vast majority were idiot screamers who didn't mind who they displeased to get their "final read" of their show and, supposedly with their antics, whip up the excitement of the crowd. I was SOOOOOOO happy when staff was banished from the stands.

In one instance - in Indy - I think they look like idiots dancing around on the sidelines, but I'm more reserved - I just cry with my arms crossed. I don't fault their enthusiasm, but I respect an outward expression that they realize it's not about them. IMO, sitting off to the side to let the kids bask in the audience reaction is the highest honor the staff can give at that moment.

Imagine that crazy buffoon acting that way in the stands - it's a common courtesy well entrenched in drum corps. Just because he's down on the sidelines doesn't mean he's not a distraction to my enjoyment of what the kids are doing. IMO, and particularly in Indy, staff should be invisible during the show performance.

During the season, I sympathize with staff's desire to get a high-read of the show. Most HS stadiums have great vantage points that are not common for most corps - usually the higher-ranking corps are housed at the show stadium, so I don't mind staff in the aisles at local shows, if they keep their mouths shut and "read".

Of course, I'm only here to annoy you and, of course, Gino is a high bar.

I've seen TONS of Gino vids where he goes nuts, all the way back to SCV.

Maybe you guys just sucked.

:tounge2:

Honest to God, I hope you laughed at my last. I meant it ONLY as a joke and I think you know how much I appreciated your shows.

But maybe we're looking at this from two sides of the sidelines and those views aren't the same.

And I'm finding it hard to believe that you never experienced Gino's praise and glorification except during that ONE run-through that day (the show performance). Really?

And on finals night, was Gino's praise the goal?

From the stands, staff antics are an irritating distraction directly in the line of sight. If they went beserk in the press box behind me, or in a tunnel, I wouldn't care.

Again, I appreciate their enthusiasm, of course. Seeing "your baby" come to life in the hands of "your kids" is a rush I've not experienced enough in my life. But, during a performance in front of fans, staff should be invisible.

Edited by garfield

Honest to God, I hope you laughed at my last. I meant it ONLY as a joke and I think you know how much I appreciated your shows.

But maybe we're looking at this from two sides of the sidelines and those views aren't the same.

And I'm finding it hard to believe that you never experienced Gino's praise and glorification except during that ONE run-through that day (the show performance). Really?

And on finals night, was Gino's praise the goal?

From the stands, staff antics are an irritating distraction directly in the line of sight. If they went beserk in the press box behind me, or in a tunnel, I wouldn't care.

Again, I appreciate their enthusiasm, of course. Seeing "your baby" come to life in the hands of "your kids" is a rush I've not experienced enough in my life. But, during a performance in front of fans, staff should be invisible.

People yelling during the "quiet" part of a performance is irritating. People with their crying infant kids are irritating. People on their smartphones are irritating. People clapping are irritating. Life is irritating.

Seriously. Maybe you guys find it distracting, but I'm usually too busy going crazy myself at a drum corps show to even know WHERE ANY corps staff is. I just think there is too much of a big deal being made about people cheering on their corps.

And yes, I was dead serious about what I said about trying to impress Gino. It was his first year with the corps and he had very high standards. Ask anyone else who marched the hornline in 2000 and they'll tell you the same thing.

Does anyone else miss seeing the staff down on the field at finals, well most years before LOS, where the staff was in front of the corps by the DM jumping up and down and celebrating the corps?

I always enjoyed watching that on the videos and miss seeing it, now that most of them go into the stands.

I think many corps' staff still do this at finals, but nowadays they get criticized for doing it. There's nothing wrong with getting hyped about something you personally put effort into.